Need advice on King Snakes in N. Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Kingetula
Need advice on King Snakes in N. Florida

I have caught or seen many Florida Snakes. Even if they were dead on the road I at least saw one. I have never seen an Eastern King or Florida King in the 20 years I have lived in this state.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Kingetula
Well I went road cruising last night

We came across 1 Corn snake (About a year old) BEAUTIFUL ORANGE!
Water snakes and Ribbon snakes mostly however I was a few seconds late on a Mud Snake (Pink belly markings) It was still moving but not in good shape.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
BrianDorry55
Ya know...ive read alot of different books and things saying where to look for kings...and ive never seen em in those spots...

I have a fishing spot back in the marsh...and one day, we and my brother-in-law were paddling around in there, and actually we made our way out the mouth of the inlet that we fish in...when i see this thick snake hauling across the water, we paddled over, and much to my pleasant suprise, it was a 6 and a half foot florida kingsnake! It was a beautiful snake, really calm and didnt try to bite...so we brought him into shore and released him...

Then about a month later, we were walking the limerock trail that leads to our spot, where you can get to it by land actually...and sure enough there is a smaller florida kingsnake, this one being about 5 feet stretched across the path...this one was also very calm and both were a joy to catch...

Those are the only two ive seen...and if you think about it, it makes sense...as i have seen more wild rodents around marshy habitats than anywhere else...so i would try looking around those types of areas....Good Luck, I hope you find your kingsnake...im sure it will be one of your favorites!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
dumje
Find water...every Florida King I have ever caught has been on a canal or creek bank...i have never caught or seen a wild Eastern...that is one I would love to catch...anybody in North Florida got a place they want to share...PM or just post it...I am in Miami and there is no way I could hit your place on a regular basis.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingetula

As uncommon as some of the snakes I have seen I have never seen a live or dead King

Any advice on finding these guys before I die?

I know, trash piles and all that but trust me I have looked. Something has to give!!!
Kings are actually common in their prefered habitat.

Ponds and streams that are overgrown around the edges with tall grasses and brush are prime King habitat.

Look around these areas and you will see you first wild Kingsnakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!