dragon pellets good or bad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
reptiler13
Question dragon pellets good or bad?

hello this is my first time posting on the dragon forum, we just got a dragon i did a lot of research made sure he had everything he needed, but i could not find any info on bearded dragon food it comes in small pellets. my question is how many people use this, is it safe, can it be used as a replacement for veggies, they make it sound so great.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Matt Haines
I use it for my dragons. I use the rep-cal pellets as mine seem to like them. They are actually made to be a complete diet for them but I substitute them on top of the lettuce and still feed crickets.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
rujonesin
I use the Rep-Cal pellets. In my opinion they are better than the other name brands. If nothing else they just smell better. They are designed to be a complete food. I know people who feed nothing but pellets and their dragons do okay. I don't reccomend this as I think their first 18 months they need as much protein as possible. While the juvie pellets contain higher amounts of protein I don't think many would argue that most dragons will eat more crickets than pellets. I feed salads in th AM pellets mid-day and crickets or silkies in the evening. Variety is always best. Pellets are an excellent food source but feed young dragons as much protein as possible. Variety is also the key to making your dragons less picky eaters.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
The Reptile House
I also use the Rep-cal pellets my dragons would not go near the other brands and they love it, they also smell great! I do not use it as their only food mine still get the vegies and crickets and worms as well. The only down side to the pellets is it makes their poop green, that is normal with these pellets so no wories. I would not just use the pellets if it is me I would still give them their variety. Shanell

Old 07-10-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
reptiler13
thanks for replies it, i wanted to make sure that they are OK, i will still continue to give him crickets and veggies. i do have one more question they said at the pet store that there nails need to be cut, if so what do you use and how do you do it. thanks again for your help

Old 07-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
The Reptile House
I have never cut my dragons nails due to how many climbing branches they have in there with them, mine usually file them down by themselves, however I have seen some pretty nastly long nails on some dragons that if they were mine I would cut them down. I if I had to would use dog clippers but you have to be so very carefull not to cut the vein inside their nails. If you have never cut a cats or dogs nails I would take your dragon to a vet to maybe have it done to be on the safe side. Any more questions just ask away! Shanell
You may always e-mail me directly at mysnakehouse@aol.com with any questions any time

Old 07-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Matt Haines
Just make sure not to cut the kwik(if that is the correct spelling). Cat nail clippers should suffice. A note on the pellets.....I wish Monster Diet would hurry up with their juvenile bearded dragon pellets already.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #8
Reptileking636
i trim my dragons nails all the time and its really easy, you just cut the black tip pretty close to the white part. If i had more time i would go into better details. Also, i use regular nail clippers.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
Rebel Dragons
I use rep-cal pellets personally and just soak them and serve them on top of salads. I would never use them as a complete replacement for anything else. Although they smell like tutti fruities MMmmmmmmmmmmm

As far as nail trimmin, I do that rarely. Only when a dragons nails get really long or when a female is about to lay eggs. I use regular nail clippers and clip off just the tip about 1/16th of an inch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!