Indian Frybread - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Indian Frybread

it's easy and delicious. I like mine with honey or powdered sugar. MmMmm

recipe and tips from my stepmom (Lakota)

(feeds 2 big appetites - or four regular)

2 cups of self-rising flour
3/4 - 1 cup milk
1/2 cup Sugar (optional)

Mix until sticky-gooey (adding more flour or milk as needed)

Flour your kneading board and hands really well (you'll need to replenish as you go along)

Half a handful of dough - pat out into thin semi round mass - make up about two-to-four before frying.

*****Ease***** into hot (nearly smoking) Crisco (don't use a generic - for some reason it makes a huge difference...) Use a deep skillet, not a pot. Cooks more evenly and you don't waste as much Crisco.

When edges turn golden brown (about 30-40 seconds), turn with tongs and brown 20-30 seconds.

Remove with tongs and let excess oil drip back into skillet, then lay bread on paper towels (keep warm in oven on papered platter while you cook up the rest.)

Wash your hands, clean the dough out from under your nails, and enjoy with cinnamon-sugar, or honey, powdered sugar, ice cream, fruit & whipped cream... Or put taco meat, cheese, salsa, etc on top and make Ind'n Tacos. Or try Ind'n pizza with fried baloney (flat hot dogs,) with cheese, onions, & pickles on top.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
JCCS
That stuff is poison, but oh so damned good. I had my first fry bread on the Navajo reservation last year and damn, I know why diabetes is such an issue with that population, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!