Bad Guy Martin Fox (DBM Reptiles) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Lolo76
Martin Fox (DBM Reptiles)

Never thought I'd have to post a "bad guy" thread, since I'm extremely careful about my online purchases... but when somebody has multiple "good guy" threads and positive reps, etc, how can one know it's a scam?

To summarize, I contacted Martin Fox aka DBM Reptiles (also using the partner name of Danny Lozano - uninvolved) on 1/21/10, to purchase an adult female ball python from his Fauna ad. He responded with shipping information, I sent the money via PayPal, and expected to be receiving a snake eventually... instead I received a strange email the following day, claiming that his "partner" Danny Lozano had cut off ties, and had possession of my snake. That's the last I heard from Martin Fox, and after emailing with Mr. Lozano for a few days, I proceeded to file a claim with PayPal. Luckily they have already judged in my favor, and will be returning all of my $110... including the $85 that I sent as a "gift" at his suggestion, which I knew was a red-flag at the time (went against my gut due to his supposed reputation).

As you will see from the emails below, Danny Lozano claims to have no involvement whatsoever, and I believe him... especially considering his ongoing & helpful communication with me. So the bad guy here is ONLY Martin Fox aka DBM Reptiles, and I just wanted to warn everyone in case he tries this again. Our transaction may have been for a small amount, but he could easily take somebody for thousands. I'll post the communications below, and please let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Thanks, Laura Pasternack

Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Lolo76
Here is the string of communication on this matter... lots of reading material!

01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Lolo76
Normal female BP
I was wondering if you'd be willing to ship to San Francisco, area code 94132? The weather here should be warm enough, averaging about 47/53 (low/high) right now. Please let me know, since I'm desperate for another breedable girl! I'd be interested in the 5th girl pictured if you say yes... and to verify, that's still $110 including shipping, correct?
Thanks, Laura Pasternack
lbpasternack@yahoo.com

01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
DBM Reptiles
Re: Normal female BP
I would love if everyone was in as nice weather as you!(EVEN ME!) Anyway yes it is still $110 shipped no matter where you are. All I would need is a date you are for sure going to be available to sign for her. We can only guarantee live arrival if she is signed for on the FIRST delivery attempt. If you do send the money if you can send it as a payment owed or gift so payapl doesn't charge us a fee it would be appreciated! Our paypal is dbmreptiles@yahoo.com . Once the money is sent if you can email us or send a pm on Fauna with the shipping info. After that we can choose a day that best fits you. Thanks again!
Daniel Lozano & Martin Fox....DBM Reptiles...Chicago, Il

01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Lolo76
Yeah, I guess there's a reason San Francisco is the most expensive city in the US... any time of the year, it's almost always between 50-65 degrees. Perfect!
I do want that girl I mentioned (5th pictured), and could take delivery any day. I don't work until 2pm, and my roommate works in the evening - so one of us is always here in the morning. Let me go double-check my money situation, and I'll get back to you and/or transfer the funds tonight.
Thanks, Laura
P.S. I might wait on receiving her until after 1/31, since I'm moving next weekend... local move, but probably best to minimize her stress. I'd still pay in full now, though, even if we wait on shipping.

Your payment has been sent
Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:19 AM
To: "Laura Pasternack" <lbpasternack@yahoo.com>
Hello Laura Pasternack,
Your payment for $25.00 USD to dbmreptiles@yahoo.com has been sent.
It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.
Payment details
Amount: $25.00 USD
Transaction Date: Jan 23, 2010
Transaction ID: 25864457MC318044S
Subject: You've got money!
Deposit for adult female Ball Python #5... will send the rest after this weekend.

01-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Lolo76
If it's okay with you, I just sent a $25 deposit/hold... only because I'm still waiting for a paycheck to clear, and don't want to do anything bigger until then. It should clear after the weekend, so I can transfer the rest on Monday. Is that alright? We'll discuss shipping after then, but right now I'm thinking of February 2nd or 3rd - unless you want her out sooner, in which case any day next week is fine.
Thanks, Laura Pasternack

01-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Lolo76
Hi,
I was just wondering if you'd gotten my last PM, and the $25 payment I sent... want to make sure before I send the rest! Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier - how much does that girl (#5) currently weigh?
Thanks, Laura

01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
DBM Reptiles
We did recieve the payment! She is currently 1,300 grams. She is I think by far the best reduced pattern normal female we have.
Daniel Lozano & Martin Fox....DBM Reptiles...Chicago, Il

Your payment has been sent
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:32 AM
Hello Laura Pasternack,
Your payment for $85.00 USD to dbmreptiles@yahoo.com has been sent.
It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.
Payment details
Amount: $85.00 USD
Transaction Date: Jan 27, 2010
Transaction ID: 5MB84891JM1301417
Subject: You've got money!
Please email me at lbpasternack@yahoo.com to discuss the details... thanks!

