Sand? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Mile_High_Dragons
Sand?

Okay! So, I know I posted on this before but humor me. I have tried pretty much every substrate that you could possibly think of. And I have found something I hate about all of them. Except sand.

However, I have been told by some that it is safe and will not cause impaction. (Big and small breeders)

Others say avoid it completely.

Lets but this "Bigfoot" of Bearded Dragons to rest!

And here...we...GO!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
UwabamiReptiles
I used to use washed play sand for my beardeds when I used to have them a few years ago. I kept and bred them on sand and never had a problem. Now I wouldn't use sand for a young dragon. My rule was once they were around 8 to 10 inches, then I felt safe putting them on sand. Of course some people don't like sand and others do. This is probably another subject that has no right or wrong answer. People can come up with pros and cons for every type of substrate out there, thats just the way it is. Just my two cents.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
GHC Exotics
This is a highly debated subject. Though the easiest way to look at it is this. What works for one person doesnt always work for another. Some people may have perfect results with sand... some people may not. But what works for you wont be known until you test out that theory. I personally have used sand on all of my dragons. and as stated above, I waited for the young ones to reach min. of 8 inches before I put them on it.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
frillielover17
I think the last 2 posters said it perfectly. For younger dragons (under a year for me), absolutely not a good idea to use it but for older dragons I don't see too large of a problem as long as you maintain it properly and observe your dragon so that it may not ingest any of it. I think this is going to be one topic that will never be put to rest. People have different experiences with every substrate. Just make sure you make proper adjustments to the enclosure depending on which substrate you choose.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
rcarichter
Back when I was into dragons, I always used washed play sand. Never a single problem. The beauty of desert animals is that they are they only ones where we can actually come pretty close to their natural substrate. The difference in captivity is that they are made to be close to their own waste. So, go for sand and keep it clean. My opinion.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
pdragon
Impaction is linked to lack of vitamins/calcium in the dragons diet. Babies grow so fast indoors, that they require a lot of added supplementation. If they don't meet these requirements, they will look towards other options, like sand.

Josh

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Kalie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdragon View Post
Impaction is linked to lack of vitamins/calcium in the dragons diet. Babies grow so fast indoors, that they require a lot of added supplementation. If they don't meet these requirements, they will look towards other options, like sand.

Josh
I had asked my vet the question once, as I had heard about the possible impaction problems with sand, and he said this exact thing. Beardies do ingest some sand while they're eating, but it only gets problematic when in search for vitamins and minerals they actively start eating the sand.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
pdragon
When I used to work with outdoor dragons, I would always see adults constantly picking and sampling little things on the ground like small rocks, twigs, seeds, etc. These lizards know what they need to keep themselves balanced.

Josh

Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
pdragon
You have a good vet
Josh

Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Mile_High_Dragons
Wow! Awesome posts everyone! I'm glad that so many people had an opinion about this subject! And I'm excited about the number of responses! You guys are awesome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!