Whats everyone think!!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Drew1220
Whats everyone think!!?

Hello again after a long while away from here looks like ill be back..

I havent bought any new babies yet, im getting two from Snakesmith..I assume most have seen his ads..

However I know of a friend that is getting rid of his female beardie..now he cant recall her age but he says she's pretty old..like probably around 7 yrs but he cant be sure..

Now she's not proven, so how long before they can no longer breed??

Also he's giving me her in a 4' wide 2' deep tank..only problem with tank other then being old is it's cracked on bottom so until I can afford to get a new 60 gal. it will have to do..

I just wondering if theres anything special I need to know.. I got temps (90-100 basking for adults) Ill feed her every day dusting her greens/cricks twice a week.. and im putting her on sifted playsand..other then that I just want to give her a good home.. I will be keeping her at work because I have no room for a tnak that size until I get into my own place in Oct, but I cant let her just sit in the conditions she's in currently..

She seems healthy, hard to tell true color since she was pretty dark when I looked at her, my guess was because her heat lamp had burned out a couple weeks prior and she is retaining heat, on top of this he has her in garage..no light at all..But he has obviously manage to do things right cause she seems happy and he's had her since she was a babie, only one to survive out of clutch..

So any suggestions for adults..my knowledge is more focused on the babies right now but adults should be easier I think..

Thanks

Old 07-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #2
Matt Haines
She hasn't had a heat lamp for over 2 weeks?!? I don't call that "doing it right" but more along the lines of lucky. It doesn't leave much speculation for me to figure out why she was the only survivor of the clutch. If she has no source of heat how is she expected to digest her food without it just rotting in her stomach?

I feed my adults chopped greens, rep-cal adult bearded pellets, and dust with veggie maintenance. I also offer crickets that are dusted with rep-cal about every other day of the week.. I bathe them at least once a week so they can drink and stay hydrated. My basking spot is around 107 and the cool side is 85.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Drew1220
thanks for the info..

Ya I know not having a heat lamp on her is a bad thing but he's a real good guy. I knwo he wouldnt just have mis handled a pet for this whole time.. Although im not condoning him not replacing bulb, he's been trying to get rid of her cause he needs the space so..

Old 07-04-2005, 02:36 AM   #4
Matt Haines
Not saying he is a bad guy per se. I just think it was a little irresponsible for him not to replace the bulb as it is a neccesity.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Rebel Dragons
At 7 years of age she is well past her prime. Get the notion of breeding her out of your head now. It will never happen. Most dragons start dropping breeding rates at the age of 4 and are pretty much done by the time they are approaching 6. 7 years of age is a senior citizen and should be treated as such.

2 weeks without a heat lamp is nothing major. She will be fine.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Borewyrm
As far as the cracked bottom of the tank goes. Go to home depot ( or any similar store) And buy 8 vinal tiles. They come in many styles that look like rock or sand. Also they are self adhesive, are super easy to keep clean, transfer heat from a UTH ( I am a leo keeper so I dont use spots), and are only .50 -1.00 U.S. dollars each. They come in 1 square foot sections. You could concievable put in sheet vinal or piece of plexi, but the sheet would start to curl and the plexi is expensive.

The reason I mention this is because in a 60 gallon tank even an inch of sand is going to weaigh quite a bit. With a cracked bottom this could be dangerous.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Drew1220
good tip..ill look into that Bore..thanks

Ya Im not planning on bredding her anymore just was curious, last thing I want to do is hurt her in anyway..Im glad just to give her a good home!!

Strill waiting to pick her up for my truck is out of commission temp. but will pick her up soon..Pics to follow

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!