Shedding?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Drew1220
Shedding??

Ok I will have had my baby BD's 1 week tomorrow..Theyve improved since the first day Ive had them, adapted pretty well soo far, although last night and today they havent eaten much that ive seen but still seeing poop and pee around tank so Im takeing this as a good sign. Got one of them to munch on some greens tonight, I shredded up some carrots and mustard greens and just stuck in there and moved them both to it and one of them had grabbed a couple of pieces and ate them..SO dont know if there just eating when im not home or what but hopefully they are doing fine, like I said pooping daily,active seem real healthy..

Anyhow I was wondering there about 5 weeks now when will they shed for the first time?? Could this be why they are not eating?? I ask for baby crickets but on occasion theres a crick in there that is still small but bigger then the others so maybe by eating those they just get full faster?

Just curious when they will start shedding...thanks for the info..

And it's bad to leave greens in your tank all day right?? I only leave them in for an hour at most cause once they heat up I dont want my babies eating it just in case it spoils..Also When I feed them around 645 am before I leave for work (There lamps come on at 6am and go off around 7pm right now) should I just leave them be and assume theyll eat or should I keep putting them on the ground then dump some baby cricks in and wait for them to go for them??

I change there paper towels once a day to make sure no cricks are hiding underneath at night..

Let me know if im doing everything good for right now.and about shedding

Old 05-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
some_lizard_guy
I leave my greens in the tanks all day, although towards the end of the day they do shrivel up from the heat. The dragons are reluctant to eat them once they are shriveled, but they still munch on the "crunchy greens" now and then. In my opinion, leaving them in for an hour just isn't enough.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
At 5 weeks of age they should be having shed #2. Mine shed at about 2 weeks and again around 5. Yes, they will slow down eating right before a shed. It sounds as if that is exactly what they are doing.

As for as greens go, I leave mine in all day. I pull them out in the evening and replace with new the next morning. It's good to give babies access to greens throughout the day. So at anytime they get hungry something will be available for them to eat. Of course some fruits and veggies spoil quicker than others. Just have to watch and pull something that spoils quickly.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Drew1220
I didnt feed them this morn cause Im trying to keep them on a schedule..I left for work at 4 am and there light comes on at 6am..so I came home at 1030 on lunch to feed them hoping they would eat because they were prob hungry..So They both were going after cricks..Not sure how many they ate prob 3-5 a piece and I also set a salad in there (Mustard greens/Carrots) I know not to feed them carrots all time but wanted to add some color to there veggies to attract them..so far only one has for sure eaten some greens..Anyhow If they were going to shed again would they still eat as much as they did?? Its hard for me to bath them 2x a day/mist them 3x a day/ and feed them 3x aday during the week cause of work so hopefully feeding them 2x a day, and bathing them once for about 7 minutes each it working. Do they like baths when there about to shed..Cant twll if they might be shedding CAUSE IVE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE..lol What other behaviours should I look for..

Oh ya on a side note.. Brimstone directly after being soaked for 7 minutes and me putting water on his mouth to drink goes straight back to his rock to warm up I gather but lately he has been opening his mouth alot, not fully but partially..this cant be that he's dehydrated is it?? Or is this normal.. I try and get him to drink water but he only does sometimes..Should be getting water from The bath's and the cricks though..

Kinda confused.. So ill keep an eye out for shed..that would be cool if they are..If not Im gonna have to fig out something..maube my schedule isnt good enough for them..They cant be starving cause sometimes they barely eat..

Thanks a bunch

Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
some_lizard_guy
3-5 crickets a day isn't much at all, either they are about to shed, or they are ill, but don't worry yet. You also don't have to bathe them 2x a day, only 1 time every day to every-other day is necessary. Do mist them 3x a day though. As for the shedding: I would tell you that they look paler when they are about to shed, but since you haven't had them that long, it would be hard to tell. Extra bathing does help speed the process along.
-Drew

Old 05-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
Drew1220
Ya I was thinking they mightbe ill..but they are still active as hell?? Run from me when I go to grab them..always moving around in tank..So doesnt seem that way, hopefully there getting ready to shed..Still new poops everydays..So everything seems good..

What about the mouth thing I mentioned that Brimstone does?? is that normal..

Heres to hoping my babies shed

Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Rebel Dragons
I don't have a lot of time at this moment to post a long answer but the number 1 thing I want to address is the mouth being open. It's called mouth gaping, and it a sign of overheating. Check your temps!!!

Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Drew1220
See IO thought my temps may have been high cause I swictehed too a new bulb that puts out more lightbut they only had a 75w one and a 50w bulb..since I was already running a 60w bulb I figured it needed to be a bit warmer so I got the 75w.. Anyhow I watched them close for first couple of days to make sure it wasnt getting too hot to where they were showing signs of dehydration but they have been fine..The cool side of tank is anywhere from 85-91 during day and gets down to 67-71 at night and basking side gets about 105, possibly hotter..Ill have to go get the same bulb but in 50w I guess..

They seem more active with the new bulb though..and if they get too hot they have a water bowl and the cool side of tank, wont they just move.. I read babies need it warmewr then adults

Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #9
some_lizard_guy
I agree with Mike. In an earlier thread you said you were using a stick-on strip to measure the temps. Did you go and get the digital thermometer with a probe as I suggested or are you still using the strip? The strips can be off by as much as 20*F!!! Get the digital ASAP! Use it to make sure the basking spot is between 95* and 105*F. If the basking spot is above 105*F then that is likely the cause of the gaping.
-Drew

Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Drew1220
There sleepign right now but I will take pics tomorrow and you guys can evaluate if they look like there going into shed..

its weird first 2 days I had them they slept together in there tree..now they sleep on opposite sides of tank..one in tree and one on branch under heat lamp..lol how sad they dont like each other..j/k

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!