Non-feeding babies? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
Pink Lady Exotics
Non-feeding babies?

At what point do you begin to worry about a hatchling not eating? #2 in the group of 3 that hatched 2 weeks ago seems to be lagging behind the others in every department. He came out second, but came out before his umbilicus was fully absorbed and started crawling which made it bleed -- so I had put him into a little cup with damp papertowels for another day until it finished up. It worked, and he came out fine. I got all 3 set up into individual tubs with newspaper, water cups, and clay pot bottoms as hides (which they like). The other 2 turned blue within about 6 days of hatching, but he didn't until about 2 days after they did. Then they shed, and he didn't shed until 4 days after his siblings. The other 2 ate their first meals (x-small adult mice) but this one refused to go near it. I even offered something smaller 2 days later (fuzzy mouse) and all he did was defensively strike and start hyperventilating. How long can hatchlings live off the yolk they absorbed and at what point do I need to worry?

Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
shrap
I would not worry too much until 6-7 weeks post shed. Then depending on the condition of the snake I may assist feed.

Dont try to feed more than once a week. If they dont eat then wait until next week. Offering food several times a week is just going to keep them stressed. Literally just leave them alone all week other than changing water.

I usually start weeks 1 and 2 post shed with a live rat fuzzy left in over night. Weeks 3 and 4 post shed I will use some tongs and slowly dangle the live rat fuzzy or crawler mouse in front of their hide. If they dont go for it off the tongs I leave it in over night again. At week 5 post shed if they still have not eaten I take a live crawler mouse or rat fuzzy in a small snake bag or deli cup overnight. That almost always does the trick for me.

Well I should not say always, I have only had one Ball hatchling ever go to week 5 without eating and the deli cup did the trick. Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
jglass38
Sammy gave you some excellent tips. Check out this link as well:

http://8ballpythons.com/journal/gett...ingseating.htm

Some really good tips that have helped me in the past.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Pink Lady Exotics
Thanks you guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!