Baby Beardie eyes closed !! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
gemdreamer
Baby Beardie eyes closed !!

I just bought a batch of babies and today I noticed one baby who has his eyes closed, I didnt notice it yesterday. But today when I came home from work I seen him and sprayed him down and I thought that it would make him open his eyes, but it didnt.

So what is the cause and how do I fix it? Temps are ok He has a reptisun 5.0 UVB. They have been eating small crickets and some mixed greens with pellets.

This is the first time I have seen this happen.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Shari

Old 06-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Drew1220
Im still fairly new to this as well I only bought my babies about 3 weeks ago but I have studied and talked to alot of people, sounds to me like your babie might be sleeping... From what I understand they are very deep sleepers... Then again your babie could be ill..

What are your temps? How old are babies? Has the one in question been eating?? Just a further insight to your conditions might help others diagnose a symptom..

Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
gemdreamer
well the temps are appropriate, they are in my Reptile room outside. (we built a special room or addtion to our house.

Anyhow, they are 2 -3 weeks old and as far as I know they are healthy or have been, I work full time and me and my mom are in business together and she takes care of the animals in the day time. I guess I should just seperate it to monitor it better, I believe they have been eating well.

It could be sleeping, although I have about 12 adult dragons and I have never seen them sleep in this deep sleep as you have mentioned and other babies I have purchased have never done this.

I guess, I will continue research and monitoring the little fellow and if anyone has suggestions or knowledge, please let me know.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
some_lizard_guy
What is "appropriate"? Beardies need a basking temp around 105*-115*F... TELL US YOUR TEMPS!!! Don't just say they are "ok" or "appropriate"... Also, how well is "eating well"? Babies tend to eat 30-50 *small* crickets a day... You should *definitely* seperate the baby you are concerned about...
-Drew

Old 06-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
some_lizard_guy
I forgot to ask what you are using to measure the temps, be sure it is either a digital thermometer with a probe or a tempgun, NOT a "reptile" strip or dial thermometer...

Old 06-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
gemdreamer
I didnt mean to flare anyone up by just saying "appropriate", as soon as I get home I will double check the temps in their cage. BTW I do have a digital thermometer.

Sometimes on forums people tend to get really defensive, when it come to other people asking for assistance. I did not intend to not answer questions being asked.

Also, as far as eating well, as I had said during the day my mother attends to the animals as I have a full time job, along with my pet business, so I will ask her how many crickets they are eating.

As I said "eating well" meaning they are eating the amount of crickets most babies eat "30 to 50" crickets a day. I am not new to raising and breeding, it is just that I have never encountered this problem with babies.

I have seperated this babie from the other ones, I just purchased these guys and received them on Wednesday. So please don't attack me, as I am here to help and not destroy this animal.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
Ocean
I agree, you should seperate the baby with the closed eyes, just to be safe. With the baby being alone, you will be able to have a very accurate look at how it is eating, pooping, etc. You did not say if the baby is alert and active, so I will assume it is.
I have only heard of a similar problem with baby beardy eyes once before. That time, it was caused by the babies getting some of the substrate in it's eyes. It was then found out that the person was keeping the babies on coral sand, that is used for aquariums. Most of the babies returned to normal, after isolating them, giving them TLC and monitoring, and frequent flushing of the eyes themselves. You can flush a baby's eyes with normal saline, which is available at pharmacies (for people).
I would be happy to help in anyway I can.
Ocean

Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #8
gemdreamer
Well these guys right now are being kept on paper towls as I do not like sand. Tonight when I got home I checked the temps and they were ranging from 95 to 107 on the basking spot, and in the high 80s to 90s on the cool side.

We have been soaking him, hoping that would help. tonight It looked like his eye had some sleep type substance on the outside of his eyes. Im not sure what this was almost like when you wake up in the morning and you have that crusty stuff on the corner of your eyes.

As far as how he is doing with eating and defecating I will not know until tomarrow. He is healthy looking with weight on him, he is not skinny or sickly looking.

I have this ointment that I got when my Chameleon's eye was closed, I cannot remember the name of it, but I have used it on other reptiles and it seems to work well. I will check the name out and see if anyone thinks this may help.

Oh ya you asked if he was active or alert, not really I mean he moves around but not like the other ones.

I will also contact the seller and ask her about it, its possibly that I just received it this way. All the other babies are very healthy and chasing crickets around and drinking the water off everything. I spray them approx. 4 times a day, plus they have access to water all the time. I also put a mixture of greens and veggies, just in case they will eat it and it seems like some are starting to, they also get pellets..

Anyhow thanks for any advice you have given. We will continue to monitor the little guy. I also will try the saline flushing of the eyes.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
Ocean
First of all, I wanted to make it clear that I truly think you are doing a great job with the little guy, and this is in no way your fault, as it sounds like the baby came this way. I breed beardies on a small scale, and I think paper towels are great for babies too. I am a nurse, and we think that saline is good for almost anything, lol, and it certainly can not hurt. The crust you describe could certainly be an indicator of some infection of the eye..........if you used a type of ointment for your Chameleons and it worked, I think there is a very good chance it would help your baby. (I personally prefer to go with things that have worked for me in the past if I can). If you can keep a Chameleon healthy, I am sure you are more than able to take care of this beardy....keep up the good work and good luck!

Old 06-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
some_lizard_guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemdreamer
I didnt mean to flare anyone up by just saying "appropriate"...
...Sometimes on forums people tend to get really defensive, when it come to other people asking for assistance.
Sorry, I didn't intend to sound rude. I just wanted to make sure everything was fine in terms of husbandry in order to help you get to the bottom of this...
Sorry I offended you
-Drew

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!