Looking for a Small Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Night10gail
Looking for a Small Snake

I'm thinking of adding a snake to my collection that will stay small (4- feet as an adult). I got a 10gal Faunarium flat cage I'm looking to fill. I was thinking maybe a hognose snake or a garter snake since they are more active during the day than your average snake. Was also considering an African House Snake as the golden orange yellow shade on the albinos is quite lovely in contrast to the average albino reptile's yellow color. Any one suggest any of the above species? If you have them, just how active are they and when are they most active? Anyone with any other species to suggest? Not interested in Rosy or sand boas at this time.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
bcr229
I have both a hognose and garter snake in my collection. Of the two I prefer the hognose, he's more tolerant of being handled. Both hide quite a bit but they're relatively young yet, under two years old.

You may also want to look into Savu pythons. A male will top out around four feet.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
toddnbecka
Children's python or a related species would top out around 3'. Garter snakes are active, but not the best for handling in general.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Aes_Sidhe
House snake if You get Male will stay around 2 foot.. great little snake to watch with viper like eyes and Killing prey with full constriction like pythons !!!

Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
Night10gail
Rafal I see you really like your house snakes. I am considering the species and love the albinos with lots of spots because they remind me of miniature albino Burmese.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Zincubus
Garter snakes are fabulous ... Loads of colours , small , eat mice / fish or earthworms ..... what's not to like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
SheffieldReptiles
Not sure if you ever found anything to fill your tank up. But a garter snake would go great in that size of tank to start out with. And contrary to what others are saying, a CBB female garter snake is as tame as any other snake that you will find. However, males are going to be a little flighty compared to the females.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
rare jewels
I wish I could find a ��. I had a dream that I hognose �� and got bit by it, and I knew it wasn't that big of a deal because their venom isn't exactly lethal. I know they like to eat toads just like we like to eat �� or burgers, and there are plenty of toads near where I live and lizards too. Every once in awhile, we'll get a lizard in the house; and I'll hurry up and catch it and let it go outside or something. They're not the most attractive snakes in the world, but I suppose it'd be cool to have one.
Take care and God bless

Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarejewels View Post
I wish I could find a ��. I had a dream that I hognose �� and got bit by it, and I knew it wasn't that big of a deal because their venom isn't exactly lethal. I know they like to eat toads just like we like to eat �� or burgers, and there are plenty of toads near where I live and lizards too. Every once in awhile, we'll get a lizard in the house; and I'll hurry up and catch it and let it go outside or something. They're not the most attractive snakes in the world, but I suppose it'd be cool to have one.
Take care and God bless
Personally, I'd skip keeping an Eastern hognose snake (the ones that primarily eat toads), because even if you have toads where you live, can you actually find a regular supply to get a snake thru all seasons of the year? Please consider that before catching or buying a snake that requires uncommon prey items.

As for their venom, while it's mild & mostly effective on their prey, there are some people who've shown greater sensitivity to it. I've only kept c/b Western hognose snakes before & they were raised on fuzzy mice. ("Burgers" are never appropriate snake food, very high fat content and likely to contain hormones that could be harmful to small snakes as well, not at all like their "normal" food.)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
rare jewels
Well if their venom is no more potent than the average bee sting, I know I could handle it because I have been stung a few times. Even if I couldn't find a toad every week, I'd go to the pet store and buy a mouse on weeks I couldn't. I got a snake book last week, and the hognose snake in the picture looked pretty neat.
Take care and God bless

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!