How old is your oldest snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

View Poll Results: How Old is yourt Oldest Snake?
10-14 Years 14 37.84%
15-19 Years 11 29.73%
20-24 Years 8 21.62%
25+ Years 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
TheFragginDragon
How old is your oldest snake?

After re-reading the book "What's Wrong with my Snake" (for the umpteenth time), and coming across a statement made to the effect that the authors have never seen an albino more than (I think) 12 years old, I'm curious as to how many people have what would be considered 'middle aged' or 'geriatric' snakes.

This poll is designed for those with snakes 10 years or older.

So, in addition to voting in the poll, please post what kind of snake you have, what morph (if applicable), and it's age. Also, let us know if you've had to implement any special practices to care for your old friend.

Added: Pics of your oldest are certainly encouraged!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
aleria
I got my first normal bp when I was 10 years old. He is now 15 years old and going strong. He had some difficulties during his first year due to a negligent neighbor that was caring for him while I was on a family vacation, almost died due to rat bites. But he survived, is a bit scarred up, but no worse for the wear.

I still give him the same care that I give my other snakes but find that he likes attention far more than they do after so many years with all that human interaction. He's also far more chill and has never once snapped at me unlike the younger boas that I have. He's the type to want to be out of his cage and curled up with me on a near daily basis. So that is what he gets when he asks for it.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Keith Stambaugh
I bought my oldest pair in 1999 and I was told they were almost 3 years old then, that puts them close to 15 years old. The pair is an albino female burm and a male green burm. AND she has layed 5 clutches of eggs. YES an albino over 10 years and she has always been healthy.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
redhood23
I still have my first normal ball python oscar (she is a girl, my mom named her) that I got for my 10th birthday and I will be 28 in september. So 18 years old is my oldest. I also have a 10 year old pastel.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
mercuryts
my oldest snake is 12 going on 13 and still going strong, he fasted for over a year but is now eating again. he's one tough ball python. my cousin had a burmese for around 15 years i believe, but mines only 3

Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
My oldest is the first boa I got, she's 22 this year (born in 1989). Just a nice normal female, I've shared her before, her name is Autumn.

Here we are hanging out back in 2000:

She's bigger now of course since boas don't stop growing. here's a cool photo my friend took earlier this year when she was yawning:

I also have a corn snake that will be 11 this year, so getting up there. Raised her from a month old baby. Garnet:

So far neither of these girls are showing their age. Garnet's skin is a bit dingy but that's about it. Both still have their eyesight, good muscle tone, skin elasticity and feeding responses so I am very glad about that and hope I can have them both around for many more years to come.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
oh and since I just re-read your post - my oldest albino boa is Lemondrop, she is 13 this year. Was born in 1998 produced by P. Kahl. Was powerfed by the original owner (I got her at 4 years of age) which may or may not play a roll in a shortened lifespan, only time will tell.

I do believe she may be one of the oldest albinos currently alive?

photo from last year (just a side note, the breeding did not take)

Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
deborahbroadus
14 year old Delores "Dinker." WC.

No special handling. Good skin and muscle-tone. Continues to shed (grow). Appetite is very good. She's not fat.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
akaangela
We have an 26 y.o texas rat snake. He is given the same care as he has always been given. LOL

Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
MDC_Ophiuchus
Sometime in the winter of 1992/1993, I had a friend who had a ball python ("Baldy"). Through him and his parents, I convinced my own parents to let me have a snake. On Feb 20, 1993, we went to this rat shack of a pet shop in my hometown and I got Jasper, my first snake. He was an already grown ball python at about 3.5 ft. Through the years, he has been in many different habitats, but he won't grow an inch over 42." He did fast once for nearly 9 months, and then developed a taste for light-colored hamsters, refusing all else. I finally got him to take rats again in 2007, much to my joy. Now, except for a small scab on one of his eyes, he's still going strong.

Recently, my friend (who actually works at the same company as I do) approached me saying that he was moving out of his parents house, and the apartment he was renting didn't allow pets. So he asked me if I wanted to adopt "Baldy," his ball python that essentially paved the road for me to get Jasper so many years ago. Naturally, I obliged, and now I have two geriatric snakes. I tell people its funny that out of all my animals, those are the only two snakes I use a hook with. They're both like crotchety, grumpy old men!

Given Jasper's size and the likelihood he was WC, I guestimate that he was around 3 yrs old when I acquired him in '93, which puts him in the 20-21 yr range. Of course, he could be older than that, but who knows?

I seem to remember Baldy being a smaller BP when I first met him, so I always assumed he was a year or two younger than Jasper. However, despite his vigorous appetite, he often seems more "rickety" than Jasper, and doesn't seem to pack on weight like Jasper does. Of course, I'm not sure on the quality of his care for the past 18 yrs.

Don't have any pics of Baldy yet, but here's a few of Jasper.

Curling up with a few good books

"Standing" out in the yard

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
geriatric, morph, snake