For my Candoia breeders/keepers... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
HyderHouseHerps
For my Candoia breeders/keepers...

I want to get some outside opinions on this. I have a male Solomon Isle that is almost breeding size. I raised him from a teeny worm.
I also bought a female Candoia, that was sold to me as a Halmahera. I think she's full grown, but I really don't know how old she is.
I normally don't like it when different species are bred together, but seeing as how it's been so hard to fine a true Solomon Isle female, and these 2 are so close (subspecies even), I want opinions on what you think of breeding these 2 together. They have a very similar appearance, size, and pattern. The only difference is the female is very red, and my male is tan. I think the color variation in he offspring would be really cool. I'm just torn about them technically being different species and am finding very little info on the Halmahera species in general.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
stolenheron
Do it. Just make sure you keep paperwork on the babies being hybrids. They are very pretty snakes. if it works lemme know if any babies are for sale!

The only candoia I've ever owned was a WC male candoia aspera

Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Bioteacher
Definitely breed them! Don't worry too much about one being a subspecies. C. p. tasmai is incredibly similar to C. p. paulsoni. Who knows anyways - they may eventually be clumped back together like Brazilian and Peruvian rainbow boas. Besides, the locality info may not be 100% accurate and it's always good to add more cbb stock!

I keep other Candoia species, but here are a few pics showing how C. paulsoni can changes color. I'm surprised you haven't found your male looking like your female and vice-versa.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
stolenheron
^ very pretty boa

Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Bioteacher
Thank you! The two that Cindy has are quite spectacular as well! Candoia are very underappreciated!

Cindy - if you do breed them, I'd definitely be interested in some offspring.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
HyderHouseHerps
Thanks for the input!

Sorry it's been a while; Apparently I forgot to subscribe to my own thread! So just an update, Jay sold me some paulsoni females recently that will be ready to breed next season. I am still throwing around the idea of hybrids especially now that I see how similar these females are to the tasmai I have (except the tasmai is a gorgeous deep red!) I will definitely post photos here if I do have babies but it'll be a while. I am just glad I have several females now. More chances for captive bred candoia!
Photos: new females!
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
HyderHouseHerps
And Chris, I LOVE that close up head shot you have!! Awesome!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Helenthereef
What age do you think they need to be to breed?

My Candoia bibroni bibroni female still shows no signs of being at all interesting to the males and she's an 07 and getting pretty large now (Just hit 1KG and 1m 10 long)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Helenthereef
PS - more pics please!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Bioteacher
Thanks Cindy! Congrats on picking up more. Also for the locality/subspecies info, I'd just like to note that I've heard the white Candoia specific to Isabel Island, have actually been found on several islands which leads me to believe that the C. paulsoni subspecies truly may just be varieties of one another with no clear genetic distinction. It could be possible, but I haven't read any research on their genetics.

Helen - I don't know much about the C. b. bibroni as I don't think they are ever imported into the US. I've never seen one for sale or heard of anyone owning one. I know they tend to get a lot bigger though but yours seems to sound like it is of good breeding weight and age - I'd say you should separate them for a few weeks and then reintroduce them again with some heavy misting. It might induce some breeding.