Hawk at the bedroom window - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
WebSlave
Hawk at the bedroom window

Spotted this guy yesterday outside the bedroom window, near the bird feeders. Hope he is looking for squirrels instead of the cardinals and other birds that feed there.

Sorry about the shaky video. I do have image stabilization on, but the combination of the long lens and my shaky hands, and not being able to get into a position to brace the camera isn't producing results as nice as I would like. But I felt lucky to even get the shot, as I am certain the hawk was watching me as I got as close to the window as I dared to.

Video taken with the Sony RX10 Mark IV in 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKuWhr83eg

Old 11-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Insomniac101
Very cool!

Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
WebSlave
Took a couple of photos besides the video.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
EdwardK
Looks like a young of the year broad winged hawk, much more likely to go after rodents, and other small terrestrial vertebrates than birds.

Ed

Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 AM   #5
WebSlave
Beats me. I have no idea what sort of hawk it is. I looked at pics online, and the red shouldered hawk looks real close, but I really don't know. I guess I could always "Audubon" it with bird shot in the 12 gauge if I really REALLY needed to look at it closer. JUST KIDDING!!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
EdwardK
laughs

If it shows up again look for black and white bands on the tail. That is a key for telling it from a red shouldered. In the first "exttra" photos you can sort of see some of the potential banding that might be on the tail. Young of the year broad wings are known to overwinter in Florida so its not an uncommon species for there. Red shoulders are often mistaken for broad wings and vice versa so I could be in error.

Ed

Old 11-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
MR_Jungle_Mist
So pretty, right? Wife and I are dorks. We count hawks as we're driving in the fall/winter, especially as we're driving to KC or STL. We'll hit over a 100 most trips. But we get lost in our counting ("is that 45 or 46? wait, which one are we looking for?").

Dorks: we got a clicker counter thing last week to make sure we stay on count. bahahaha

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
WebSlave
We actually derive quite a bit of enjoyment from the wildlife we can see just from our bedroom windows. In hindsight I wish we had put in large bay windows when we had the house built.

It helps that we are clearing out the bush close to the house so we can see further into the woods. Of course, the squirrels don't like it very much...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!