POLL: About the snake that died in shipping... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
Arboreals of the Rainforest
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't it common practice to provide the seller with a pic of the dead animal when requesting a refund?</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Absolutely, especially since you requested it in the beginning. spam_Or sending it back for a necropsy. spam_Which is what I do or no refund. spam_To many crooks and shiesters out there these days.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just hate to be a sucker.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>Remember this, there is one born every minute. spam_Dont be that one.

Get proof before ANY money is exchanged.

That being said, you really need to get some sort of terms and conditions in writing on every transaction. &nbsp;This could be emailed and clear alot of this newby stuff up for you in the future. &nbsp;You have to protect yourself from crooks. &nbsp;It stinks but its true.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:34 PM   #12
ajc
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (napavalleysnakes @ Sep. 06 2002,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anthony - My reply would be that since you have already informed the customer that you will refund the money then honor it. spam_There is the possibility you are being played, but after reading your original thread I think it is unlikely. spam_My next suggestion is that you add to your terms something about the guarantees (arrival, DOA responses, etc.). spam_Hopefully you won't have to cross this bridge again..

Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Stephen,

I did say that I'd replace it ONLY if FedEx would honor the claim, like the guy said they would.

Is that the only reason you think I should refund him? &nbsp;Just curious.

I think that I probably will refund it, if anything, just so I don't feel bad about it later...but I just want to feel good about my decision all the way around.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:41 PM   #13
royalpropagation
Its a very tuff call on your part Anthony, But common practice is for the customer to provide proof of the dead animal. &nbsp;If you are sure in your mind that it did arrived dead then there should be no problem. &nbsp;But if you dont really know this person, they could just be saying that just because the animal arrived late and are trying to take advantage of you. &nbsp;Like I said before, my policy is they send the dead animal back to me within 48 hours of them recieving it. &nbsp;Let me know how you make out bro.

Sam Craver

Old 09-06-2002, 04:45 PM   #14
Greg Riso
I'm the one who suggested you get pics in your original thread as proof of the animal's demise. I recommended it to you the same day hoping they wouldn't throw the snake away. When I have a doa I immediately contact the sender and take pics as well as freeze the animal afterwards. Remember, the conditions were ripe for you to be taken because you immediately assumed the animal was dead due to the heat and late arrival. I personally would not refund without proof because no matter how honest you think these people are unfortunately there are scammers out there who take advantage of situations. Expecting them to send the snake back is a bit much but pictures should have been the least they could have done.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:52 PM   #15
Jay
you say they own a pet shop and that makes their word good,but being in a buisness,they should know not to throw the snake away.ask them if someone buys a pet from them and simply calls with a doa claim,if they are just going to issue a refund,on their costomers word-I highly doubt it!!!
tough call man!!!!! &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Jason KIper

Old 09-06-2002, 05:02 PM   #16
ajc
I think they should have known to take pictures, but then again, I waited several hours before actually telling them to take pics. &nbsp;

Do you guys think that it would be fair to offer half? &nbsp;I'm just having a hard time pinning this all on them....telling them "Tough crap. &nbsp;You're screwed. &nbsp;You should've known better."

Old 09-06-2002, 05:04 PM   #17
Casey Hulse
If you said you would give them a refund if fed-ex honored the claim, then they may have assumed that you trusted them, so they tossed the snake. Why would they keep it? You should have asked for proof, before you said you would issue a refund. When you said you would issue a refund, and did not specifically say "send me proof" then you implied that no proof was needed. As a customer, I would never dispose of an animal until I talked to the shipper, which they did .

Old 09-06-2002, 05:12 PM   #18
Rob @ RK Reptiles
My terms clearly state </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Live arrival is guaranteed if picked up within 4 hours of arrival. I must be notified of any D.O.A. and proof may be required.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'> I personally never throw any d.o.a. I receive until I have discussed it with the shipper first. Then I still keep them in my freezer for a while until a person I know picks up all the dead bodies for zoo/University necropsy for educational purposes. spam_You made it sound to them as they would not have to keep the body when you told them you would issue a refund. Unfortunately that let them of the hook of having to keep the body for verification. I would issue the full refund if I were you and just change your terms to reflect the proof requirement in the future.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:20 PM   #19
ajc
Yep...that's kinda what I'm thinking. &nbsp;They may have scammed me, but it was my bad for not asking for proof immediately. &nbsp;

I'll just give them the money back and chalk it up as a lesson learned. &nbsp;I've been keeping snakes for ten years, but this shipping stuff is fairly new to me. &nbsp;Oh well, you live and you learn.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:24 PM   #20
napavalleysnakes
Anthony - I believe that even if you don't receive compensation from Fed-Ex, you need to refund the money.
My reasoning is this:
1) You replied you would
2) If you are building a name in the business, this is a really good way to start off. spam_Think of this customer, this board, and those who read/hear from either. spam_What will they say if you don't replace the animal ? spam_What will they say if you do ?
I know what my response is. spam_To have repeat customers you need to keep them satisfied. spam_There are some pretty shady sorts out there, but being an optimist, I think they are in the minority.
3) For your own peace of mind. spam_You will never know if they took you or not for the animal, but at the same time, you will know that you rectified the situation to the best of your ability.

Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!