Collection update; auritas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Bart
Collection update; auritas

A little update on my auritas. These guys are both voracious eaters, especially the bigger one, I'm surprised she hasn't taken a finger off yet lol. When it's feeding day she will go at anything that moves. I'm honestly a little upset with the coloration on these guys, just too much yellow and brown and no really bright colors except for the neon green stripe on the back of the bigger one. Anyway, let me know what you think and enjoy the flix.

Big girl over 3in

And the little guy just over 2in

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
So, I just recently learned about C. aurita being kept by private owners, in captivity. I think they are fascinating. What are they like compared to your other species?

I personally love both your specimens. I am NOT sure why you are disappointed in the colors. Could you possibly explain why?

Can you recommend a good source for C.B. ones?

Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Bart
I honestly haven't seen any auritas for sale recently. But as far as my disappointment I would just prefer more vibrant colors or at least more variation in color between the two. I love dark auritas with bright green stripes.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:09 AM   #4
elena
I could be mistaken, but believe Pat Kline at Luxurious Leopards breeds them. Or maybe that was cornuta. Don't remember.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Bart
Here are a couple videos..
The first is from yesterday and the second is from a month ago.

https://youtu.be/LFQcKnV9ULM

https://youtu.be/ZFwJ_FNQ5J0

Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
MomofDnNnD
Yes, contact Pat Kline at Dart Frog Depot (Luxurious Leopards). He has many species - auritas and cornutas are two of the many.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I honestly haven't seen any auritas for sale recently.
Me either. But, I am not always the brightest crayon in the box/package .

Quote:
But as far as my disappointment I would just prefer more vibrant colors or at least more variation in color between the two. I love dark auritas with bright green stripes.
Thanks for the clarification. I still find your specimens to be extremely handsome/pretty.

On a completely unrelated note, yes, I have more questions, anyway, is it true that the female C. aurita can get up to eight (8) inches in captivity? If not, how large can they become? How large can males of this species actually become in captivity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I could be mistaken, but believe Pat Kline at Luxurious Leopards breeds them. Or maybe that was cornuta. Don't remember.
Is his username/screen name/user handle Snared99? If so, I believe you are partially correct. In that he has both species.

I doubt he breeders them. He seems to deal in mainly W.C. individuals of various species.

What little he has that is truly C.B. is NOT bred by him. He will not "divulge" his sources, well, not me at least.

Quote:
Here are a couple videos..
The first is from yesterday and the second is from a month ago.

https://youtu.be/LFQcKnV9ULM

https://youtu.be/ZFwJ_FNQ5J0
Thanks so much for sharing. Those videos made my night. Thanks again, for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDnNnD View Post
Yes, contact Pat Kline at Dart Frog Depot (Luxurious Leopards). He has many species - auritas and cornutas are two of the many.
Have you actually purchased an animal from him? If so, was it W.C. or C.B.? Also, how long have you had your specimen(s)?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
MomofDnNnD
[quote=Dyscophus antongilii;1999249]Me either. But, I am not always the brightest crayon in the box/package .]

[quote=Is his username/screen name/user handle Snared99? If so, I believe you are partially correct. In that he has both species.

I doubt he breeders them. He seems to deal in mainly W.C. individuals of various species.

What little he has that is truly C.B. is NOT bred by him. He will not "divulge" his sources, well, not me at least.]

Yes, he is snared99. Yes he does sell both species (don't know if currently in stock, but they were when I inquired).

He does breed his own and his auritas are CB. And he posts on FB what is WC and he treats them before selling.

[/QUOTEHave you actually purchased an animal from him? If so, was it W.C. or C.B.? Also, how long have you had your specimen(s)?]

Yes, I have actually purchased from him. Have a CB (by him) strawberry Pacman (a year and a half), I believe a WC or imported, whichever, White's Tree Frog (6 months) and a bearded dragon (9 months).

And he has no issues telling me if they are wild caught or where he got them from. I just know that if they are coming from Pat, they are quality.

I really don't want to speak for him, so I'll alert him to the thread and he can respond if he wants.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
Bart
Don't get me wrong they are very nice looking, the bigger one especially.. Just not the coloration I'm looking for.
As far as 8in in captivity lol, I have never heard of one in captivity being much more than 6in. Though I did hear from a reliable source yrs ago about a preserved field caught specimen that he said looked damn near the sz of an American football.. He said it was every bit of 8-9in if not more. But no I've never seen or heard of captive specimens that large and only that one report of a wild one being that large. As far as the males they, like other horn frogs are diminutive compared to females.. Though there are the exceptions I've seen a 5.5in male but more common around 3-4in.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
[quote=MomofDnNnD;1999364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
Me either. But, I am not always the brightest crayon in the box/package .]
I am GLAD that I can be amusing, at least.

Quote:
He does breed his own and his auritas are CB. And he posts on FB what is WC and he treats them before selling.
I see. I do NOT have a Facebook account. However, if, the account is set to public, then, I would love you to link his Facebook page to this thread.

I would now consider buying a C.B. C. aurita from him. Especially, if, he has bred the froglets himself.

Quote:
Yes, I have actually purchased from him. Have a CB (by him) strawberry Pacman (a year and a half), I believe a WC or imported, whichever, White's Tree Frog (6 months) and a bearded dragon (9 months).
That is great to know. Thank you, for your time and sharing all that information with me.

Quote:
And he has no issues telling me if they are wild caught or where he got them from. I just know that if they are coming from Pat, they are quality.
You are clearly a very satisfied customer. Thanks again, for taking time to post on this thread.

Quote:
I really don't want to speak for him, so I'll alert him to the thread and he can respond if he wants.
I look forward to his response. Thanks so much, again, for all your help and alerting him to this thread.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong they are very nice looking, the bigger one especially.. Just not the coloration I'm looking for.
I completely understand now. I love both your specimens coloration.

Quote:
As far as 8in in captivity lol, I have never heard of one in captivity being much more than 6in.
I have read various sites/articles about females growing to eight inches or more. An example can be seen here: http://thefrogranch.com/animals/brazilian-horned-frog/

But, never saw any evidence of this. Of course, I have never owned any examples of this species. So, I figured it was better to ask you. Since, you have had various specimens of this particular species. So, in my humble opinion, you are an expert on this species.

Quote:
Though I did hear from a reliable source yrs ago about a preserved field caught specimen that he said looked damn near the sz of an American football..
Wow...just wow...that is simply amazing. I would love to see that source.

I would still say six inches for a captive female is quite large, wouldn't you?

Quote:
He said it was every bit of 8-9in if not more. But no I've never seen or heard of captive specimens that large and only that one report of a wild one being that large.
I see. Do you have any idea, if, the wild females are around six inches? Sorry for all the questions.

Quote:
As far as the males they, like other horn frogs are diminutive compared to females.. Though there are the exceptions I've seen a 5.5in male but more common around 3-4in.
Thanks so much for that information. Plus, thank you, for answering all my questions.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!