Info BHB Reptiles - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #31
bullies&balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pecanic View Post
Originally Posted by Brian@BHB
HI,

Of course there is always a chance of something terrible like that happening. I'm not going to lie and say there is no way. It does sound like with those odds something is wrong? Lets talk on the phone and see if there is anything we can do to try to figure this out. I always stand behind my stuff and I will do my best to make it right. Call me anytime this week before Wednesday, I'll be out of town for five days after that on business. Talk soon, Brian

Probably the scariest sentence I've read in recent times...... That sentence swept me off my feet when I saw it. It opens up endless possibilities then! And here is another example.

Why is that ? Especially since this is related to a thread you have been VERY outspoken on. What;s so hard to believe, that a HET x HET breeding ddin't throw visuals ? Happens ALL THE TIME. Now back to THIS thread, they need to do a better job of checking their animals befoer they leave the shop, no doubt. Screaming mite infestation is ridiculous, have YOU been to their shop and looked at the animals. " Their bedding screams mites" Cypress can have WOOD MITES which are HARMLESS to reptiles. Not sure what they have their babies on, so I can't comment.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #32
JColt
I doubt Brian or Lori were the ones to directly package this animal and send out. I also imagine that some one there got a good chewing out. The main thing is they took responsibility for it and made good on it. A mistake was made but they immediately offered a solution. Glad the op was not given the run around.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
tarawr
I'm not saying mistakes DON'T happen, but this isn't the only tale of mites from BHB out there... and I did see this snake in person tonight, along with the OP and another breeder (I was there to get the breeder's thoughts on my own ball tonight and got more of a learning experience from the deal, very thankful for that.)

I do like that he stated the truth, but... well, I hope that this case is handled in a timely manner, compared to the last thread about them. For now, I'm simply on the fence about the company.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #34
micar511
Brian is one of the nicest, most genuine, loyal person in this business. Actually, it is too bad there aren't more out there like him and Lori and BHB all together. Basically, I understand your comments, but I'm sorry you put so much effort into your investigation and even the extra minutes getting on this forum. BHB is one of the good guys in the mayhem of reptile trade. So this story ranks quite low on how bad your experience really was in the scheme of things. I think their actions after you were unhappy about your experience speak for themselves. There was no malice, no ill intention, deceit, screwing over... It actually portrays a positive reflection on how easy and eager they were to fix your issue and put the buyer back in the shoes they were before the transaction.

I'm sure you hear as often as I have the, "oh you wanna hear a story, i got a story for you" speech when the buyer actually is swindled and taken for thousands/hundreds dollars or whatever."

Sorry you feel this way about your transaction with them. Not going to spend anymore time on this though - good luck in the future, take care, speculate, fill in the holes, justify, whatever. Snore.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #35
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies&balls View Post
Why is that ? Especially since this is related to a thread you have been VERY outspoken on. What;s so hard to believe, that a HET x HET breeding ddin't throw visuals ? Happens ALL THE TIME. Now back to THIS thread, they need to do a better job of checking their animals befoer they leave the shop, no doubt. Screaming mite infestation is ridiculous, have YOU been to their shop and looked at the animals. " Their bedding screams mites" Cypress can have WOOD MITES which are HARMLESS to reptiles. Not sure what they have their babies on, so I can't comment.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #36
RJK890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
What i'm saying is it's way easier to legitimately miss the one or two mites you found... It's not like they sent those on purpose. Kink = miscommunication, Mites = probably didnt even notice.
Kink = Very Poor Quality Control, and maybe even intentional Non-Disclosure.

Mites = A problem that can happen to anybody, but is an issue that has been mentioned before about BHB's animals.
It needs to be dealt with, and not continually passed on to others.
(To be fair to BHB, the mites were not noticed until the animal was being packed up to be returned.)

I was not saying that BHB gets a free pass because of how big they are, or because of "how much they have done for the community."
I was just saying that they are pioneers in this industry, and a very public face for the hobby / industry, and it would be a shame to see them go out the way Wysocki did.

I don't think they should get a free pass, but I don't think that they should be run out of town this soon, for hitting a rough patch.
This thread does raise some concerns, but it's not like the BOI is flooded with "BHB Bad Guy" threads either.
Would I purchase animals from BHB at this time ? Nope.

If the Enterprise is not taking in the funds needed to employ enough people to properly maintain the size of the collection he has, and manage not to send out kinked animals that have mites, then he should scale back.

