Bizarre Assassin Spiders Discovered in Madagascar - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Bizarre Assassin Spiders Discovered in Madagascar

Ok, not a herp, btu I thought these things were neat.

-------------------------------------------------------

March 8, 2006—With its fearsome appearance, poisonous bite, and deadly hunting skill, this newly discovered creature lives up to its name: assassin spider.

Researchers working in Madagascar recently discovered this and eight other species of assassin spiders—a family of arachnids that feast on other eight-leggers—during a four-year survey of the island nation's forests.

Assassin spiders have been known to live in Australia and South Africa. But the new find, made by biologists from the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, nearly doubles the number of known species.

What's more, the scientists say these newfound spiders are exquisitely evolved—if grotesque-looking—killers.

The spiders stab their prey with their giant jaws, which are barbed at the ends with venomous fangs. To be able to lift their outsized jaws, the assassins evolved elongated necks, giving the spiders a unique ability to strike from a distance.

But arachnophobes can relax: Assassin spiders are a mere eighth of an inch (two millimeters) long and are harmless to humans.

Link to story

Old 03-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
reptilebreeder
I read an article in the newspaper about them, then I "googled" and that's one of the photos that popped up. That is IMO one of the most alien, freaky looking things on this, or maybe any planet.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
Yeah, a spider with a neck, who would imagine.
What amazes me is at 1/8" that it was even discovered to begin with, let alone the eight other species that were also found. That's a tiny critter to find in the leaf litter.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
coyote
Bizarre, but fascinating!
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
shrap
Wow, that is unreal looking. Thanks again, Clay.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Junkyard
Woah!! I am going to have some weird dreams tonight.

In another story about these spiders, the scientists caught over one million bugs in those four years. I am curious as to what kind of camera they used to capture such a great picture of a creature that small. I wonder how many spiders these asassins kill each year, it is amazing how nature keeps it's population in check.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Rattlesnake
They are certainly one of the most bizarre, neat looking spiders I have ever seen. And I have been interested in spiders for years. Every time a new species is discovered, be it spider, reptile or amphibian, it does my heart good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!