Relocation? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2005, 10:31 PM   #11
chondrogal
Thank you for the feedback and info! I'll continue looking into possible options and will try to come to some sort of compromise. I would most like to believe that these guys find a new burrow and live out a long natural healthy life in native habitat. I know it's not going to happen for all but for the time being it's looking like my best option and I'll hope that at least some of them make it.

I am not opposed to turning over any native venomous to responsible, proper homes and am wondering if there is a good facility that would be able to benefit from their misfortune to be living in the urban sprawl while providing them good care also.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #12
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakegetters
Please note that what is on my page is suggested policy for the volunteers who were working with me to relocate venomous snakes in Florida. I believe they are rational decisions for these circumstances, based on the studies I have read and the field biologists I have had a chance to talk to. I would not want to state that these conditions would be ideal for all snakes everywhere.
Thanks for replying Tanith

I've heard from several other sources regarding high mortality rates in snakes relocated long distances from where they are found. Since Crotalids in particular appear to prefer the same den sites year after year, one could see how this could disrupt their normal brumation cycles, leading to their possible death.

I myself try and release rescued snakes nearby where they are found if possible.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!