LAY BIN FOR DRAGONS. PLUS A BOUNS! Dragons laying, babies hatching GOOD stuff here - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
dragonluver83
LAY BIN FOR DRAGONS. PLUS A BOUNS! Dragons laying, babies hatching GOOD stuff here

I have been having a high volume of e-mails about "lay bins" what should i put her in? how big of a lay bin? should i put a lay bin in the cage? what kind of soil? sand, vermiculite any thing else? how much depth (of soil) does she need?

So i was going to put up a few pictures of a lay bin and how i have mine setup. And as i was doing so i had a hypo het trans female that was ready to lay. So i have some extra pics for you!!

As you can see from the pictures on how much soil i use and high deep it is and what kinda lay bin setup i have. Also i keep the soil on a slant. it has work best for me is i do it this way. 75% or more of the time the female digs right into the slanted area. ( the soil i use is the expandable forest bedding or exo-earth.. No i dont like sand. it will scratch up the females snout, forearms, and feet. i have personally done it. its just like sand paper this stuff is much more forgivable) The soil is not soaking wet... Its between damp and wet. (if that makes sense) no water should be dripping from your hand when you have a hand full. Even if you give it alittle squeeze. NO dripping water Two things that are not pictured that are important. There is a heat pad kept on the bottom of the lay bin. this keeps and warm and produces humidity. which brings in the other part. when your dragon is not in the lay bin you should keep the regular normal lid (no holes with secure latch) on the top to keep the moisture in. It works great. And when you start seeing dry soil on the top add very little water and mix the bottom really well with the soil on top.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
dragonluver83
More pics

Here the female is done and packing here nest.. I pull out EVERY female when there done laying and put them in a tub of water.. the get to re-hydrate and take a bath. as she is doing that i am trying to remember where she layed her clutch. but i found them and moved them to there container and put them in there incubator.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
dragonluver83
Yes more pics. i took the time atleast look at them..:)

20 fertile eggs..(M) HYPO leatherback X (F) Hypo het translucent.

I stuck her back in her cage with her cage mate for a snack.(super worms) she was only interested in one but it should be offered. And the next three or four days her cage mate pictured should be in the same bin doing the same thing!
that cross is a, (M) double het leatherback X (F) hypo -translucent.

For the ones that asked i hoped this helped you. For the ones that already knew hope you found this to be some what interesting.

ANYONE else that has extra info or that would like to add to this thread please do so.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
mmdragons
nice and pictures too.
Max

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
elkmillbillyreptiles
Man I need to meet you. I'll be at havre de grace. Good stuff I'll be ready to breed in 6 months.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkmillbillyreptiles View Post
Man I need to meet you. I'll be at havre de grace. Good stuff I'll be ready to breed in 6 months.
Man i tried to hook - up with you at the last show... i have already payed Larry for the next table, I will be setup with my g.f. (if she goes). Come up and hang out...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
dragonluver83
Thanks Max

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
BMK.
Very cool info Tom!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
bliss
Hey Tom, great pictures man.

One thing I've been wondering that I didn't find in your post (or, maybe I missed it in your post?)... I've read to not "turn" the eggs when moving them from the lay bin to the incubator. Whenever I read that, i'm not which which way of "turning" they are talking about, on a "Y-axis" or "X-axis" type turn?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
angie.h
That is not true...you can move the eggs without worrying if you are just getting them from the lay box into the incubating box. I would only be more careful if some days have elapsed and then you should try to move them according to the way they are laid.. I take mine out pretty much the way they are laid but it's not possible when they are stacked,even some of them on their ends or being scattered about as you dig them up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!