ok spider freaks .... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
JungleHabitats
Talking Caught in a mosh

Old 06-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
robin d.
OH I KNOW ALAN

thats the kind that fit nicely under my pair of doc martins.... followed up with a nice fog of black knight "just in case"

Old 06-30-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
Sybella
Oh goodness!! That's incredible, Alan!! Will you send it to me, please? I homeschool my oldest, my daughter, and I have two younger boys...identifying and caring for that spider would make a nice science project.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
JungleHabitats

Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
Sybella
Please!!

And, NO jokes about stepping on it!!! It's beautiful!!!

Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
JungleHabitats

Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
I believe that is a type of Orb spider of the Araneus genus.
It is this group of spiders which produce the classic spider webs in the trees which are so beautiful when the dew is on them in the morning.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Sybella
I've done a whole bunch of online searching right now and I can't find that spider anywhere!! This is going to be a challenger. LOL!!

Yes, Alan...please do send it to me. (Yay!!!) Just put it in an appropriate sized pill bottle with pieces of shreaded cotton, like from a cotton ball. Then, put the pill bottle in a bed of newspaper in a small box. Spiders are very fragile but as long as it can't smack the plastic wall of the bottle hard, I think it will make the trip ok. A small 3 by 3 by 2 (?) box should only take a couple of days in the regular mail...it looks well fed!

My kids saw the pictures you posted and they're really excited! I know I'm going to have to fight them in "owning" it!

Old 07-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
John Apple
Clay is the closest

It's an araneus all right [not diadementus or quadratus] I am not sure until I find the book with that pic in it.
Also keep in mind it's a goegraphical varient, [same specie here in Mi. but with more orange on the legs and a lighter abdomen.
There is a pic in a gold-key book on arachnids....now if I can find it

Old 07-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
John Apple
araneus angulatus...took some time here..
As I said before these araneus can be quite different in looks.., hell look at araneus quadratus which can have an abdomen that can be purple, brown, tan, red, orange an almost black and a white variety with black rimed circles or spots [4 of em] all colors and such have black and white or brown and white banded legs and the typical 4 spots that quadratus has

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!