New Tortoise Enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
mateomasfeo
New Tortoise Enclosure

A while back I asked for some advice on a enclosure for my tortoise Lucy. Finally got it all set up!

Check out Lucy’s mansion. It is damn near a biosphere!

The enclosure is 6’ x 3’ x 2’, and made of black PVC, made by Animal Plastics. It has holes cut in the top for 2 UVB lamp fixtures, which supply Lucy with the critical UVB she needs for proper health and shell growth. There are two 18” fluorescent fixtures in the cage roof that supply plant spectrum light for the greenery. All the lights are worked by timer at about 14 hours of sunshine a day.

One-half of the floor of the enclosure has a heating coil built in, the half where her hiding box and log are, to provide a toasty place for Lucy to burrow into the cedar and crash.

Since Lucy is native to the tropics, optimal temperature is about 90 degrees with humidity around 80%. The enclosure features a built in misting system which mists water into the cage to add humidity and to water the grass that grows in the cage. About a liter a day in this enclosure keeps the humidity perfect, and the grass green.

I have had this setup for a couple of months now, and it appears her waste products are used by the plant life. She eats the grass. The grass eats the waste. No smell after two months! I plan to add a potato plant in the corner as she likes to eat those too.

She was in small aquarium before this, and she was lethargic and shy. Since putting her in her new house she has become very active and friendly.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
mateomasfeo
Woops!

Thanks MONKEYWRENCH for recommending the Animal Plastics enclosure! I put the sod in like we talked about and it works great!

Got yours yet?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
barbie69
WOW!! That is an awesome set up!! Do you mind if I ask how much approximatley did it all cost? I am looking to update my tortoise table and yours looks amazing! I absolutely love the idea of the waste being used by the greenery...too cool!!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Walk of Life
Jim,
Congratulations on a beautiful setup.
Just curious, how old is Lucy and what is her primary diet?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
monkeywrench133
WOW!!!! That is impressive!! Very Nice setup!

I'm really glad that it's working out so well for you! You did an incredible job setting it up!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
barbie69
Nevermind on the cost, I just checked the cage alone and I will have to wait 'til after graduation for a sweet enclosure like that. Great job, it looks really comfy!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
mateomasfeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie69
WOW!! That is an awesome set up!! Do you mind if I ask how much approximatley did it all cost? I am looking to update my tortoise table and yours looks amazing! I absolutely love the idea of the waste being used by the greenery...too cool!!
Thanks for the kind comments!

BARBIE:

It was about $1000 as pictured. The enclosure from Animal Plastics was the main expense, followed by the mister. Everything else is common stuff I already had.

WALK OF LIFE:

Lucy is four years old.

Her diet is heavy on cherry tomatoes, zuchinni, squash, grass, and Mazuri Tortoise food. She gets just a touch each week of grub worms and banana peel. I supplement with Calcium and D3.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
deborahbroadus
Just an FYI: If you still have potatoes in there..or a potato plant..did you know that the leaves are toxic to many tortoises? as are tomatoes (leaves and plants).

The toxic plant list that in The Tortoise and Turtle Feeding Manual by A.C. Highfield has a list of toxic foods.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
baybay
Quick question

HI i am new here and i am looking to redo my tortoise table. could you please tell me what attachments you got from animal plastics like(belly heat,which fixtures ect.) how do you keep your cage warm at night without any lights?
Thanks?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
deborahbroadus
I don't want to embarrass you...but Lucy seems to have begun pyramiding. This means that her shell is not growing smoothly but in "bumps." This is not normal but many people do not know this. It could be a trick of the light, but I wanted to draw your attention to her shell.

The pyramiding is caused when the tortoise is unable to absorb calcium efficiently because of a lack of UVB or too much protein in the diet (trying to keep this simple). May I ask what kind of lights you have at the top? Is there any belly heat?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!