Why won't my reticulated python eat?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
JohnnyBoy198888
Why won't my reticulated python eat?!

Hi everyone, my 7 month old tiger retic girl hasn't accepted food in over a month, just wondering what if anything could be wrong? Nothing has changed in terms of set-up, temps, hides, handling etc... When I bought her 4 months ago, she was a monster eater, a big baby, but very nasty, always striking never wanting to be handled, just looking at her would make her pee and poop everywhere. Everything went well for next couple months but now everything is the opposite. She now allows handling with ease, doesn't rush to strike, still quite active, but has now turned into the worst eater of all the retics here. In fact, she now is on a food strike for just over one month. She doesn't want anything to do with food. Doesn't even strike or constrict it, she will just sit still. Anybody have advice for me, she is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance to all who participate in this thread. It means a whole lot.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
reticguy76
Try adjusting your temps, humidity, moving hides, covering the cage all up (front included). Some of these retics do not read the book and always eat like they are portrayed to eat. Sometimes they develop intolerance to their micro-environment

Assuming she is not sick or anything underlying of course

Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
JohnnyBoy198888
Thank you so much Ryan, she ate for me yesterday! I am stoked about that. This is what I was going to try next but I panicked to fast for no reason! Thanks again for taking the time to reply though, it means a lot

Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
reticguy76
No problem. Sometimes they just are satisfied and arent hungry at the time you offer.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
Helenthereef
She may just have been STARVING when you first got her and then very satisfied after you fed her well. A month is nothing to worry about, but glad she's eating for you again.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
JohnnyBoy198888
She's acting weird again. Not interested in food again. Won't go in her hides any more now she just lays on top of them. I'm going to change some things up this afternoon and try again in a few days... Add an extra hide, move around some other things, raise temp and humidity a drop and see what happens. It can't hurt so let's see what this does.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
KnM-Reptiles
Sitting on top of hides? sounds like you need to raise the temp if you have a heat lamp, or lower if you have a UTH. Humidity, they say should be around 60-80%, but having tried many different temps and humidity levels on my retics, I find that they eat, shed and grow the best at: 85 degree hot side and 77 degree cool side. 50-70% humidity. Just my .02$

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!