Help?? !!! What would you do?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Rock Star Reptile
Help?? !!! What would you do??

Ok so here is my problem. Maybe I am blowing this way out and the answer is just right there.
So I had this guy buy a Ball python In July. The temps where he was was to hot for a bit so we waited. Also He is in the military and he is trying to rely on his business friend to set up a time for me to deliver. Now I have no problem holding this long for this guy just because I am ex-military and know how it goes. But now 3 months have passed and I get a mail saying he is having problems with his business partner and now wants to back out of the ball python. Also asking if I know if I know anyone who can buy the rest of his snakes???? A bit crazy for him.
So the break down. I said he needed 150. deposit. then the rest. He paid in full.
I am ready to ship. Now this..
Is this a no brainer or???
What would you do.

thanks in advance.
I have thought about saying I will sell this snake I have and when it sells I will pay him back his money less the 150 deposit. I guess I eat the 3 months of food cost.

Help
Ted@RR

Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Utta
refund him - the deposit, I think is industry standard.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Rock Star Reptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
refund him - the deposit, I think is industry standard.
Yeah I figured I would refund him. But what about having him wait till I sell his before he gets the money? Does this sound fair? As long as he is cool with it.
I am not looking at trying to get more money than the deposit. I guess I just want some sort of reassurance that I am offering and doing the right thing. I feel bad for the guy being over seas and having the crap hit the fan back here in the states.

thanks for the input.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Utta
either way its still in your posession. Just refund him now and be done with one issue.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
Rock Star Reptile
I will take that into consideration. thanks you again.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Biscuit71
Yea, It sucks that the deal fell through, but i can feel for the guy being prior military.... Kudos for doing the right thing!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
hhmoore
You would be well within your rights to keep the deposit, as you are not stating you cannot provide the animal....however, under the circumstances, I think many would refund that as well. You could hold the deposit until the sale of the snake, and pro rate the return based on any money lost (ie selling for a lower price and feeders)....but, IMO, that's just a pain in the
My response would be to acknowledge his situation, and his service, then refund what has been paid.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Rock Star Reptile
So I offered to hold as long as he needed because I didn't want him to lose out & it might help him.
So now he has decided to ask for pics and want to sell the snake as I hold it. Then I ship it. He didn't want to lose any money. Then when he sells him I will ship it out to that location.
Not sure how this will work but I will work something out for him.
Thank you all for the input. Just a first for me all around & I want to do the right thing.
I have in the past held animals over the winter & gave photo email updates so they can see what they have bought doing well & eating etc.

I think after all this I will change some of my policies to clearly cover such things as this.

Thank you all again
Ted

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
hhmoore
Well, having been in THAT situation recently (for a somewhat different reason), what are you going to do in 4 months when the snake is still in your possession?
What if something happens during shipping, and the snake is DOA or unwell? Who repays the customer?
What if the snake dies before it is sold? If vet bills are incurred?
Are you going to take pics of the snake with his name, and the date, if that is what a potential customer asks?
Feeding costs? Will you be compensated? Are you to feed the snake as if it was on you were planning to breed, or will you use a maintenance schedule?
What if - 6 to 8 months down the line, when prices have dropped - he informs you that he wants a refund?
Or, if he ends up selling the snake at that time for a reduced price, and he wants to you refund the difference?

Some of the above might sound like unusual questions, or no brainers....but, remember, it isn't YOUR snake, now. It is his - he paid for it - you are just taking care of it for him.

Before agreeing to hold onto the snake as long as needed for somebody, I recommend thinking about all the things that can go wrong....and discussing the situation. It's a pain in the butt, but I'd probably want to prepare some sort of agreement to cover the bases.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Rock Star Reptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Well, having been in THAT situation recently (for a somewhat different reason), what are you going to do in 4 months when the snake is still in your possession?
What if something happens during shipping, and the snake is DOA or unwell? Who repays the customer?
What if the snake dies before it is sold? If vet bills are incurred?
Are you going to take pics of the snake with his name, and the date, if that is what a potential customer asks?
Feeding costs? Will you be compensated? Are you to feed the snake as if it was on you were planning to breed, or will you use a maintenance schedule?
What if - 6 to 8 months down the line, when prices have dropped - he informs you that he wants a refund?
Or, if he ends up selling the snake at that time for a reduced price, and he wants to you refund the difference?

Some of the above might sound like unusual questions, or no brainers....but, remember, it isn't YOUR snake, now. It is his - he paid for it - you are just taking care of it for him.

Before agreeing to hold onto the snake as long as needed for somebody, I recommend thinking about all the things that can go wrong....and discussing the situation. It's a pain in the butt, but I'd probably want to prepare some sort of agreement to cover the bases.
I thank you for responding. I tried to give ya karma but guess I have given you some not to long ago? Anyways. I really value your opinion and thru the years even on the other forum like what you say & stand for.
I can see now many problems could arise. Now I will have to talk it over with the family. See this just isn't me @ RR but us as a family and will now need their input on all the new poss. problems that may arise.
I had seen and will be adding in new "TOS" on our web site laying out how something like this will happen in the future. With a "No Cash Refunds" unless it is clearly my fault. With credit tword a new purchase.
I thank you again. I clearly will need to talk it over with the family and him and see what will be best for all.

Ted@RR

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!