The Superworm Farm delivers dead crickets and superworms... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
Jim O
The Superworm Farm delivers dead crickets and superworms...

Last week I purchased 3000 crickets and 1000 superworms from The Superworm Farm. I had them shipped overnight and they arrived while I was on the phone with one of "Fauna's Finest". He can perhaps confirm that I mentioned their arrival while my dogs were barking like crazy at the FedEx truck. The delivery person literally handed the boxes to me though she never asked for a signature. She noted that the package was left at the front door though in fact that is not what happened. I am guessing that since she didn't bother to ask for a signature that is standard. Since I was on the phone and distracted it never occurred to me at the time to actually insist that I sign. My mistake.

Sadly, there were many hundreds of dead and dying crickets and many hundreds of dead superworms along with the live ones. I should mention that while the address is in Pennsylvania, the shipment came from Louisiana leading me to speculate as to the conditions in the facility in the period leading up to last week after the recent disaster there.

I tried calling the seller all day Thursday to report this but they were not answering their phone. They were closed Friday. I e-mailed them on Thursday and this was the exchange -- read from the bottom up.

Quote:
I understand your position. Be assured however that I will not be buying from you in the future, EVER, and that I will see to it that as many people as possible see the photos that I sent you. I was not looking for a free replacement. In fact, I would have been delighted if you had offered me 20% off of a subsequent order. Those black superworms were dead for a great deal longer than a few hours. You know that. Anyone who has handled superworms knows that. Similarly, there is no way that amount of crickets died even if left outside for an hour or two (which they were not) in the conditions that day. Your position is penny wise and pound foolish as you have lost a potentially good and repeat customer.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 3:47 PM
To: Jim Ohlstein, Superior Ectotherms
Subject: RE: Superworm Farm E-Mail Confirmation for Order #: SW56248

Jim:

I can appreciate your position. I would be upset as well. We go to great lengths to prompt our customers as to the requirements of the live delivery guarantee. Discussions appear in our Policies, in the Shipping Advisory Section and on every web invoice.

In the perishable goods business it's absolutely necessary that we have documentation, not just representations, that packages were physically accepted. I am certain your situation is not one of the ones we are safeguarding ourselves from by having such strict requirements. Unfortunately, there are so many opportunists buying our products that the signature requirements have been instituted for all deliveries. We even use an example in the Shipping Advisory section similar to yours where the package is physically accepted but the customer was remiss in giving the signature. It happens. We know. That's why we used it as an example.

We do appreciate your business and hope you will return to us in the future.

Sincerely,

The Superworm Farm, Inc.
PO Box 25
Kempton, PA 19529
Phone: 866-680-2030
Fax: 610-871-0051
Web Site: www.superwormfarm.com
E-Mail: info@superwormfarm.com

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
From: "Jim Ohlstein, Superior Ectotherms" <jim@superiorectotherms.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:19:06 -0400

