Advice on Sub Adult Leucistic not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
TheDrew1
Advice on Sub Adult Leucistic not eating

i purchased a sub adult pair of leucistics from Kevin at Dragons Den a couple of weeks ago and the male seems to be settling in fine but the female still seems very fearful of everything. They are both already bigger than 14 inches and only 4 months. She was housed with the male (dont worry they are only 4 months old and it was only temporary) and now i separated them so i could monitor her food consumption and defecation. I have had them now for a week and a half. At first it was the male that seemed to not settle in and feel comfortable, because the female was eating more than him. But now i cant really get him to stop eating and i cant get her to eat. The basking temps range from 103 to 114 throughout the day (read by a digital thermometer) and the coolside is usually below 85. In the morning i offer them Kale, collards, and shredded carrots (neither of them never have any interest). THen at about noon on i offer them dusted superworms. The female shows no interest. She seems kind of underweight too, i dont see ribs or anything its just that the skin on her back is very loose. She also seems very scared all the time. Shes always hiding under her log or curled in the corner on the hot side. Any suggestions on getting her to eat and feel comfortable. Please help because i am very worried about her.

Thank you very much
TheDrew1

Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
TheDrew1
i forgot to ad, all cages are 4x2x2. I probably forgot some other things but there you go.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Rebel Dragons
First thing I would do is call Kevin and discuss this with him. He cares for each and everyone of his dragons and is always available for taking a call concerning issues with them.

Follow his advice and see what happens. If nothing comes of that let us know and we will chip and see if anything we may suggest will help out.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
Tere Salazar
Loose Skin

I have also purchased dragons from Kevin at Dragon's Den. He was very informative whenever I contacted him with any question I may have had. I would contact him with your concerns. But in the meantime...

If the skin on the back is loose, they are most likely dehydrated. Try soaking both of them in a lukewarm bath for 15 minutes or so. Drip water on the tip of thier noses to encourage them to drink. I know my beardies won't eat if they are dehydrated.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 AM   #5
TheDrew1
ya ive been thinking about calling him but whenever i get around to it its usually too late. And ya i have been soaking them every other day and she is drinking.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
Tere Salazar
One more thing

I just saw where you wrote that she acts like she's scared...which she very well may be. Try taping paper to the outside of her tank for a few days and see if that helps her calm down some. Even though you separated her and the male, if she can see him, he can still stress her out. During the time you have the tank papered, only interact with her to feed her.

Also, you didn't say if she was maybe going into a shed. The majority of my dragons either won't eat at all or eat very little if they are getting ready to shed. They don't like to be picked up and can be just generally in a bad mood.

Number one thing...if one thing isn't working...try something different. Every beardie is different and what works for one dragon may not work for another.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
starwarsdad
I would back off on the Kale and carrots. Kale is high in oxalates and vitamin A. Carrots are also high in vitamin A.

Oxalates can cause calcium binding which will not allow your dragons to absorb and metabolize calcium. Too much vitamin A can be toxic to dragons.

A good base for a dragon salad is to use collard, mustard, turnip, or dandelion greens (I usually use 2 of the above for a week or 2 then switch up). Mango is a good fruit for them.

Here is a chart of nutritional content for various foods:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eholachapulin/Nutrition.html

Old 07-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
some_lizard_guy
Variety definitely helps in the diet. One way I use to add variation in the diet is with the cricketfood.com salad topper. It is a powder you put on top of the salad which provides more variety and includes very healthy ingredients. The animals generally love it. Here is a link to the page it is on: salad topper
-Drew

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!