Water frogs linked to illness in young kids (Salmonella) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Water frogs linked to illness in young kids (Salmonella)

Another Salmonella article not exactly earth shattering. I'm more afraid of raw chicken than amphibians and reptiles.

Quote:
Water frogs linked to illness in young kids
Frogs might be cute to look at but they might be hazardous to your children's health, which is why The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning parents to keep young kids away from water frogs and their habitats.

At least 241 people in the United States were sickened after being infected with Salmonella from African dwarf frogs. More than two-thirds of the ill were under age 10, and 30 percent of those infected were hospitalized, according to the CDC. Health officials say these frogs are not safe pets for children under 5 years old.

"People need to be aware that these water frogs as well as other amphibians and reptiles can carry salmonella that can make people sick," says Dr. Casey Barton Behravesh, an epidemiologist at the CDC. "In this particular outbreak there is a unique strain that has been linked with African frogs associated with a single facility," she adds.

Blue Lobster Farms, a frog breeding facility in Madera County, California, has been linked to the outbreak, according to the CDC. The company is breeds the majority of African dwarf frogs sold in the United States. The facility voluntarily stopped shipping the frogs in April after 222 people in 41 states were reportedly infected with Salmonella, according to the CDC. In June the company resumed shipments. Since then several more people have been sickened.

"Health care officials at the Madera County Department of Environmental Health are working with the owner of Blue Lobster Farms to conduct interventions as well as ongoing investigations," says Behravesh. But she adds, "We aren't sure if they are effective. We do know reports with this specific outbreak strain are ongoing."

These frogs are usually found in home aquariums or fish tanks and are commonly sold throughout the United States in pet stores, toy stores, novelty stores, the Internet, fairs and carnivals, but Behravesh says "any frog or ther amphibian is a potential risk for Salmonella."

Most of the victims have been children under 5 years old, some of whom were hospitalized according to the CDC. Salmonella can cause life-threatening illnesses and hospitalizations, particularly in children, elderly and immune-suppressed people such as cancer patients. Behravesh says "with school starting soon it's important for teachers to be aware and consider the age of children in their classroom to decide if an animal is appropriate," before putting children at risk.

The CDC recommends thorough hand washing after contact with frogs. But it goes further than that because water from the aquarium can be contaminated, so it's recommended to clean their tanks outside of the home to avoid contaminating surfaces inside the house. Parents need to remember that other amphibians and reptiles such as turtles can also spread Salmonella.
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...ds/?hpt=hp_bn6
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
rcarichter
Anyone out there know one single herp keeper or their child to contract salmonella? Anyone?? We're certainly not immaculately clean, or we wouldn't have so many animals in the house. Can't honestly say I'm even afraid of raw chicken. I wouldn't eat it, but I wouldn't eat a live frog either. I really hate these kind of stories!

Noelle

Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Foschi Exotic Serpents
Another fear mongering article! Hit the deck and take your children with you!

Will they ever give up? This is so ridiculous. Being alive is hazardous to your health. Get over it.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
wcreptiles
Investigation Update: Ongoing Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium - CDC Article

Investigation Update: Ongoing Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Associated with African Dwarf Frogs

Quote:
Highlights

This nationwide outbreak is ongoing. As of July 18, 2011, a total of 241 individuals infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium have been reported from 42 states since April 1, 2009. These infections are associated with African dwarf frogs–a type of water frog–and water from their habitats (e.g., tanks or aquariums).

Epidemiologic, traceback and laboratory findings between 2009 and 2011 link this ongoing nationwide outbreak of human Salmonella Typhimurium infections to a single African dwarf frog breeding facility in Madera County, California, Blue Lobster Farms. The owner of Blue Lobster Farms voluntarily stopped shipping African dwarf frogs in late April but resumed shipping the frogs in early June. These frogs may be found in pet stores, educational stores, toy stores, fairs, carnivals, from online retailers and other venues.

Public health officials with the Madera County Department of Environmental Health are currently working with the owner of Blue Lobster Farms to conduct interventions and ongoing testing and monitoring of the frog breeding facility. At this time, the effectiveness of these interventions is unknown, and reports of ill persons infected with the outbreak strain are continuing.

CDC is warning parents that children under 5 years old are at high risk for serious Salmonella infections and should avoid contact with water frogs, their water and their habitats (e.g. tanks or aquariums). Others who are at high risk and who should avoid contact with water frogs, their water and their habitats include: pregnant women, people who have weak immune systems, such as cancer patients, and those undergoing chemotherapy or organ transplants

As of July 18, 2011, a total of 241 individuals infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium have been reported from 42 states since April 1, 2009. The number of ill person identified in each state is as follows: Alaska (5), Alabama (2), Arizona (10), California (21), Colorado (12), Connecticut (3), Florida (1), Georgia (4), Idaho (5), Illinois (10), Indiana (1), Kansas (3), Kentucky (4), Louisiana (3), Massachusetts (7), Maryland (5), Michigan (6), Minnesota (1), Missouri (5), Mississippi (1), Montana (2), North Carolina (1), Nebraska (2), New Hampshire (4), New Jersey (5), New Mexico (2), Nevada (4), New York (8), Ohio (7), Oklahoma (2), Oregon (5), Pennsylvania (17), Rhode Island (1), South Dakota (3), Tennessee (4), Texas (5), Utah (19), Virginia (11), Vermont (1), Washington (24), Wisconsin (4) and West Virginia (1).
http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/water-...011/index.html

Read more (a lot more) on the CDC African Water Frog salmonella investigation at the above link.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Foschi Exotic Serpents
I still think it's nuts. I believe more people get food poisoning from eating at fast food places. Or from eating raw fish, steak, or other undercooked meat or eggs. It happens every single day.

Hell, my sister just got worms from working at a pig farm where they study the pigs and reproduction for school. Even though they were kept in an incredibly clean environment and the students always washed and wore gloves.

You just can't prevent everything. It's life. The more populated this world gets with people, the more populated it gets with germs, bacteria, and viruses. Life goes on.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
rcarichter
I've been to some pretty remote place places, and eaten whatever the locals were cooking at the time, handled reptiles where there simply was no place to wash my hands, and I've never gotten sick from it. (Water is another story--you have to be careful). But overall, I'm pretty sure it's not the little frogs.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!