Karma Queen - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Focal
Dang it, I'm out of karma!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
don't you think the only way to make the 2 karma limit work would be to start everyone over? Just zap it, reset all karma points.
The current limit, as Rich stated, has been around for a while; and karma was reset not that awful long ago (at least it doesn't seem like that long ago - maybe 2 yrs?). If Karma has to be continually reset to accommodate new members, why bother having it - at least in the capacity of a running score?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The current limit, as Rich stated, has been around for a while; and karma was reset not that awful long ago (at least it doesn't seem like that long ago - maybe 2 yrs?). If Karma has to be continually reset to accommodate new members, why bother having it - at least in the capacity of a running score?
I agree that resetting it multiple times, or continuously would be not only be a hassle but would make the karma system pointless. All I am saying is, if 2 points every 24 hours is going to be permanent, reset it at this point, only once, to level things out a bit and give the new people a chance to catch up.

But as I think about this more, if you did reset the points, left it at 2 a day, someone who signs up 2 years from now will have a long ways to go to catch up. So it would be kinda pointless to reset the system now. I now see your point. But like others said, even if you are very careful in selecting who gets your 2 karma points a day, it still isn't enough. 4 a day would be the perfect number in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
hhmoore
Remember when the karma power got reduced last summer?
That one wasn't a total reset (I know those have happened 2-3 times since I started here), but it did sort of level the playing field a bit.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Focal
Quote:
Remember when the karma power got reduced last summer?
That one wasn't a total reset (I know those have happened 2-3 times since I started here), but it did sort of level the playing field a bit.
Not to a degree that makes a difference. If someone earned 100 good karma hits, went rogue and deserved negative karma, it would take (just a guess) 1000 bad karma hits now to break even with the 100 good hits.

On the other side, I don't know why I am even sticking up for them, but fair is fair. Look at the members with the highest ranking negative karma. I'm a believer that people can change their ways and turn the tides, however, those with a 100 negative hits, will now need 1000 positives to break even.

Now the people with tons of positive karma won't even get scratched by a negative hit, but the same goes for those deeply in neg karma before the change. Any positive changes will be hindered, in a way, making it harder for bad guys to become good guys again.

With such low amount of karma to be awarded now, we have pretty much become stuck in time.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
hhmoore
Not really. The effect of a hit - positive or negative - is relative to the person pushing the button. In the event of a negative, only half of the giver's rep power is deducted from the recipients karma "score"; whereas, for a positive, the recipient get's the full number of points added.
According to my User CP, I have 9944 karma points. My rep power is 47. If I give you positive karma, it will add 47 points to your total....if I give you negative, it will only take away 24 (I rounded up - not sure if the system would do 23 or 24). One person with a karma power of 24, or higher, could negate a negative that I give.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
mxracer4life
Quote:
Not really. The effect of a hit - positive or negative - is relative to the person pushing the button. In the event of a negative, only half of the giver's rep power is deducted from the recipients karma "score"; whereas, for a positive, the recipient get's the full number of points added.
According to my User CP, I have 9944 karma points. My rep power is 47. If I give you positive karma, it will add 47 points to your total....if I give you negative, it will only take away 24 (I rounded up - not sure if the system would do 23 or 24). One person with a karma power of 24, or higher, could negate a negative that I give.
I honestly did not know it worked like this. I was focusing on the whole 2 karma a day problem when it really depends on WHO is giving you the karma.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
hhmoore
That said, I suspect that in some cases, there is a form of abuse happening...because I would be willing to bet that a lot of people use negative karma for things other than "particularly bad posts". I will grant that the descriptor is highly subjective, and even that - when feuding - people's biases play a role; but I have seen a lot of pretty benign posts get negative karma. Then again, positive karma is also given out pretty freely by a lot of people, so

Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
EvergladesExotics
I like the idea of positive and negative consequences for good/bad posts. However I dont necessarily like that the weight of the karma given is dictated by how much the giver has. Like in my case for instance, I would really like to show which posts I like, but since I have no karma of my own, the karma I give is practically meaningless... and since each member is only allowed 2 karmas a day and there are so many posts here on a daily basis, I don't see my karma level rising any time in the near future. So I like the karma system, I just think it would be a little better if every members karma had the same weight and we each were able to give out say 4 or 5 a day. Just my $0.2

Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvergladesExotics View Post
I like the idea of positive and negative consequences for good/bad posts. However I dont necessarily like that the weight of the karma given is dictated by how much the giver has. Like in my case for instance, I would really like to show which posts I like, but since I have no karma of my own, the karma I give is practically meaningless...
But really...it seems like too many people are hung up on what their "total score" is, and not what the whole "giving karma" should really mean. It's a pat on the back, an "atta boy/girl"....or on the flip side, a smack upside the head when deserved.

I guess what I am trying to say Bridgette, is that even if the karma you give is "worthless" when it comes to a point value, it still would make me smile to see you thinking enough of my post to give me an "atta girl". So it wouldn't be "meaningless" at all, to me anyway. Does that make sense?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!