Ok...I know this is entirely off-topic....but I have to do it!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
StinaUIUC
Ok...I know this is entirely off-topic....but I have to do it!!!!!

My mother is the strangest person...lol She freaked out before I came home from school because I had been planning on bringing home an older kitten that I'd found...who I found out actually had a home. Mom literally yelled at me that I was not to bring another animal into her house...lol So then yesterday of course...she was at the grocery store and pet store basically next door was having an adoption event thing and had a bunch of kittens there...needless to say...my mom is extremely weak...LOL She decided she knew I was going to get a cat anyway, so she might as well pick it out and get it now so she can play with it while it's small...lol Anyway, he's a little grey kitten supposedly 11 weeks old...but he seems really small for that age...and he definitely not entirely healthy...he isn't sneezing or anything, but has really loose stool and discharge from his eyes. He also has a very potbelly, so he probably has worms (which may be causing the loose stool). So now I have to keep him away from our family cat until we can get him a clean bill of health...it doesn't help that we're going away next week either...lol Anyway, I am very excited!! and he is SUPER cute!!! As far as a name...I'm considering Guinness (dog's name is Foster......lol). If anyone has any other name ideas let me hear them! (nothing common like Smoky or smt) Here's a pic!

Oh...and to be at least a LITTLE on topic.......I just hope he won't try to climb on gecko or cricket cages or anything like that...I'm predicting a major trouble maker...lol

Old 06-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
thegeckobarn_DW
Just wondering, why did she take him in if he's so sick?

Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Xelda
Very cute! I love gray cats. For some reason, he kind of reminds me of Robert Smith from The Cure. Must be something about the eyes and the hair.

Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
StinaUIUC
Olivia...LOL...
Dusty...he's not really sick...he just has some eye discharge and loose stool...the loose stool could very well just be because of diet change and stress. The rescue had just found him basically 2 days ago...so they never even got a chance to take him to the vet. He's normal behaviorally, the only thing that really concerns me is the eye discharge...but I doubt its anything serious, and he most likely has worms...but that's easy to take care of. He doesn't seem to have a URI...no sneezing or nasal discharge or anything...unless he sticks his nose too far into his water dish...then he sneezes...lol The only thing that I'm really worried about is felv/fiv, but that's fairly rare...so it's not a huge concern. I just have to keep him from having contact with the family cat until we can make sure he's ok. He'll be going to the vet this week. It actually turns out he's going with us on vacation...so that'll definitely make it easier to keep him from gypsy if there happens to be anything we need to treat...seeing as how we'll be about 5 hours away...lol

Old 06-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #5
Lucille
Unfortunately it may also be distemper.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
StinaUIUC
He doesn't have the right symptoms for that...also, I don't know if you know this, but a more proper name is feline panleukopenia...the term feline distemper arose because of similarities to canine distemper...while it is an entirely different disease. It's actually closely related to parvo

Old 06-21-2004, 01:00 AM   #7
riverjop
hmmmmmm....he reminds me of Einstein, but beer? hmmmm your probably to young to remember Billy as in "Billy Beer" (Billy Carter)

Oh well Im drinking a Pacifica, but that won't work!

Old 06-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
RedQuake
Congrats on your new kitten. My parents are the same as yours. Now i did bring home the two kittens we have now but my parents have gone out and bought me a hedgehog and they helped me find a breeder from which i bought my dog. My dad is also a sucker for cute animals. At first he was like OMG a kitten but then he fell in love and suggested we get her brother. The brother got adopted before we could get him but then Misty became available and i brought her home. She's a holy terror i tell ya, the one that always gets away and into trouble. She also has NO problems with putting the dogs in their place. Last night she pounced on the old one while he was sleeping on the couch and then she was off running only to come back and do it again. My dad thinks she's going to be the trouble maker while Sasha is the sweety.

We have known that we have a bunny around, think it lives under our deck. Last night dad saw a baby one and was like we should catch it. I just shook my head LOL.

My girls go back to the vet this Friday for their 2nd set of shots but its going to be difficult for me. I just got a temp overnight job while our overnite staff is on leave so i'll get home at 8am then have to stay up and take the cats in at 11:30.

I know the pic isn't full size but from what i can see my two kittens who are both just over the 10 week point look larger. You said vacation.........i so wish i could take one. We used to pack up the animals and take them where ever we went (at that time 1 dog, 1cat and 2 hamsters) Now though i couldn't do the same thing with a dog, 2 cats and 20 geckos LOL.

Red

Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
StinaUIUC
Red...Yeah...he's really small...but behaviorally wise he seems to be somewhere near there....he is at least 7 weeks...but I don't know. I'm sure he's had bad nutrition, so he could just be somewhat stunted. We usually don't take our pets on vacation...though occasionally we've brought the dog...but now there are 2 dogs, 2 cats and 5 geckos...lol The kitten is an exception in getting to go on vacation now...hehe That's funny that your dad wants to catch the baby bunny...lol As far as the vet visit, we're taking him today at 12:30...he's actually sitting on my lap right now half asleep...lol He's such a sweety...what's really great is that he'll get all wound up, but then he'll calm down if you want him to! lol...very unusual for a kitten...

Overton...LOL...actually everyone seems to have shot down Guinness...I like it...but oh well. Now I'm considering using a danish word (I'm going to Denmark next month)...perhaps Skifer (slate), Liden Bid (little bit), Munter (playful), Yndig (sweet, cute, adorable, delightful, etc), Flink (clever), Snu (clever), Elske (love), Elsker (lover), or Fiks (cute). Any opinions anyone?...

Old 06-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
diablohogs
okay im convinced... we need a OFF TOPIC sub forum OR people just need to stop posting about kittens and dogs in the leopard gecko forum.

isnt there a cat forum on faunaclassifieds?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!