Woma keeping question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
christopher66
Woma keeping question.

Hello,

My name is Chris,Ive been hanging around a little while and have a serious question{for once} to ask.
I have a Woma comming,2 year old,male not sure on legnth 2-3feet my guess.

Question;Which would be more appropriate ,a 36Lx48Hx24D or a 48Lx24Hx24D
cage.How arboreal will a Woma be?
And what heating application would be better,radiant heat panel,or underneath heat tape?
Thanks for any advise,i have seen both applications and cage size used ,just want to get some varying opinions

Chris

Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
hhmoore
I won't say that a woma won't use the height if it is available (even balls, bloods, and dumerils boas will climb on things if they are there), but they are not a particularly arboreal python. Take a look at the face - that is the face of a burrower. They will routinely shelter in small animal burrows and make depressions in the sand to escape the heat. I keep my (adult) womas in 3x2x1 cages.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
christopher66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I won't say that a woma won't use the height if it is available (even balls, bloods, and dumerils boas will climb on things if they are there), but they are not a particularly arboreal python. Take a look at the face - that is the face of a burrower. They will routinely shelter in small animal burrows and make depressions in the sand to escape the heat. I keep my (adult) womas in 3x2x1 cages.
OK..i have heard about the burowing aspect ...what substrate would i use so as not to discourage that .I thought of putting a few inches of ? in so he would be able to.Cypress mulch..repti sand..or aspen , which would work best.

Chris

Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
hhmoore
I keep my adults on indented paper, babies on paper towels, juvies-subadults on newspaper. Of the 3 substrates you mentioned, I would go with the aspen. Mulch tends to raise the humidity, and I just don't like sand. Even with aspen, some care needs to be taken to prevent ingestion during feeding - particularly if you use f/t (make sure the prey item is dry so substrate doesn't stick to it) - unless you feed in a separate container.

With regards to heat (sorry, I forgot to address that before), I use both radiant heat panels and heat tape - not on the same cages, of course. The choice is largely dependent on user preference, but cage style/setup is also a factor. What type of cage will you be using, and what type of ventilation?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
Ophidiophile
I keep my womas on aspen and they have thrived and bred well. Mine move around a lot and while I think the smaller cages you mentioned would work ok, if possible I'd go with the 4 footers. By the way, I hope your 2 year old male is bigger than 2-3 feet -- that's really small for a 2 year old woma! Five feet would be more like it!

Have fun with em - womas are great!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
hhmoore
I do have my largest female in a 4x2 cage, and agree that it is a good size once they reach 6ft or so.
Personally, I agree that a two year old should be over 3 ft...but I didn't want to spark a debate on appropriate feeding/growth right in the middle of Christopher's thread, lol - for some reason, I have a knack for stirring that pot.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
christopher66
My mistake I talked to the guy today,and he is over 4 feet.

Which cage would you say is small?
4' h x 3' w x 2' d....or.....2' h x 4' w x 2' d

Chris

Old 08-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
hhmoore
I believe he was talking about my 3x2x1s, but they are a good fit.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
christopher66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I believe he was talking about my 3x2x1s, but they are a good fit.

Oh...i was confused
And he said go with the 4 footers...does he mean H or W??

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!