normal ball pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
pony1964
normal ball pythons

Someone please explain to me why "normal" ball pythons are considered "trash" in the breeding aspect when I was under the impression that all "morphs" orginiated from "normals". I run a shelter where "surrendered" reptiles are brought and when I try to find them good homes, I am told they are "trash"????? Any of these balls, were orginally bought at herp shows where the owners were told they were "het" for whatever and spent a good buck, but due to unforseen circumstances had to surrender them to a shelter. Because we do not breed< I have no idea if they are really "het" for anything. Please explain this thinking to me??? Pony1964

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
snowgyre
I wouldn't consider them 'trash.' Normal females still form a very important component of breeding plans. Since many traits are dominant or co-dominant, you can breed a morph male to a normal female and get morphs in the first breeding (e.g. mojave x normal = 50% chance each baby will be mojave).

Perhaps this mentality is more for male normals? Male normals are relatively useless for breeding, because in most cases you can buy male morphs for very cheap (e.g. male pastels or male yellowbellies go for $100 now, which in some cases is cheaper than what you can buy a male normal for in a pet shop).

Any snake owner worth their salt will never call any animal in their collection trash. If someone calls one of their animals trash, then the animal was an impulse buy, or the person thought they could get rich breeding them. These people do not care about the animal, nor are they typically knowledgeable about their care.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I wouldn't consider them 'trash.' Normal females still form a very important component of breeding plans. Since many traits are dominant or co-dominant, you can breed a morph male to a normal female and get morphs in the first breeding (e.g. mojave x normal = 50% chance each baby will be mojave).

Perhaps this mentality is more for male normals? Male normals are relatively useless for breeding, because in most cases you can buy male morphs for very cheap (e.g. male pastels or male yellowbellies go for $100 now, which in some cases is cheaper than what you can buy a male normal for in a pet shop).

Any snake owner worth their salt will never call any animal in their collection trash. If someone calls one of their animals trash, then the animal was an impulse buy, or the person thought they could get rich breeding them. These people do not care about the animal, nor are they typically knowledgeable about their care.
Nice post Vanessa
I think that about sums it up right there.^^

I would just like to add my emphasis on how the people calling their animals trash are really the ones who are trash. I have had animals that cost me money and I didn't even "like" them....ie cats! Lol

I would NEVER call one trash though! No reason for that at all.....

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
pony1964
Thank you snowgyre and radera for your reply. I agree, they are not trash and make lovely pets, whether you breed or not. Mary Ann

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
reptilebaby
I love normals. I intend to use normal girls to breed my morph boys to.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Focal
One persons trash is another persons treasure

Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
SpitZu
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony1964 View Post
when I try to find them good homes, I am told they are "trash"?????
Probably just from some seedy local "breeder" looking for cheap morphs.

I've heard several times now that some big breeders kill normals right out of the egg. I hope it's not true, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
reptilebaby
If they think THAT badly of them, just GIVE the poor things to someone who'll love them!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitZu View Post
I've heard several times now that some big breeders kill normals right out of the egg. I hope it's not true, but I wouldn't be too surprised.
I hope not either. I mean, if nothing else, at least don't let it go to waste and feed it to a monitor or kingsnake or something. Of course, that being an absolute last resort if you can't give it away to a good home (very unlikely since there's always an outlet for baby normals if you look around).

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
MrBig
I feel and have found that "normal" females can influence the look of morphs when combined. I have a normal girl I can't wait to put with mojo's and lessers, as I feel she will significantly improve the look of the offspring. As to the trash comment, I completely agree that someone who would call any animal trash is in fact trash themselves and someone I wouldn't even sell feeder rodents to. I also like the one persons trash is anothers treasure comment. The ONE snake in my collection who will be with me for the remainder of her life is a normal, every morph I have will most likely be replaced with a combination morph down the road, but my girl Smokey has a special place here and always will.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!