!!!!!pet Store Mistreatment!!!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
leobreeder182
!!!!!pet Store Mistreatment!!!!!!!!

Well, I have a local pet store that contains leopard geckos, and there are adults, and babies, and neither one of them have a hide out, and the adulty did not have a hide out nor any water, so what do you think I should do, take a stand for action, and if nothing is done, then ask someone like at a local humaine society to conviskate them well I don't know how to spell that lol sorry, well I tried i'm only 12, so will someone please give me some advice!!!!!

From:Brent Allen email leosrule182@yahoo.com AIM albinoleodotcom

Old 02-11-2004, 02:46 AM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
Did the animals look healthy? Also, you may want to tell the store you are interested in a leopard gecko and ask if you need a hide and a water dish? They may say you do need them (likely they will, to at least drum up some more cash), then you can kindly point out that they don't have any in their cages. just an easy way to put the issue past them without pissing them off.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
Mistreatment of Petstores!

I know that everyone has seen petstores where the animals weren't getting ideal care and it's very easy to assume that petstores are inherently wrong and stupid and abusing their animals...

But there are literally hundreds of great retail pet stores which deal in reptiles and have top notch animals and perfect care.

If we're going to be honest here, unless a leopard gecko is really showing signs of stress, a hide spot isn't life or death. Yes, it would ideally have one and yes, given other stresses, it can have health effects but it also makes an animal harder to sell when nobody can see it.

Water is a major issue, but even there, you'll have to be careful when judging what is and is not acceptable. Yes, water should be avaliable twenty four hours a day, seven days a week... It's not always possible though. Most retail locations will check and fill or clean water bowls two or three times a day- if you go in immediately as they open (most have people working long before that point) and there's an empty bowl here or there for the desert species simply because the person responsible for filling them hasn't gotten to that part of the store yet, there really isn't a legitimate complaint.

If every bowl is bone dry and the animals are obviously dehydrated that's a different situation. A leaky bowl here or there or the fact that someone called in sick so their work is slightly delayed isn't justification to badmouth the store or the care the animals are getting.

Since I've gone off already on the subject... the only animals which never deficate are those which aren't eating- if there's a cage here or there were something has let loose it's last meal and nobody was waiting with their hand underneath it's vent to catch it, it's not the end of the world. If the animal is sitting in three weeks worth of dried up feces, that's a different story.

Animals come with a certain degree of predictable inpredictability, you know that eventually a snake will flip over it's water dish and hide beneath it, but nobody can say exactly when this will happen and be waiting to prevent it. If there is a store with a few hundred enclosures and a few thousand animals... some of those animals will have decided that it was time to have done so.

Perhaps I'm just getting a bit sick of the holier than thou attitude of some people who seem to feel that water dishes never run dry, animals never deficate or shed and have clearly never had anything in their care die unexpectedly for reasons which could not have been determined even by a vet. There is a massive difference between a pet store where the leopard geckos have gone to the bathroom in the corner of their tank and maybe a water bowl hasn't been filled yet and one where every animal is dying of neglect.

Oh yeah... and anyone who mentions that the baby sulcattas are upsidedown is asking to be punched. The idea that there's a symbiotic relationship in the wild where pet store owners and employees follow tortoises around turning them right side up seems to be way too widespread. If you give them a few minutes, the majority will make it back over on their own. They might flip on their backs twenty minutes later again, but they manage just fine by themselves.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:43 AM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
I agree with you there Seamus.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #5
diablohogs
Warning! give em a break.

yes, i agree with Intense Herpetoculture. and i really don't see a need to call PETA on this one. does the gecko look unhealthy? hows the fat accumilation on the tail?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!