Finally! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Leighanne
Finally!

This was a real close one to. The Leo's and my Ratties have a 3:00 appointment with the Vet tommorrow. So far I just got three poohs tonite for their fecal. One of the MBD babies, emaciated boy (which is looking bunches better ), and fiesty girls. The one that at least WAS having diarrhea. How do you have diarrhea one minute and then it goes away? I hope to get one from no toes boy and I'll be happy. No toes was the one with the really rank poohs and one of our favorites! He is very calm with humans and has that smiley face. Gex doesn't have a smiley face, he has a grumpy Dragon face.

My Rat friend Nicole can't take me tommorrow though, she is having problems with her brakes AGAIN and couldn't borrow her Mom's car as planned. On one night notice my neighbor is taking me. It seems every time I make an appointment something happens like my animals are jinxed or some crap. I was going to take Jake when I first got him and that appointment fell through and I can never hold on to the money. Some stupid bill always comes up and bites me in my bum.

I got a coupon for something about animal Insurance today though and thought I might try and call the number or talk to the Vet about something like that possibly. The coupon says only $6.99 a month for a Dog, well why not Reptiles. I also FINALLY got the Income tax so they don't have to hold my check.

Everythings starting to finally look better because its really been sucking. BOTH Jeff and I have been sick. I don't know what he had but I had Bronchitis and it got worse and I spent to much money at the stupid foreign Doctor's I couldn't even understand. I can barely breath and both animal care takers being sick just SUCKS! All that dock in my hours to.

The Vet said that crypto is contagious to humans. I can mix all the poohs together or what not and he said in this case scenario we will just treat everybody which is now seven Leos I'm down to. I have my old Biology Teacher intrested in one. Jeff's very good friend took the healthiest one and we told him what to watch for. Hes been calling with updates every three days. I also have to take at least one Leo in request of the Vet and I chose emaciated adult boy because 1 he is or was the only emaciated one and two theres something going on with his hempimenes that doesn't look normal but I can't quit tell what it is because I've never dealt with wee wee problems before, never saw them. Gex's just finally came in about a month ago.

Cat I was wrong, that one MBD girl is bending her leg again. I must be tired man. I still had another one I wanted seen though. Fiesty girl number two. Shes on the skinny side and thats because she cannot see very well. She can see far away, she spotted my Ratties on the bed and went into Leo Warrior pose. Its SO cute to! I don't know?

They were all bad hunters when they first arrived like they hadn't seen Crickets in a long time and everybody except for her have become pretty good hunters. She just cannot for the life of her catch Crickets. She ALWAYS aims to short and misses. Its a good thing I'll have 1,000 Meal Worms and 50 Wax Worms is what I ordered from Top Hat Crickets and that should be here tommorrow or Wednesday. I'm guessing she'll have to gain weight by Worms especially for awhile. I've also stopped the syringe feeding of the calcium for the MBD babies and their looking good. I've still been giving emaciated boy baths every once in awhile but other then that we've been at a stand still waiting for the Vet appointment. I have a half an hour heat pack I'm taking with me to the Vet to so emaciated boy doesn't get to cold on the way back. Well, I don't think i have any more to say and sorry if my post is a big ol jumble. I have to much of a headache right now from all the dry coughing to use my brain a lot, that and its 4:00 in the morning. Thanks for reading guys.

Well, I've been and still am pretty nervous. Wish me luck guys and I'll post here tommorrow when I come back.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Leighanne
Were back!

Well my Ratties were A Ok perfectly healthy! Their cage isn't to small either. Ok, enough about them though. I just wanted to share in my excitement about my healthy Daughters.

I took the emaciated boy as the one to be seen. I took him because hes my skinniest and because I wasn't sure if his hempimenes were ok. Gexies, my first Leo, his hempimenes just came in about a month ago. There were these two weird little holes on his "balls." Excuse my terms. I had also found some light red skin coming out around the side of his opening. I took a moist q tip that night and wiped around the area. Tah Dah! It wasn't there today except for those holes, they were. She said he looked fine and his wee wee was fine. The female Vet said his one "ball" was a little swollen but nothing to be concerned about at this moment.She told me to monitor him and my Ratties. Figures, for those of us who don't know half the battle in a long healthy life is observation, observation, observation. Emaciated boy which I "diagnosed" that way going off of charts found here. Bones protruding, no visible fat, head bigger then body, so on and so forth. Well he weighed in at 45 grams after a month of being with me. She said that means hes barely skinny any more. HURRAY!!!

