Good feeding dish?...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
mmfrankford
Good feeding dish?......

OK I'm sure this will be a fairly easy question. But here goes...
I'm getting aggravated by the dishes and lids I'm using to feed the leos. The stupid mealworms are able to crawl out and end up under the paper towels that line the bottom of the cages. So what is the best dish or lid that is obviously shallow enough that the leos can easily eat from and escape proof for the mealworms? What do you use?
Thanks.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Sluefoot26
I use these small dishes that are glazed in color, which makes it hard for mealies to crawl out. I bought them at petsmart, and I've also seen them at Petco. They really dont have a name or company name on them, but they are about 3 inches in Dia. About 3/4" high and are made of ceramic I think. The only colors thatr i've ever seen them in is green, purple, burnt orange, and like a **** yellow?

They only cost something like $1.99 ea. They are the best thing I've found so far, if they were clear they would be perfect!

Old 01-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Bringerofdoom
i use hard plastic condiment cups from walmart for my mealies (in the kitchen section where the knives and stuff are at). 50 cents each and no mealworm can escape it and its low enough for your leo to eat.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
geckogrl6
I have the same problem, esp. cause I usually feed giant mealies. (I only have adults right now) I do use the same green, purple, yellow/amber ones Slue was talking about, but the giant get out really easy. Keeping dust in the bowl seems to slow them down a little.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
Lemur_6
Those small stainless steel doggy bowls work well for supers if you have space in your tank for one (Doggy bowl ). Might want to get some supersculpey and mold a shallower ramp up the side of the bowl so if your gecko is small he can climb up and look into the bowl to see that there's food there.

A largish ash-try with a sloped side will work well too, but most ash trays have the slope the wrong way, but again, some super sculpey can easily fix that.

If you have access to a lathe, you can make your own. Heck you can make your own with a fist full of clay.

-Lemur 6

Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
JohnnyGecko
Those small two-sided plastic food and water dishes for cats work well. The ones that can be found even at the grocery store in the pet isle. Sometimes I even feed supers and they can't even get out. The geckos will still easily find the food and water.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Karmic
The best thing I've found to use is small plant saucers that have been glazed on the inside. I think they are for the 4in pots. I got a whole bunch of them several months ago at Target clearanced for $.50. Regular mealies can't get out of them, but they are still small enough for even young leos to see into. Also petri dishes work well since they are clear and pretty cheap. But you would have to order them from a lab supply. I can get them at work, but they are larger diameter than the plant saucers, so I only use them for small babies.

I use small ceramic cat bowls from the dollar store for supers, but my leos don't really like supers much so I don't feed them very often.

Incidentally, I bought one of those rock-like bowls on a splurge at the pet store a couple of weeks ago. It was small in diameter with decent tall sides, so I thought it would work well and look better. Turns out the inside isn't completely smooth and the mealies were climbing out in one spot.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
mmfrankford
Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
riverjop
I think this is what Mike is refering to.
I use these also and the little clear glass one for water in which I place a small rock so crickets can climb out. (why I am still doing this is a mystery to me, as I havn't had crickets in six months) (knocking myself on the head) (idiot-idiot) OK OK I guess its time I take the little rocks out!!!!!
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!