Sterilization?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Drew1220
Stop! Sterilization??

Ok I got some new rocks for my tank..Some broken pieces of a slab of Slate..I feel these will soak up the hat better then The one my tank came with not only that it looks nicer to me.. So I know I must bake them at 350 degrees tro kills any parasites since they were sitting outside in my friends backyard, but is there any type of solution I must dip them in first??

Just curious

Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Reptileking636
not necessarily, but i would spray them off before you put them in your tank in order to get rid of dirt, but baking them is all you need to do.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
Drew1220
would you say, 350 degrees for an hour?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Reptileking636
actaually, i would soak it in a bleach solution for about 30 minutes and then bake it at about 250 for about 1/2 hour

Old 06-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
some_lizard_guy
I agree with Mike, soak it in 10% bleach and water solution for 10 minutes, then rinse *well* and bake for 1/2 hour at 250* F.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Drew1220
k thanks guys...Im gonna use the 10% bleach solution on my tank and I was told to scrub real good, then put in a plastic bag and leave in sun for a day to kill any parasites that are in it and then scrub it clean with a mild dish soap and clean real good..

Im looking for a new babie right now, was gonna get a high end one but Im gonna get a normal beardie and rearrange my cage and test whether it's my setup or the last ones were just too young, I just dont want to waste money by buying a exspensive one and having that one die on me you know??

again thanks for your help

Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_lizard_guy
I agree with Mike, soak it in 10% bleach and water solution for 10 minutes, then rinse *well* and bake for 1/2 hour at 250* F.
Just don't forget to butter & flour the pan.

Yeah, um I'll humble myself by emphasizing the RINSE WELL part BEFORE you throw it in the oven. Once a convection oven gets a hold of bleach fumes... it's all over. lol.

DOH!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!