>Hello,
>
>A signature was not requested. I received the package directly IN MY
>HAND from the FedEx delivery woman. I was on the phone at the time (I
>can produce the name and phone number of the person with whom I was
>speaking who may even remember that I mentioned that my dogs were
>barking because FedEx was there with my cricket order). Perhaps that
>was why a signature was not requested. If you are going to be so petty
>about it that's fine. I buy 2000-3000 crickets per week plus superworms
>and mealworms. I ordered from you at someone's recommendation and will
>certainly return to my previous vendor. I do intend to post these
>e-mails and the details of this transaction on the BOI at
>faunaclassifieds.com. I understand that you have "terms of service" but
>I received DOA crickets and superworms in 80'ish degree temps and your
>standing on them is foolish in the long term as you have most certainly
>lost a potential regular customer.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Jim
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: thesuperwormfarm [ <mailto:info@superwormfarm.com>
>mailto:info@superwormfarm.com]
>Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:31 AM
>To: Jim Ohlstein, Superior Ectotherms
>Subject: RE: Superworm Farm E-Mail Confirmation for Order #: SW56248
>
>
>Jim:
>
>Sorry you couldn't get through on Thursday. Our internet based
>telephone system was inoperable due to a lightning strike Wednesday
>evening that destroyed our high-speed cable modem. Service was
>restored finally around 5:00 p.m. Thursday, but of course that didn't
>help us much. Oh the price of technology.
>
>The FedEx tracking document for your package (655379047584)indicates
>that it was not signed for upon delivery. Unfortunately this means
>that the live delivery guarantee was voided. In the future, consider
>having packages delivered to a business address, or even to another
>family member or friend, who will be present and willing to accept a live delivery package.
>
>
>
>
>
>The Superworm Farm, Inc.
>PO Box 25
>Kempton, PA 19529
>Phone: 866-680-2030
>Fax: 610-871-0051
>Web Site: www.superwormfarm.com
>E-Mail: info@superwormfarm.com
>
>---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
>From: "Jim Ohlstein, Superior Ectotherms" <jim@superiorectotherms.com>
>Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:19:55 -0400
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have been trying to call for the last several hours.
>>
>>I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with my order that arrived this morning.
>>There were several hundred dead superworms and hundreds of dead
>>crickets
>>
>>I cannot imagine buying from you people again.
>>
>>
>>Jim Ohlstein
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: The Superworm Farm, Inc. [ <mailtorders@superwormfarm.com>
>mailtorders@superwormfarm.com]
>>Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:31 PM
>>To: jim@superiorectotherms.com
>>Subject: Superworm Farm E-Mail Confirmation for Order #: SW56248
>>
>>
>>The Superworm Farm
>>601 Mountain Rd.
>>Kempton, PA 19529
>>Phone Number:1-866-680-2030
>>___________________________
>>
>>ORDER CONFIRMATION
>>
>>Invoice Number: SW56248
>>P/O Number : N/A
>>Date: 9/14/2005
>>Customer Number: 195005
>> ___________________________
>>
>>Ship To: JAMES OHLSTEIN
>>Contact: *
>>1849 EDEN WAY
>>*
>>VIRGINIA BEACH VA, 23454
>>___________________________
>>
>>
>>Your order SW56248 was shipped on 09/14/2005 via Fed Ex with the
>>following tracking information and items:
>>
>>655379047584
>>
>> <http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend...pe=dotcom&cntr
>> y_c>
>http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend...dotcom&cntry_c
>>ode=u
>>s&language=english&tracknumbers=%0D%0A6553790475 84
>>
>>Item # Description QTY Price
>>Ext. Price
>>________________________________________________ ______________________
>>_
>>_____
>>_________
>>C4 4 Week Crickets 1000 0
>>0
>>________________________________________________ ___________________________
>_
>>________
>>C4 4 Week Crickets 1000 0
>>0
>>_____
>_
>>________
>>C6 6 Week Crickets 1000 0
>>0
>>_____
>_
>>________
>>S Super Meal Worms, Large 1000 0
>>0
>>_____
>_
>>________
>> 0 0 0
>>_____

While their terms do include that I was required to sign and they have no obligation, that does not change the fact that I received a shipment of dead and dying insects (many more crickets have died since this shipment arrived than is customary for me). I certainly would recommend against anyone doing business with them. Despite their polite replies, they did deliver (and most likely shipped) dead insects.

Here are the photos that I took on Thursday afternoon, which I sent to them.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Junkyard
That is a lot of dead bugs. Have you checked with FedEx that the shipment was to be signed for? If Super Worm Farm did not check that little box when they shipped, than you should be compensated.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Those black superworms were dead for a great deal longer than a few hours. You know that. Anyone who has handled superworms knows that.
That's exactly what I was going to point out after seeing the picture.

Jim,

I'm sorry it had to happen to you. But regrettably these days we have to abide by TOS whereas years ago a person's word was probably enough. A witness on the phone will do no good either. In this case I guess you will have to forget about it, and cross them off your suppliers list.

Regards.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Jim that sucks! Sorry you had a problem with them, Ive never tried them and now Ill be sure not to!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
drizzt_19
Jim,

Sorry to hear about the shipping mishap...I was looking at the tracking page for that package and noticed that you had a signature release on file...That allows Fed-ex to drop of packages with out a signature even when it is required...Some of the drivers just won't take the extra few minutes to get a signature and enter it in the computer...Even when you take it from them personally...

