!@#$*% Raccoons! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
timebider
!@#$*% Raccoons!

I have a tiny garden, being a suburban gal, but nevertheless I'm proud of it. Haven't had any problems with critters, thanks largely to the dogs - until yesterday, when the raccoons discovered the corn patch. They trashed it, tearing down stalks for no apparent reason and leaving gnawed cobs still attached to the plants. The most fool-proof remedy I've found online is erecting an electric fence, which is not an option for me (though it could provide some cheap entertainment ).

Anyone have any ideas about how to deter them from taking the rest of my crop tonight? I am not above resorting to underhanded tricks that may involve espionage and ambush. I have about 20 good ears left, if they're allowed to ripen. Grrrr!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
RoadHouse of Retics
Im not an expert but I think you have to trap them or they will keep coming back. There territorial so you have to set them free far away from where you caught them.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
timebider
Unfortunately, that's not really an option either. There are woods behind the house and they'll most likely just keep coming. I may have to go Caddyshack on their furry little behinds.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
RoadHouse of Retics
Well that was the other option but I knew you already was aware of that. I guess you can make some Davy Crockett hats.....

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
snowgyre
Try spraying the corn with bug spray? It tastes vile and in small doses is relatively harmless and should wear off in a few days.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
kerit
I've been told that ammonia keeps them away, though that was for garbage cans, not gardens. Our unwelcome, repeat visitor met with a .22... I wanted the brazen disease-carrying thief permanently off our porch and away from the dogs!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
I've made a couple threads about coons here on the forum in the past. I've eliminated them in the past and eventually more take their place and have to dispatch of them too.

Now, I don't think I would do it because of the part of the country I'm located in. The state of California has always allowed for the killing of nuisance raccoons outside of hunting if they were destroying property or killing livestock.

Last couple of years there have been several cases here that gives me pause. Several have been charged with felony animal cruelty charges for protecting livestock and pets from varmints (raccoons) regardless. Even while they were in the process of killing other animals. Anyone on the coast here or in Southern California need to be very careful when protecting your own property or you may face losing your freedom.

I have live traps and can move them far away but technically that is also against the law.

I hate them with a passion. Not only do they kill chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits and destroy crops, they don't even really eat the animals. They just rip them to shreds and leave carcasses everywhere.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
WebSlave
If you have a hose that reaches to your garden, then this will likely help...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2GQ5PVN45P4FYJ

It certainly helped to keep the varmints out of our peach tree this year.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
Anyone ever tried wolf or cougar urine?

I know that's supposed to help keep beaver away from dams, though IDK about raccoons.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Anyone ever tried wolf or cougar urine?

I know that's supposed to help keep beaver away from dams, though IDK about raccoons.
Yes, it worked about as well as those electronic sound repellents. They don't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!