I got three out of 7 poohs last night and stuck them in the fridge and brought them in. She did the basic fecal right there and they have Pin Worms. Dr. said it was the most common of Worms and easiest to treat. She gave me Pancura for them. She said .02 cc's for NOT emaciated boy. .01 for the Juvies and .03 for any Adult bigger then him. I am to syringe feed this to everybody once a week for 4 weeks. The Vet said the Pin Worms COULD reoccur but probably not. I just ordered 1,000 Crickets, 1,000 Meal Worms and 50 Wax Worms for everybody and thats showing up tommorrow, so with treatment and bunches of food within the next month they should be chunky.

Lets see the Vet also said that the diarrhea and the rank poops which they had the first two weeks and then it went away, she said that was good and went away on its its own due to Environmental and Dietary changes. A++ then! I also told her of the symptoms of the baby that died because her case scared me the most and with them all being mixed up. Lethargic, Emaciated, Disorientation, Tremors and possible death by Seizure because she was flipped on her back when found. The Vet Lady said that it could be a few things but her best educated guess would be Death from lack of Vitamins and Calcium since birth. The baby was young and they were greatly deprived.

They are testing for Crypto but I won't see the results for that test for a few days because they had to send it out of the office. If its negative then I guess she could be right about how the baby died. Makes sense to me?

I also asked the Vet about how I should be feeding them? I said I read babies every day and adults every other day but because they were skinny I was feeding them every night. I think I agree. If they run into a shormgusborg of Crickets in Nature they eat what they want? Right? Thats actually what Jeff did for the first three months of us having our personal tow Leos Gex and Squee. Without Scales yet I don't know the accurate weights but visibly both Gex and Squee are plump, not obese but plump like the Geckos on HISS.com lol Nice Leos Kellih! I got that right, right? Sorry if I didn't. I figure after they get plumped up then we will cut back. Gex never ate more then 7 Crickets in one night, no Leo I have ever has. What do you guys think?

Only ONE thing was off today. She NEVER asked once what their temps were kept at. Maybe I impressed her and she figured I was doing good? Maybe not. She said she wasn't the head Reptile Vet. The young guy that saw Lickity was but he was in the building. She actually had him identify those really weird Worms for me. They are Super Worms.

They seem to be pretty decent Vets. I have educated myself as much as possible because this is my Passion, to have my babies lead better lives and to be able to understand what the Vets talk about and at least TRY and make sure I get a decent Vet. Her name was Dana Cook I believe. I was able to keep up with everything she said and everything she suggested I was already doing. So? Tell me what you guys think? Thanks for reading, Thanks for the support and the Good Luck and Good Wishes. your positive energy around this situation is MUCH appreciated. Now lets hope for the best with the Crypto Test. Fingers crossed for them, my other babies and us!

Crypto is contagious to humans!!

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
1Bob
Glad to hear you babes are getting some good care. Crypto is rare but very nasty. Bleach won't touch it. If it's Crypto and I sure pray it isn't, pretty much the only way to deal with it is to put down all the animals and burn the equipment. At least that's what I've read.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Leighanne
GREAT!

I just got all this good news from the Vet yesterday and have a new problem today. No toes was about to shed before I left for work and I checked him when I got back and looked at his hempimenes and one of them is slightly prolapsed. Just one, and I caught it within 24 hours. I did a search on here and found great Threads and advice. Advice and experience from people like Dan Lubinsky, Ballonzforu, Golden Gates (Marcia, and Mike Great House. I am going to clean his whole tub out and offer a humid hide and spray his lid. That will help with the moisture, while I'm doing this a warm bath is in order and then I will top his night off with some Honey.

Tommorrow I am going to call the Vet and a few other people. Just great because I'm out of money. I hate being a typical minimum wager! I have worked SO hard and will not, CANNOT have stupid things on my conscious and all because of stupid money. UGH! I hope it goes away for his sack and then I guess I won't keep him after all. If you cannot afford the Vet its better for your conscious to not have the Pet. I just hope we can make it through this time? I read estimates from peoples experiences ranging from $600.00 the highest and $35.00 the lowest. We will see tommorrow. I have to go now, I just got done with the Research and will be up until 5 in the morning. "Everything sucks and I can prove it!" -Slipknot-

Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
geckogrl6
Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing amazingly well with the burden you have to bear. Kudos to you for doing your research. There are millions of people on here with access to the same info as you, and just don't bother to check. I keep coming here because of the wealth of experience from those you listed and others. Keep your head up! Panacur is good stuff, and I think it's safe to say, except maybe for a prolapse, everyone in your care is bouncing back super well. Take care of yourself too, and it will be all right in the end.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Leighanne
Good news, bad news?

