Stripe leo genetics... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Crestedleo
Question Stripe leo genetics...

I have heard that if you breed stripe+normal(or whatever) that you could get hets for stripes or no strpies at all because thay are not genetic? How would/could you tell if it is genetic or not? Thanks in advance,

Grant Dvorak

Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
robin d.
know what line your stripe comes from or breed it to a normal and then breed the babies back to each other, if you get stripe volia if not chances are the strain your are working with isnt genetic... but alot of times when working with het and especially double hets it might take one or two seasons of breedings to come to your conclusion

Old 12-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Crestedleo
Thanks Robin.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
MatthewK
Robin, where did your stripe line crop up? They seem to be more bold then the genetic stripes I am working with from JMG. I know the stripes I got from Kelli are your blood, but they arent as bold. I wonder if the bold stripes I got from Masterpiece are genetic... Will give charles a call tonight.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Dan Lubinsky
The Masterpiece bolds are genetic and seem to be strong (dominant?) when bred to my other stripes. They seem to clean up the stripes that develop speckling in between the stripes.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Crestedleo
That makes me think...

If you had a line with lots of speckels, you could probably, after some generations breed the spots all the way out and have "pure" stripes with no spots.?- Its only a theory though.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:13 PM   #7
beakgeek
We got stripes from Monte's Tiger's. What is really cool is a female lavender crossed with a high yellow male threw one of our best stripe females.

I'll have to post some updated images - the girls are looking so good!

Thanks Monte!

Regards,

Terry

Old 12-02-2004, 02:50 AM   #8
robin d.
i got them both from tribal propogation (no longer in business) i believe the male to be a tremper line stripe maybe not directly from him but his line before he said it wasnt recessive the female came from the golden gecko (which is no longer in business). moms and pops make the best babies. i bred my male to one of her daughters and while the babies were very bold i got alot more jungle in the patterns making me think the super form of a stripe is a jungle however thats just something i assume. now when i breed moms and pops i get 100% striped gerckos.. when i bred pops to Eenie (his daughter) i got stripes and jungles HOWEVER durring the summer i lost over 20 eggs from bold stripe and red stripes due to the damn electric company working on the lines on a hot night and by the time we got home the male incubator was at 96 and the female at 90....... so i had very few stripes hatch out this year.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Thumbs up i lean towards ......

some form of inheritance (linebred/polygenic)...not recessive . and i believe ALL of the true-stripe lines act somewhat like a genetic line ....just like the red in red -stripe or tang. in tangerines displays itself when these types are bred together and all originate from the same tremper-designer lines ! BUT ....of course many more years of test-breeding by us skeptics /believers is needed ....... and only IMO

Old 12-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #10
chondrokeeper
line breeding and polygenic traits are not one in the same. Line breeding or INBREEDING is the process in which you INBREED related animals or animals expressing a desired trait to eventually reproduce the desired trait, i.e., tangerines. This can be done with even simple recessives (Mendelian traits, look it up).

polygenic is multiple genes controlling 1 overall effect. Like birth weight in humans, or height. And in many cases, environmental factors come into play with the expression of polygenic traits. For example...eat healthy, exercise, etc one should (in theory) reach or come close to reaching their ultimate height. Don't eat, become malnurished and growth tends to suffer, even if both of your parents are 6 ft 9 inches tall.

Now as for your question CrestedLeo...

to simply test if a trait is genetic all you have to do is a test cross. In this case it's a striped leo. To test this trait's genetic integrity this is what you'd do:

Obtain a male striped animal. Breed it to a normal. This will create "hets" (I use quotes as you are testing the genetic basis and do not know if this trait is a Mendelian Trait [one gene controls the expressed trait]).

Take these F<sub>1</sub> (First filial generation) "hets" and breed them back to the striped male. If the trait is a Mendelian trait, then you would expect a 1:1 ratio of normals (not proven hets):striped offspring.

I can also tell you this much. I've done this and it does prove out. That is, at least with the striped leo from Ron Tremper.

I must now leave for Evolution class. Enjoy!

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!