Too many sub-forums! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Wilderness
Too many sub-forums!

This is just my opinion. I don't expect anyone else to agree.

I think this site has too many sub-forums for the average amount of active users. I joined yesterday and have posted ten times and I still haven't actually conversed with anyone. I know that's not exactly catastrophic, but the other three animal forums I frequent are atleast 3x more active, and they aren't even remotely popular (I bet most people here never would have heard of them) Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer less-active forums to the ones where your post gets lost in three seconds, but the purpose of a forum is to communicate with people, and this site sort of reminds me of the tooth fairy in a way... I leave a message in the morning and sit and stare at it forever and I don't see a reply until I wake up the next day. I just think that reducing the number of sub-forums could reduce this effect. I also think that several of the sub-forums could be merged with eachother, meaning a higher concentration of active users in each category. Many of them have the same basic threads posted anyway. It's also a little confusing to scroll and scroll and scroll around so many sub-forums, and it makes the site look rather untidy.

I'm positive that, being a newcomer, I'll likely get bombarded with outrage, but on the off-chance that I don't.... Well.... I'd actually be amazed if one person agreed with me. Atleast I voiced my opinion!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
rcarichter
Hi Lindsey!
I think that once you've been here awhile, you'll find specific subforums that appeal to you, and you'll get to know the folks who hang around in those places. I, for instance, rarely look through the snake categories, but post a good gecko story and I'm on it!
So, give us chance.

Noelle

Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Wilderness
Oh, I like alot of the subforums, I just think there are ALOT of them for the amount of users around. It just doesn't seem like a very lively forum... Unless (as someone else pointed out) everyone is recovering from celebrating.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
rcarichter
There are usually around 1000 actively on the site at any given time. Holidays can be a bit slow, but even right this minute there are 800+ of us hanging out.

Noelle

Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
That is a heck of opinion and judgement call after joining the site 1 day previous.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Dennis Hultman
The amount of users around? On a holiday weekend you are going to join a site when most people are out celebrating the new year and proclaim it's not a lively site? Interesting...

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Actually, your first post was this morning.
Quote:
I joined yesterday and have posted ten times and I still haven't actually conversed with anyone

And it was responded to before you started this thread. So what gives?

You made your first post at 7:41 this morning (my time).
Your next couple of posts came a couple of hours later. Within five hours on New Years morning you proclaim the site dead.

The only thing you posted that hasn't been responded to is a classified ad and the majority of user can't reply within a ad.

So the whole bit about joining yesterday and waiting a day for a reply is just outright untrue. You didn't post anything yesterday.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Salzy
This isn't the BOI Dennis...I don't think you needed to research into this new user and point these things out. She's stating what she sees and I think she did it in a tactful manner, regardless of when she posted and how many times. As you can see, I don't post here a lot at all either. Most of my posts are ads, and when I delete them when they get old, it's drawing my post count down.

I've also noticed that some of the forums don't seem to be too active, but I've also been around long enough to know that a huge majority of people are here to post ads (like myself) and also for the BOI. The BOI is huge and is drawing in a ton of traffic because there isn't anything else out there quite the same.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Salzy This isn't the BOI Dennis...I don't think you needed to research into this new user and point these things out. She's stating what she sees and I think she did it in a tactful manner, regardless of when she posted and how many times.

She's not being truthful with her statements. She hasn't waited very long for any responses. While it is true that some forums don't have the traffic and her statements may be tactful but coming from someone who register within 24 hours on New Years that is a very limited view to make a assessment of any kind. Don't you think?

As for researching, the fact is I wanted to know what she was talking about "not getting any replies". So yes, I think it is worth looking at what she is complaining about and it simply isn't true.

Also of the nine posts made within a few hours before this thread this morning, one was a reply to a post made nine years ago. A couple in response to posts a couple of months old, One to create a ad, one in the welcome room (which has replies by the way), One was to offer to be a moderator here, One a state specific law question. Not exactly prime conversational posts for every user particularly on new years morning.

I welcome her to the site but at least take a little while to look under the hood before you start telling us what is wrong with it.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Salzy
What's the difference? Isn't that what this specific forum is for? My point is that she laid out what she felt, and you are jumping down her throat about it. Perhaps she is making too quick of assumptions, but it's an opinion and if others share the same thoughts, then so be it. It's a Feedback forum right? Do you and the other moderators and admins want feedback or not? I'm assuming that if people get responses like yours, then maybe this site isn't willing to make changes and listen to the "common" person.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!