John Moore or MooreSnakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
ljsreptiles
John Moore or MooreSnakes

Take this for what you will. I sold John 2 baby bredli for cheap, only $325 shipped. So that was only $162.50 each. Now I have no issues with reselling an animal. John put one of the snakes up for sale about 2 days after getting it, asking $600. I just happen to think that is a bad business practices. I have no problems with making a profit, but a mark up like that is just basically robbing people. John is a nice person to deal with and talk to, aside from all this. I just felt like i should sau something, becuase I myself would be pissed if i paid such an extreme mark up like that for no reason.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Jim O
C'mon, Leslie, that's a cheap shot. He owns the snake he can do what he wants with it. And just because he's asking that price doesn't mean hell get it. And what if he does? Does that mean you sold it too cheaply?

You complaint might have more merit if you were the one who spent hours on breeding and incubating the hatchlings and getting them started. But we all know that you brokered them yourself. And you offered them for sale within a day or two of receiving them. Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with brokering. There isn't. But this just sounds like so much sour grapes.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
ljsreptiles
I see your point. Like i said, i have no problems with reselling. I did the same thing. I bought 19 of them, and kept a few for myself and started selling the rest. I don't deny that at all. I wish John the best of luck to get $600 for the snake, i highly doubt he will. I just feel thats wrong to jack the price up that high. I mean we are all in this becuase of our love for the animals, and to make money. Yes i sold it cheap. I was originally asking $200 plus shipping. I wanted to move out my last few, and i sold them to him. He also bought 4 from me when i first put them up for sale. I'm not labeling him as a BAD GUY, I just think this situation is wrong, and wanted to state that. Nothing more

Old 05-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
hhmoore
keep in mind, the people that see his ad will likely have already seen yours. if they wouldn't pop for the $200, they sure aren't going to step up for 3x that (unless they figure more $ = better quality, or someone that doesn't know the going price suddenly decides they gotta have 'em). bottom dropped out on those guys pretty quick :-(

(btw - no relation)

Old 05-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
This is the lamest BOI thread I've ever read.

I'm really sick of people trying to dictate to someone the price of an animal they own.

If I sell someone something for $100, I don't care if they turn around and put $1000 on it or for that matter if I sell someone something for $20 and they sell it for $10.

It is THEIR ANIMAL TO SELL i.e. none of my business. That also means it's none of your business what that person asks for his animals.

Why do you care anyway? If it's priced too high, no one will buy it. Sounds simple to me.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsreptiles
I just felt like i should sau something, becuase I myself would be pissed if i paid such an extreme mark up like that for no reason.
Have you ever purchased a reptile from a pet store? Because that's about what the markup is. If someone pays the $600 for it, then they probably feel that it's worth that much to them. (That or they don't shop around to find out what the average prices are) Just my opinion.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
nicolai
karen has a point...

I think that any good bussiness person is going to sell what he has for as much money as he can, its only good business sense. Why would you want to sell anything cheaper then what someone is willing to pay for it.
Leslie, I dont think you wiould be a good contestant on " The Apprentice", Donald would fry you for a state ment like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsreptiles
. I just happen to think that is a bad business practices. I have no problems with making a profit, but a mark up like that is just basically robbing people.
It all based on supply and demand the the customers willingess to pay the asking price. If he sells them for that price then Kudos to him!!! I know how it is doing shows and people want to nickle and dime you on everything you have, and if they dont want to pay a certain price for it they wont.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #8
Rebel Dragons
Same sort of thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. Sold a guy a male beardie for $325 shipped. 5 days later saw it on various classifieds for $550. Apparently he got the dragon, threw him onto 2 or 3 females and was done with him. Didn't bother me any. But I did find it funny that he eventually sold it to a breeder I am friends with for $200 shipped. He wrote me a couple days ago complaining that I overcharged him!!! I wrote back and said I have no control over your business dealings. You chose to take a loss, has nothing to do with me.

But I sit and wonder. Did he really take a loss?............. I would vernture to say in the long run no. He just may have 3 outstanding clutches in a few months.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryLilDevils
He wrote me a couple days ago complaining that I overcharged him!!!
You overcharged HIM! He has free will doesn't he? If he thought the price was too high, why did he buy the dragon? What an idiot.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
Cat_72
Ok, call me dumb, but how is reselling something at a profit a bad business practice?

You no longer own it, if you thought you could have gotten a better price for it, you should have asked more. If he is able to make a profit, well, how is that harming you?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!