My Cribo.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
DavidBeard
My Cribo....

Here are some pics of my '03 male Black-Tailed Cribo:

Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
BWSmith
David must have thought this was the classifieds ...........

bwahahaha, couldn't help it

Old 11-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
epidemic
How old are those, Dave?

It looks as though the tails are fading, which could be D. m unicolor influence, as D. m unicolor generally start with coal black tails which fade with age..

Jeff

Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
DavidBeard
lol BW.

Jeff, the snake is an '03 and the pics were taken last week.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Wilomn
That has got, providing it has been yours since 03,to be a record.

Still a nice looking snake.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
thesnakeman
I agree with Jeff. I'd be afraid to call that a black tail or a unicolor at this point. Although it's most definitely a cribo. And I am leaning toward unicolor. Let's see what happens with age. Keep us posted. I'm sure some intergrades have been imported. And from what I have seen in my own uinicolor babies this year, they are highly variable. So it is difficult to tell for sure sometimes.
T.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
DavidBeard
I have been told he is not a true Black-Tail in the past, but thats what I bought him as, so thats what I'll call him....whatever he is, hes an awesome snake to keep.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
epidemic
BT's and Uni's

Most of the D. m melanurus imports I have seen over the past four - five years have harbored brown or mahogany tails, though most all of the imports ten plus years ago generally harbored coal black tails. Of course, local collecting and export regulations have changed greatly in the Meso Americas over the past ten years, so such could have to do with the localities from which specimens are being collected. We know the geographical ranges between D. m melanurus and D. m unicolor overlap and it is highly likely the two ssp. integrate within such areas, producing offspring with lighter colored tails than "pure" D. m melanurus, though darker than "true" D. m unicolor.
Whatever it is, Dave, I am certain it is a wonderful snake to work with, as all Drys are. I thought the snake was younger, as it appears to be small for a three, going on four, year old, but then again, pictures can be deceiving. All of my D. m melanurus have been at or just shy of 7’ by their fourth birthday, with a couple stretching just past the 8’ mark by that age….

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 11-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
DavidBeard
The pics are deceiving.....he is every bit of 6' long and very robust. He has never missed a meal and loves his rats.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
epidemic
Thanks David!

I figured that might be the case! While they can be slow to start feeding, they certainly make up for lost time once they do!

Thanks again for sharing,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!