Breeding Muller's/Saharan sand boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
Goanna
Breeding Muller's/Saharan sand boa?

I picked up a pair of these early in the summer. I kept them seperate and introuduced them on several occasions. I have been keeping them at around 85ºF during the day, with a nightiime drop.

This is a new species, not many people are working with them. I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with breeding them.

I want to give the female a few weeks with a container of moist sphagnum in case she is gravid, but I never witnessed coplulation, so I am not expecting it.

Does anyone know what I should drop their temps to? Or do I not need to drop them at all? From what I remember, some sand boas do not even need to go into brumation, they can be kept the same year round and still breed.

Anyway, if anyone can answer my questions and/or has any tips on breeding this species, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of my Female Saharan Sand, She just went through a rough shed.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 AM   #2
Goanna
Here is the male. He has great coloration and patten IMO. I love these little guys, they remind me of Mini Kenyans, lol.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Do they have a basking spot, warmer than the 80s?
Also, I know is true with most species, they breed in the rainier seasons, has the humidity been even slightly higher?
Dont drown them, just occasional mistings might spur them into action.
Put them together for a week, seperate for a week, together for a week, seperate for a week and so on. Eventually something is bound to happen.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
Goanna
They are in a rack system that is termostat controlled. It has a strip of 3" flexwatt accross the back of each shelf. I had it set at 85 degrees for most of the summer, now I am starting to drop the temps a bit for the winter. Although, I am not even sure that this species needs to be brumated/hibernated, but it cant hurt I guess.

I will probably just cool them off, and then raise the temps back up in the spring, and at that time give them some light spraying every couple of days. Hopefully, I can get them to breed by doing that.

Thanks for the reply. If anyone else has any tips or advice for me, it would be appreciated!

Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
Sounds like you have everything in order.
Good luck with those guys. They are the egg layers right?

Old 11-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Goanna
Yes, they lay eggs, but they hatch very quickly after being laid, 10-14 days from what I have read.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:05 AM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
I would assume incubation methods would be relatively the same as any other species, no matter the duration.
I have never tried to breed Muellers, or research them for that matter, so I couldnt tell you personally about the incubation duration.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Goanna
Well, I have 3 incubators all ready to go from when I was breeding a wide assortment of animals a few years ago, so thats not a problem. I would probably incubate them around 80ºF and 70-80% humidity. If I see them not doing good at those settings, I can always adjust them or switch them over to another incubator, as I keep them all set a little different.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
Sand&SunReptile
Thats always a smart idea.
Have more than 1 incubator ready, incase of a possible problem.
Sounds like you are weel prepared for this.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Goanna
I just wanted to give this thread an update. Since I posted this, I picked up another female. I had them together most of January. Now, it could just be my imagination, but the new female is looking a little bigger! I am really keeping my fingers crossed here. I have them all seperated now, the suspected female has a tray of damp sphagnum moss in her enclosure now, and she went right in it. I figure if she is gravid, maybe 3-4 more weeks will go by before she drops if it was from breeding with my male in December. Its also possible though that she could have been gravid when I got her, as she was a fresh import, and I beleive their breeding season in the wild was around december/january from what I hear.

Anyway, I will be keeping a constant eye on her now. If anything happens, I will be sure to take some pics and update this page. Anyone else start working with these guys? Anyone get a succssfull mating/egg laying?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!