Heres no toes update. I got payed today which is every week as a minimum wager though and we were sick and docked two weeks worth of pay a little. All my bills are covered though, those come first. I have been running around all day today. No toes has had two applications of honey with the past 24 hours and after a couple posts here I am going to go treat him some more. If I stay on top of it hopefully it won't get worse.

I did the Research and read about the Honey, sugar water paste, Neosporin (without pain reliever of course) Vitamin E oil, and Karo Syrup, and Preparation H and KY Jelly and then theres A&D ointment to. Just the original stuff without any extra special ingredients. I didn't read about the A&D on here but went to Rite Aid today and bought $21.00 worth of stuff to try. The VERY nice Pharmacist that totally helped me out with my own prescriptions being sick went around the whole store with me for at least a half an hour answering questions!

The Pharmacist opened up all kinds of packages for me and answered SO many questions. I told him I knew hes not a Vet and I pretty much know what to do for this and that I just needed him to answer questions on the products and he was happy to help. SO! I came home with KY Jelly (LOL, municipal purposes!) a water soluble with Vitamin E and Aloe Vera in it. Vitamin E skin oil, a bit thicker and A&D. The two main ingredients for A&D are Lanolin 15.5% and Petrolatum 53.4% both are skin protectants. He said little babies can rub down there and lick there hands or whatnot and its not poisonous. We wear chap stick and lip gloss and you end up swallowing a little of some stuff but we use Neosporin. The A&D is grease based he said. So I opted for these three things and will try them.

Theres NO bleeding and the whole ball isn't coming out. Just one ball and just a little piece, he will have an easier time pulling it back in or just the ball going back in if I can keep it saturated. That is my educated Researched opinion. The little part sticking out is dry so it kind of looks like a scab. I do believe I'm on the right track. That and I'm the kind of person that doesn't sit on a problem. I have to try something and anything until the problems fixed. I'm not just going to leave it alone that could end up worse especially since I have to wait at least two to three weeks to possibly get back to the Vet.

I called around today and its $55.00 for a physical and then God knows how much from there? Since its not that bad maybe they could put it back in? I just hope it doesn't get worse before I can get there.

We can't borrow money from Jeff's family and only one person on my side might be able to help. Hum. I have $100.00 right now but it has to be for the greater good! Andy (previous owner of the Rescues) has his Flexwatt and stuff hooked up all Ghetto and I have updates and equipment thats needed. I called the Vet today, ReptileBasics. Remember when I was doing Thermostat research for Lickity and was warned about Hardware store lamp dimmers and things like that? Thats what his stuff is hooked up to and its fluxing and I am SO replacing that. I have to. I need the Flexwatt, two Thermostats, a digital scale and a Temp gun. I'm running through my priorities here.

My most awesome and favorite GrandMother got me two bonds when I was born which was at least 20 years since I'm almost 22. I did some research on bonds and its borrowed money that matures and once its mature thats it right? Nothing else to do with it. My Grandfather has them now and is in Florida and won't be back until after the first. I told my Dad to grab these for me as soon as he gets home and if these can't cover it then he will let me borrow some money if he has it. Its weird. My Dads a truck driver and was unemployed for a year and its weird now. Something about he used to get paid by mileage and now gets paid by loading percentages? Its new to him so I don't know. I'm trying though and I will be Doctoring No toes until Grandpa gets home.

Geckogrl...Thank You SO much. Hugs over the puter. Its really nice and mentally helpful to hear such kind words. I really appreciate it! Thanks for reading guys and hopefully Marcia or somebody stops by this post and you can tell me what you think. You guys are my "Resources", when we all pull together animals can get "saved." Token care of, you know what I mean. lol

Now I'm off to make a post in the GB Forum about Exotic Insurance, care to follow me there?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Leighanne
Update on No toes cutie.

Well, as of yesterday morning it was almost all the way back in. I was very happy to see that. I thought MAYBE because I caught within 24 hours I had a chance? I came home from work and checked on him and he had poohed so it came out a little bit more. It doesn't look any worse then before, hes just at a stand still right now I guess. I am keeping Vitamin E oil on it at least twice a day. Baths also. Here and there where I can, yesterday he had two baths, and tommorrows my day off so he will have even more baths. I think by Tuesday I want to talk to the Vet and see if I can't get it back in by myself. In a very careful, gentle manner of course. I mean theres not much pooping out. This kind of sucks because when I took emaciated boy in his right hempimene was kind of swollen, the Vet said don't worry about it. His hempimene is still swollen and so is No toes. I most certainly would have a hard time paying for two. Oh well, heres hoping for the best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!