01-27-2010, 03:37 AM
Lolo76
I just sent you the remainder of the payment ($85 - $110 total) for normal female #5. Please email me at lbpasternack@yahoo.com when you have a chance, to discuss shipping... I'm thinking of next Wednesday or Thursday, but any day after February 1st is fine. Btw, do you have any more pictures of her? I can't even find your original listing, so I guess you deleted it already. Thanks again, and I can't wait to meet her!
- Laura

Female # 5
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:57 PM
To: lbpasternack@yahoo.com
Payment recieved! I would gladly take more pictures of her but right now she is REALLY deep in shed. I still can send photo's if you like. We are available Monday-Thursday to ship. It's no problem for us we just want it to be as convienent for you. We also try to keep the date for shipping them because we need to be certain someone will be available to sign for her. Let us know of any concerns or questions.
Thanks,
DBM Reptiles

Female # 5
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:00 PM
Sorry about that I completely forgot we did delete the posting. We are keeping the rest of the females we have. We are concentrating more on selling our Male Pin and Mojave that were pictured in the same post as your normal. We just happened to make a new post and just got rid of the old one. Sorry for the inconvienence.

Danny Lozano's email....
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:25 PM
Just thought I would let you know I'm officially danny's partner according to him. I feel worse on your behalf than mine because I could care less about him and would only hope he follows through on the transaction. I made the biggest mistake ever putting my name on anything that had to do with him. I want you to keep in mind I do not own or have any snakes, these were always daniels. I was just the person who took care of shipping and writing to customers and he did the rest. Hell i don't even have the paypal debit card and the account is under MY NAME!!! I was just writing you in hopes you get your snake and you can bring this matter up with him. His email is danandmeg2003@yahoo.com . I will still continue to check this email like I said before in hopes he follows through on the transaction since he really is in charge of everything. Words cannot even explain how pissed off I am!! He wants to sit here and say how much of a big shot he is and that he makes so much but yet can't even pay the person who deals with all the hastle that he would hate to do. Out of $1,900 he paid me $100? You tell me how that is fair? And out of the last $1,200 he made he paid me $60? are you serious? This guy is unbelievable!! I can go on and on about this guy , I just wanted to let you know from danny's exact words were done, we're not buisness partners, nothing. That's all fine with me But like I said I can only HOPE for the best for you guy's and I hope you recieve your snake. I would be glad to hear what he has to say!

Danny lozano's email...
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:39 PM
Sorry meant to say NOT danny's Partner according to him.

Re: Danny Lozano's email....
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:49 PM
To: "Martin Fox" <dbmreptiles@yahoo.com>
Uh-oh... What does this all mean? Should I cancel the transaction??

Re. Martin & my snake purchase
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:47 PM
View contact details
To: danandmeg2003@yahoo.com
Hi Danny,
I just paid for a snake (normal adult female Ball Python #5) with the assistance of Martin through Fauna, and then received a strange email about your business "breakup." I'm very concerned now, and want to make sure I'll be getting the snake I paid for! Do you know anything about this, and will my transaction still be completed? Please let me know asap, before I request a refund from PayPal...
Thanks, Laura Pasternack

Re: Re. Martin & my snake purchase
Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:09 AM
Everything in paypal is under martin fox's name, he cleared out our paypal account and took all the money. I have nothing to do with paypal it's not in my name, so you have to deal with martin under dbmreptiles@yahoo.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:43 AM
I know he requested a check from paypal for the balance that you sent from the snake. If you call paypal they might be able to stop the check since he jusy did it last night. That's about all I could help with since none of it is in my name and I don't control paypal

Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:43 PM
To: "Danny Lozano" <danandmeg2003@yahoo.com>
Sooooo... Where's my snake?? Does she even exist, or was this a scam? I'm very confused, and will be extremely mad if I get screwed - since for me at this time, $110 is a LOT of money to lose. I'll try calling PayPal, but would rather just get the snake I paid for...
Thanks, Laura

Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:40 PM
martin fox cleared the pay pal account and requested a check in his name to be sent to his house. i have no part in this as i own no snakes. Paypal, fauna is all ran by him. As you can see from reviews on fauna everything is posted to martin fox I have no idea why he gave you my email. You need to contact him under his email which is dbmreptiles@yahoo.com
He is giving you my email because he is trying to scam you out of your money and blame me and I don't have access to fauna, paypal, or his email. We used to be friends and I think he is trying to use my email. I don't own anything so there is nothing I can do. Sorry

Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:37 PM
To: "Danny Lozano" <danandmeg2003@yahoo.com>
Wow, that really sucks... for both of us! I just filed a complaint with PayPal, and talked to them on the phone earlier. They said it shouldn't be a problem getting my money - I just have to call them back with my credit card info (didn't have it on me), and they'll get to work on it. Sorry for bothering you, and cross your fingers that my money is returned.
Thanks, Laura
P.S. I have emailed w/ him a few times, but no responses since Tuesday. (I meant to say Wednesday)

Re: Danny Lozano's email....
Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:46 PM
To: "Martin Fox" <dbmreptiles@yahoo.com>
Hi Martin,
After speaking briefly with Danny, I think I'd like to get my money refunded... apparently you two aren't communicating, and my snake seems to be caught in limbo - and I can't afford to waste that money right now! I knew it was a mistake to do the $85 as a "gift" (should have seen that as a red-flag), since PayPal won't let me dispute a gift. So hopefully we can resolve this amicably between the two of us, although I will file a dispute for the $25 if you don't respond soon. Please get back to me asap, before we have to take any further action.
Thanks, Laura

PayPal dispute: Item not received PP-888-114-226
Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:14 PM
Hello Laura Pasternack,
You have opened a dispute for the payment you made to Martin Fox on Jan 23, 2010 (Transaction 25864457MC318044S) indicating that you did not receive the item you purchased.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Transaction details
----------------------------------------------------------------
Seller's Name: Martin Fox
Seller's Email: dbmreptiles@yahoo.com
Seller's Transaction ID: 0A238266KA6291215
Transaction Amount: -$25.00 USD
Your Transaction ID: 25864457MC318044S
Case Number: PP-888-114-226
Buyer's Transaction ID: 25864457MC318044S
Response deadline: Feb 17, 2010

Your dispute has been escalated - PP-888-114-226
Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:49 PM
Hello Laura Pasternack,
We're looking into this case and will decide the outcome.
Thanks for contacting us. We're looking into your case and will decide the
outcome. Here are the case details:
-----------------------------------
Transaction details

Your dispute has been escalated - PP-888-124-365
Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:49 PM
Hello Laura Pasternack,
Thanks for contacting us. We're looking into your case and will decide the
outcome. Here are the case details:
Transaction details
Recipient's Name: Martin Fox
Recipient's Email: dbmreptiles@yahoo.com
Recipient's Transaction ID: 01G50463BL645683X
Transaction Date: Jan 27, 2010
Transaction Amount: -$85.00 USD
Your Transaction ID: 5MB84891JM1301417
Case Number: PP-888-124-365
Sender's Transaction ID: 5MB84891JM1301417

(February 8, 2010)
Hello Laura Pasternack,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $25.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

Transaction Details

Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Lolo76
P.S. I'm still waiting for confirmation on the rest of the money ($85) being returned... they just sent that first one tonight, so I assume it will be sent within the evening.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Alex G
Wow, what a fiasco! I got a headache just imagining it. Sorry you had to deal with that,does Martin know about this thread?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Royal Morphz
Phone :
Daniel Lozano : 1-773-690-6446
Martin Fox : 1-708-795-9503

You can Email us at dbmreptiles@yahoo.com
Not sure if this will help I got this off of there contact us page at this link
http://dbmreptiles.weebly.com/contact.html

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Lolo76
Thanks, Tim. Daniel also told me that Martin's on Facebook, and apparently he is quite young... we should tell his parents what he's up to, LOL.

Oh, and I haven't informed him of this thread yet - didn't think it mattered, since he hasn't responded to any other emails I've sent (since the last communication). But I'll let him know, if you think that's the right thing to do.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Royal Morphz
Actually Laura as the starter of said thread a nice email informing Martin of this thread would be the right move.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Royal Morphz
More info his Myspace page says he is 21 but we all know you can lie there
http://www.myspace.com/armecrew

Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
Royal Morphz
Here is a myspace for dbm reptiles but it says 32 ??????? and this one hasnt been accessed since 9-19-2009

Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Lolo76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Morphz View Post
Actually Laura as the starter of said thread a nice email informing Martin of this thread would be the right move.
Yeah, I'll do that tonight... he does deserve a chance to defend himself, although to me it's a moot point now. I don't know who screwed whom (Daniel or Martin), but something is definitely not right - and clearly not professional. At least I got my money back, and hopefully this thread will keep others from losing theirs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!