You need to contact Fed-Ex and have that release removed...Some sites have a "Signature Release" clause in their T.O.S. that voids live arrival if something should happen...Here is a thread that covers it more in depth then I can...

On the other hand if the Company is based in Pa, I would seriously like to know how the package was shipped from La...
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt_19

On the other hand if the Company is based in Pa, I would seriously like to know how the package was shipped from La...
Often a company will have its headquarters and incorporated address in one state, and its center of business in another.

Jim, I am sorry that happened to you. May I recommend BugCo; I needed a shipment replaced one time and it was done, no questions. They have custom contracts and terrific customer service, and a variety of bugs.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
MANTIS
Sorry to hear that....

Jim,

I have ordered from them a bunch of times in the past. Never superworms, just crickets. I don't remember ever having shipments arrive DOA, but I do remember that the crickets were never too healthy. They always died on me after a few days. I thought I was keeping them incorrectly, but when I tried another supplier, I relized I was wrong and that it was the unhealthy crickets provided by Superworm Farm. Try ReptileFood.com. Their crickets cost the same price and their health is immaculate. Last time I ordered crickets(2000 adults), over a 3 week period only 4 died!!! Time before that I think it was only about 10!!! I strongly recommend that you try their crickets and superworms.

Also, you are 100% correct. For the superworms to tun black like that takes atleast several days, even a few weeks sometimes!!! They certainly screwed you and will probably get to keep the money. But they lost many customers, and many future customers, which would have made the FAR more money than the 50 bucks on your order. Thanks for letting all us know about the situation!!!

Ank-Inc.
Adam.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
Chameleon Company
Jim O.
Thanks for going to the trouble to document all in this thread. Your characterization that they were being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" could not be more appropriate. As pointed out by the experiences of others in this thread, there are many other suppliers out there who treat their customers with far more respect. I have always had good experiences with Armstrongs and Grooms ... ie, they fix their mistakes, which are few, promptly and courteously. I think that a more proper tack for Superwormfarm to take would have been to point out their policy, and then just say "we believe you" and fix it. While the "pound-foolish" aspect of their actions may have cost them hundreds of dollars, or more, in the coming months, I have to hope that the "penny-wise" $10-20 they saved bought them a nice lunch, or case of beer. Hope it was good!!
Adam, your situation with crickets dying a few days after receipt vs those from a different supplier lasting much longer sounds like an age thing .... the first supplier likely sent you old crickets ... maybe around 50-55 days old (depends on temperature too), while the more long-lived ones were likely younger on delivery. If you only want them as feeders, you can help yourself by always ordering 3/4" crickets instead of full adults. While some suppliers will ship you high-quality young "full-adults", others will ship ones near their normal death.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company

Old 09-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
cyberfrog
This is another case of hiding behind a TOS. the obviously sent poor quality feeders and have found a way to weasel out of it. After reading these recent TOS issue threads, I don't think I will have a TOS other than "Dealt with on a case by case basis." for the simple fact I don't want to set myself or a customer up to take a fall when there could be other circumstances afoot.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Chameleon Company
Had a few more minutes ..

So I wanted to add something. With regard to a point made by Jim O. which Lucille responded to:
Quote:
Often a company will have its headquarters and incorporated address in one state, and its center of business in another.
This is certainly a possibility, but within the cricket business, there is a more likely explanation. Having never dealt with Superwormfarm myself, I can't say that they are actually cricket brokers, but others out there are. In explanation, these are insect companies who may produce some of their own bugs, but often only broker other bugs from other suppliers in order to be more of a "full service" provider. Again, we get into the logistics of larger cricket breeders often over-producing crickets, and ending up with many thousands of crickets that are about to expire from old-age. While not wanting to dump these crickets on their regular large buyers (at $8-10 per 1K), and jeopardize those accounts as no buyer wants adult crickets with 2-3 days of life left in them, they make them available to the "brokers", and in essance drop-ship them. Even if they only charge the broker $5 per 1K, its better than nothing. I will speculate that this is how Superwormfarm gets their crickets, while the zip code of origin for the actual crickets might indicate the true cricket farm.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!