Advice please, Sand Boa stopped eating... :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
sparky_ny
Exclamation Advice please, Sand Boa stopped eating... :(

Hey all... I have gotten my first Rough Scaled Sand Boa from a show in Pa. She is a really amazing little thing, and fell in love with her instantly. Now, the vendors/breeders had wild caught Kenyans, and were not informing the people unless they asked (!) . I found out after I tried to buy one, and asked them why it had a scar on its back ! (was the tamest thing ever though...) They told me she takes a pinkie a week. ON TUESDAY. (!?) I thought, are you serious ?? Well, --->

Anyway. So I get her home, and 2 days later she takes the f/t pinkie, regurgitates it fast like a bullet, out of fear (saw me in the room... oops.. ) but then ate it anyway. Next feeding after 4 days went OK, no problems. [ Now keep in mind how stressed she was during all this: the trip home, then I put her in a tiny container until I could buy her the best possible home, had no "quiet time", etc... but still ate ! ]
Now, finally settled in her glass tank, stress free, she will not eat !! I tried every trick, even braining ! (yuck!)

Someone, please help as I am NOT used to this breed at all !!

---pic eating: last meal !
---2 pics: at home
---on my face, at the show !
Enjoy her pics, and thank you in advance.
Monica.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Randall Turner
Did she ever come around and eat for you? My guess was she didn't feel like taking it, as she has shown to eat fine for you up to this point. Time is the easiest way to get them to come around.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Serenity
Wow! That's a beauty!

I've got a male Kenyan sand boa that rarely eats. We just got home from the vet. Surprisingly he said he wasn't underweight at all. You might want to find a herp vet in your area and see if you can get him wormed. My vet recommended getting some anole droppings and scenting the prey item with them. EWWWWW! I think but I'm desperate enough to try anything to get this guy to eat on a predictable basis! My guy also had some other problems ( probably from taking a walkabout in the house and being found by my cats! ) and he said after the shot of antibiotics he might just turn around.

Good luck with your guy. I know having a finicky eater is tough! Be patient. Being a "domestic" snake is a lot for your guy to get used to.

I'm tempted to get a Saharan but the show I went to only had wild caught ones that were going through a bad shed. I wasn't about to touch them with a 10 ft. pole!

Devon

Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Twizted Paths
They honestly don't need to eat but a few times a year, especially the males. Don't worry if he's not losing weight.

People tend to want to feed their snakes entirely to much. Be glad you have a snake that's smart enough not to gorge itself, it will live longer

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!