Excited and Nervous~ Mostly Excited - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
MrsWTownsend
Red face Excited and Nervous~ Mostly Excited

Hello. I am pretty new to the Fauna Classified, spend most of my time here lurking and reading other peoples posts but today I have something to share which you all may appreciate.

Today, from the first clutch my Tricolors have ever produced, came my first ever hatchling. I have never really been into breeding my reptiles really, but after seeing Jenea Woods collection (Guardian Reptiles) and falling in love with the species I was able to purchase an unrelated pair from her with the though of possibly breeding at some point in the future. I have had them (Ophelia and Hamlet) since they were not much bigger than an earthworm. Last year Hamlet went off feed for a ridiculously long amount of time and after trying every trick under the sun to get him to eat for me, I finally decided that maybe he was smelling Ophelia and that was affecting his appetite so I paired them.

Hamlet ate within a few days of pairing them. (Huge sigh of relief~ it had been a very long time.) I am very excited about the whole project but very nervous about it too; I spend a lot of time worrying about the eggs and how they'll feed once they have hatched. I have a book about Hognose care on CD that I bought to give away with the babies as I sell them so I can feel better about how they will be cared for when sending them to new homes... I worry about that too. lol

Anyway here he is in all of his stripy little glory.

Lystrophis Pulcher is a species which I truly and absolutely adore in every way.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
bkelley02
That's awesome!! Congratulations. Beautiful snakes, all of them!!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
tress29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWTownsend View Post
Anyway here he is in all of his stripy little glory.
So cute! Is this the first of many? Were there more eggs in the clutch?

Theresa in Indy

Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
ozz465
Very nice hatch ling u got there , congrats.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
MrsWTownsend
Thanks guys and gals.

Yes Theresa, there are 7 more eggs in his clutch and thus far, a second clutch of 5, though one of the eggs looks to be turning bad and will probably die. I candled it and there is a faint vein but one end of the egg is changing color (and not a good color :P). She is due to lay another clutch around the end of October if she continues to lay.

I have read that females can lay as many as 10 clutches from one copulation! Next year if Hamlet decides he doesn't want to eat I think I may just put him in a different room for a while... lol

At least with my Leachies, when I decide to pair them, the quantity of offspring will be limited. Everything has to be perfect before I put them together though; I'm not in a big rush and since they can not be separated once they are introduced to each other, that will definitely be a long term project (and also way more scary than this one).

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
tress29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWTownsend View Post
Yes Theresa, there are 7 more eggs in his clutch
But no more pictures?! Please share your babies with us!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!