LA Reptiles - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:12 AM   #41
KNOBTAIL
KEN, I can assure you that the reason

I mentioned it was not to consider myself a "bigshot", but rather a fact. I also mentioned that if you were a legit wholesaler you should have no problems.

The difficulties arise because of an "old school methodology" which I happen to adhere to as well. Everyone seems to put to many faces on in this business. Wholesale, retail, jobber, importer, etc. No one knows who is whom. Everyone has a name, whether they are an individual or just a weekend herper at shows.

Chris from LA has based her business on a format that works under a hierarchy. There are importers, wholesalers, jobbers, retailers, individuals. She happens to sell to wholesalers. In order to protect her interests as well as the people who do business with her, she has rules. In todays market if you want to do business with her, your best option and probably your only option would be to do business with LA as a referral. You just can not call her , tell her your a wholesaler and get animals.

Their are people on this site, that I have helped to get into LA Reptiles as a customer. I certainly dont mind providing help if they are a legitimate business. Chris also has other rules. For example, if you do buy from her, she charges you an additonal fee that she sends each month to PJAC. I am sure their are other rules that she lives by and uses in her daily activities.

Just so that we set the record straight. I only know of myself and Tom McDonald who could buy from LA Reptiles and resell the animals if we wanted to . Their may be others, I am not sure. Tom McDonald is no longer advertising on Kingsnake, and I only buy as a collector. Most of my selling days are over. Maybe I should not have even mentioned the fact that I have this ability to get into these import operations, but it was not done with the intention to have people ridicule me because of it.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:47 AM   #42
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by KNOBTAIL
I am probably the only individual on this site that can purchase from Chris or Gene and I know them both very well especially Chris. (since she was seventeen) . They dont need the money, and they dont need new customers, what they apparently need is some order in their life when it comes to doing business with people who claim they are wholesalers in the trade. Thats not an easy thing to do considering everyone seems to be a wholesaler in the trade! Chris is very set in her ways, and she prefers to accept business these days by way of introduction from another wholesaler not by a telephone call. Thats how she protects her clientell from people who are looking for a deal because of her prices.

If you are a legitimate wholesaler, have a place of business like Rob from RK, and would like to do business with LA Reptiles, you should have no problem in getting her fax of livestock availability, but otherwise, dont waste your time or hers, ....she has a good memory, and can be fickle at times. JERRY
I believe that some have misunderstood Jerry's comment. He was stating that he is probably the only individual (non wholesaler) on this site that can purchase from Chris and Gene and not that he was the only person on this site that can purchase from them. As I stated before I am able to purchase from them but choose not to and a few others that are wholesalers purchase from her but not anyone (other than Jerry, and Tom McDonald) that is not a wholesaler.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #43
KNOBTAIL
thanks ROB. I should have been a bit

clearer in my statements.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #44
David R.
Attn: Jerry Tresser

Are you the same "Mr. Jerry Tresser" that once operated "Reptile Collectors, Inc." out of New York? If not then nothing I'm about to say matters, so you can stop reading this at this point. I remember calling them several times attempting to do business with them. I spoke to a person named "Jerry". I provided him with all of the proof that he requested that I was a legit "wholesaler". After serval calls to him and being brushed off, I gave up, as I'm not one to beg anyone to "take" my money! Then, about two weeks later, I had a full page ad come out in a major trade publication, I believe it was "Pet Age" or Pet Business. Then this person, "Jerry", from Reptile Collectors called me out of the blue after seeing my ad and was very, very much wanting to do business with me, as he did not even remember giving me the major "brush off", just a few weeks earlier. I reminded him of how I was treated just a few weeks earlier, I then simply hung up on him!

Mr. Tresser, if you are not the person I spoke with at "Reptile Collectors", then let me say again, I'm sorry. If you are that person then it appears that you have not changed a lot.

Thank you

David Rivers

Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #45
dwedeking
Little on the thin skinned side.

Remember this is a relatively low-level entry industry (meaning it doesn't really take a large amount of money or education to get started in the basics). Wholesalers / distributors get flooded with "newbies" who are going to shake up the industry and show everyone how it's done. Many of these "newbies" don't stand the test of time. It's very hard to pick out which ones are going to last just via one phone call (or even a couple of months of interaction). I know when we first got started we received a lot of lip service from distributors about discounts and "working with us" until we had the start of a track record. You shouldn't let a brush off like that stress you out, there are plenty of other things to do that with a start up .

Old 01-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #46
KNOBTAIL
Mr Rivers, Yes I am or was the owner

of Reptile Collectors Inc. I must apologize because I dont remember you or the conversation as it must have been maybe 25 year ago. I closed the business up in 1980. Regardless, of that, I dont understand what this has to do with this thread?
If you would elaborate I would appreciate it.

What I will tell you is that we only dealt with wholesalers and chain operations. Also please bare in mind that we started our operation in 1964. JERRY

Old 01-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #47
bpc
Info for sale

I'm quite certain I have a number of boxes from LA sitting in my basement which have all their contact info in bright red ink all over the side of them, (man, that's really not smart if they don't want ppl to call them), and since this info is so very,very secretive, and apparently valuable, I have deciced to sell it! The cost is $1000 cash and I will consider trades! Could really use some 6 foot vision cages so I will give special consideration to anyone who has those to trade. And just to keep this info as valuable as possible, I will limit sales to the first 50 people (that's enough to remodel my house and put in a pool anyway).

Ghess people! Get a grip!

Old 01-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #48
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Brian,

Chris and Gene do not mind existing customers calling them but they do not want just anyone calling them trying to get on their list. The only reason you have their contact information is because of you receiving the boxes from L.A. via JP Pets. And just because you have the information does not mean you can order directly from them. Also their boxes do not have their phone numbers on the sides they say LA Reptiles. Their contact informaiton is on the airbills.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #49
E2MacPets
Interesting, I never knew how elite LA Reptiles was. I have their contact info that was given to me by a friend, but never followed up on it. Perhaps after I finish moving I'll look into it some more.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #50
bpc
TOP SECRET !!! Keep this on the down-low!!

Just tried a little experiment. Now, don't try this at home! Mis-use of this information could cause the "Reptile Police" to show up at your door.

But here goes: IF AND ONLY IF you are a qualified reptile wholesaler who has simply misplaced the top secret LA Reptiles phone number, try the following very complicated and time consuming (about 45 seconds!!! whew!) method:

1. Pick up the phone and dial 411. Do this very slowly, as not to mis-dial!

2. When asked "what city and state," state in a clear voice, "Los Angeles, California."

3. When asked "what listing" reply: "L A Reptiles please.*"

*note- the please is not required, but when dealing w/ top secret info such as this, it never hurts. Also, the "L" and the "A" MUST be pronounced separately. Saying "la reptiles" like a lalala song won't work.

4. When writing down the number, which is promptly given to you, be sure to only write it down on paper which will easily dissolve*

*Just in case you have to eat the evidence when the Reptile Police show up!!!!!

And again if you'd perfer to avoid all these top secret operations simply Paypal me and I'll get that number right out to you. For the next 6 people who email, I'll let the info go at the low, low, introductory price of just $499.99. THAT'S LESS THAN HALF PRICE FOLKS!! DON'T WAIT!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!