Four-Hundred Pound Snake Killed by Owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Boidmom
Four-Hundred Pound Snake Killed by Owner

Four-Hundred Pound Snake Killed by Owner
by Lindsay Patterson

In almost every Topeka neighborhood you will find someone who owns a pet, but that pet is probably not a 400-pound snake.

Authorities received a phone call Thursday from a Topeka man who said he could not find a facility to take his 15-foot Python, and he had taken matters into his own hands.

Residents in the neighborhood say it is terrifying to think a snake that big was so close to their children.

Lt. Randy Listrom with the Topeka Police Department says the man at the residence called and said he had killed his snake before authorities could take it away from him. It had been his pet for more than 25 years.

Authorities pulled a 400-pound python out of the backyard along with another four or five smaller snakes out of the house.

Listrom states it is against city ordinance to have a snake over 8 feet long.

He says they plan to file animal cruelty charges against the man. They say he is now undergoing a mental evaluation. His identity has not been released.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
Wilomn
Hmmmm, the man may well be nuts, but I do not think a 15 foot python could come anywhere near 400 lbs.

Any pics?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
PythonWallace
I think that could be a record python. Call Guinness. The current record for a python in the US is a 403 lb Burm in Illinois that is over 27' long.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
handsomeRob
so the guy does in his own mind what he thought was right and now hes being charged? makes no sense. this is what happens when zoos, shelters, and other facilities refuse to take anything except the occasional furry thing.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
kmurphy
Quote:
so the guy does in his own mind what he thought was right and now hes being charged? makes no sense. this is what happens when zoos, shelters, and other facilities refuse to take anything except the occasional furry thing.
Can't really agree with this sentiment. I believe if you killed your dog or cat you would be charged also. He could have found someone to take the animal. A 400 pound burm would have some takers for sure. Not that I believe it was actually that heavy. IMO opinion this guys a double idiot. First for killing the snake then for calling the police and telling them about it.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Wilomn
Triple idiot, he should obviously never have had it to begin with.

Too bad hindsight is solo in it's ability to see the future.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
tildenalso
i can not believe he killed a snake that he had for that many years... and what was he feeding it?? i bet he was a regular at the SPCA

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!