Maybe some BHB fans, or personal friends of Brian's can offer to help him get that place cleaned up and treated for the mite problem, in exchange for a fair value of animals for their service ?
That would help BHB get their facility back in order and mite free, without refinancing the place to make payroll.
It would also help them scale down to a more manageable number of animals for the size staff that can be afforded, or number of quality workers that can be found.
It would also allow a few willing herpers that have more time then money at this time, to pick up some new animals for their collection, and would more then likely be a write off for BHB.

Maybe it's just time to sell, or cull off the lower end animals of each species they keep, or sell out of entire projects / species ?

If they refuse to deal with their issues, or do whatever it is that is necessary to get back on track, then I guess they will continue to have issues, and will eventually go away.
If that is the way it goes down, then I guess it will not be as much of a loss to the hobby as it seems.

I also noticed that they requested the snake be shipped back on Thursday for Friday arrival, and even worse suggested that kinks were strictly from incubation and not genetic. They told her that the animal should have no problem producing.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #37
Kinra
Quote:
Originally Posted by micar511 View Post
Brian is one of the nicest, most genuine, loyal person in this business. Actually, it is too bad there aren't more out there like him and Lori and BHB all together. Basically, I understand your comments, but I'm sorry you put so much effort into your investigation and even the extra minutes getting on this forum. BHB is one of the good guys in the mayhem of reptile trade. So this story ranks quite low on how bad your experience really was in the scheme of things. I think their actions after you were unhappy about your experience speak for themselves. There was no malice, no ill intention, deceit, screwing over... It actually portrays a positive reflection on how easy and eager they were to fix your issue and put the buyer back in the shoes they were before the transaction.

I'm sure you hear as often as I have the, "oh you wanna hear a story, i got a story for you" speech when the buyer actually is swindled and taken for thousands/hundreds dollars or whatever."

Sorry you feel this way about your transaction with them. Not going to spend anymore time on this though - good luck in the future, take care, speculate, fill in the holes, justify, whatever. Snore.
You can say Brian is as good of a guy as you want but he still said this snake would be breedable according to Lori. That alone is frightening to me. This snakes tail is bent at a right angle and while it is possible that she could breed no one should recommend breeding her. I also don't know how he can say for sure that the kink is not genetic. Without genetic testing or breeding you can't prove that.

The fact that I now have to deal with mites hardly counts as me being back in the same shoes I was to begin with. I would also like to point out the my refund has technically not been issued yet, which is understandable given they have not received her back yet. They could issue as soon as they receive her tomorrow or I could have to send numerous e-mails and make phone calls to get them to do it.

Lori has been great in helping me with this so I don't doubt that I will receive my refund fairly quickly, but you can't say I am back where I was to begin with. I didn't want this to be a bad guy thread because of how well and quickly Lori handled my problem, but if people don't post about experiences like this then it's possible there is a pattern being missed here.

This snake was only 74g so it was still very much a baby. I am upset that it has mites because I really don't think there is an excuse for that. I personally on saw 2 mites, but I was not looking for more. Bugs freak me out so I put her in the bag quickly after determining they were mites.

I think they have reached the point where they should take a step back and look at how they are handling quality control. They are a very large breeder but that still doesn't excuse things like this. As a small breeder if I sold a snake that had mites or similar problem and someone came on here and posted about it I don't doubt that I would have a hard time selling even though I would have made the same mistake as BHB. So why is it okay that they make mistakes like this? Does being a big breeder really make it okay to make mistakes like this?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #38
bullies&balls
quick question for the OP. The first pics you showed, are they the pics from BHB ? If so that is cypress mulch. Where the mited black or dark reddish brown ?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #39
Kinra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies&balls View Post
quick question for the OP. The first pics you showed, are they the pics from BHB ? If so that is cypress mulch. Where the mited black or dark reddish brown ?
The first 3 photos are BHB's so I assume she was kept on cypress mulch. The were black and in between the scales on her belly (sorry I don't know the technical name for them). I had another breeder I know helping me set her up for shipping because I've never shipped a snake before and he also said they were mites (snake mites NOT wood mites).

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #40
Mooing Tricycle
If i were an employee of BHB, I would most CERTAINLY tell my bosses " Hey, you guys know this animal we are about to ship out has a GLARINGLY LARGE kink in it right?" Why the heck didnt this happen?? I have a feeling, and maybe i am wrong, that someone working FOR them packaged and shipped this animal. ( I say it this way, because i do not personally know)

Is this simply communication break down between bosses/employees? Rather than intentional/shifty. I really dont feel that a game was played here, i think it is the former. by my logic of being human and knowing it can happen.

If so, That is an issue that needs looking into then, certainly.... and needs immediate action to be taken to prevent this sort of thing in the future. Very very easily solved.

Glad to see that the issue is being resolved, THAT is good at least.

The mites though, get it fixed, and get it fixed pronto.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!