Hotmail accounts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
texasnewbie
Hotmail accounts

I have been reading on another thread that hotmail accounts can be seen as a bad 'sign'. I've never thought of it before and I don't think twice about using my hotmail account to correspond with people about sales etc. It was just easier to use hotmail when I was in the process of moving here from England.

I presume that a better email account is one from your provider, so I have now opened one with Cableone (our provider) is Cableone 'acceptable'?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
DAND
I have had and used a Hotmail account for a number of years. It was a lot easier than informing everyone of my e-mail address change the three or four times I have changed ISP's over the last ten years or so.

Granted the "feeebie" sites can be used by anyone and proof of identity is not needed which can be utilized by those undesirables who wish to not be known.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I have had and used a Hotmail account for a number of years. It was a lot easier than informing everyone of my e-mail address change the three or four times I have changed ISP's over the last ten years or so.
Same here, it has been perfect for moving to the States and not having to change everything from UK to US.
It hadn't crossed my mind before that it can be seen as a 'warning sign'.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
SPJ
People are skeptical because there is no way to trace the email back to the person. You can stay anonymous using a yahoo or hotmail email address.

These email addys are the ones that scammers use.

Since they are so widely used by people trying to rip you off, anyone with that type of email throws up a red flag.

You can be the most trustworthy person in the world but if no one has heard of you, and you use a generic email address, it looks like the same type of ad that a scammer runs.

They are also used by people who want to continue ripping off buyers after they have been exposed since they just change the name on the hotmail account and set up a new "identity" to rip off others.

Don't take it personnally. It's just that there are a LOT of undesireable people that use yahoo and hotmail accounts so everyone that has one gets scrutinized.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
People are skeptical because there is no way to trace the email back to the person. You can stay anonymous using a yahoo or hotmail email address.

These email addys are the ones that scammers use.

Since they are so widely used by people trying to rip you off, anyone with that type of email throws up a red flag.

You can be the most trustworthy person in the world but if no one has heard of you, and you use a generic email address, it looks like the same type of ad that a scammer runs.

They are also used by people who want to continue ripping off buyers after they have been exposed since they just change the name on the hotmail account and set up a new "identity" to rip off others.

Don't take it personnally. It's just that there are a LOT of undesireable people that use yahoo and hotmail accounts so everyone that has one gets scrutinized.
So is Cableone an exceptable alternative, as they are our internet provider?
Hotmail is convenient but first impressions count.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
WebSlave
Some websites will actually block ALL hotmail and other freemail type email addresses just to cut down spam and other abuses. It would probably cut down on 90 percent or better of the anonymous aliases registering here.

Some vendors I have done business with will not even respond to queries from hotmail accounts at all.

So it does have it's risks of NOT being taken seriously.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
texasnewbie
Thanks Rich. It had honestly never crossed my mind before but I can actually see the reasoning behind it being an issue.

I have never paid any attention to the email addresses of people emailing me and luckily all the scammers have emailed me with the typical "I saw your ad, I will send you a cheque over the amount and my shipper will pick up the extra etc etc" emails.

I have set up an account with my internet provider now I learn something new everyday on here.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
SPJ
Perfectly acceptable. It's traceable to who you really are.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Perfectly acceptable. It's traceable to who you really are.
Thanks for the help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!