Genetic questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
SPJ
Genetic questions

I am a bit confused. I thought I knew a little about genetics but this is bugging me.

What is a 50% pastel and a 75% burgandy?
These are supposedly the results of breeding a normal male BP to a pastel female BP (50%'er) and breeding a normal male BP to a burgandy female BP (75%'er).

Also, what is a third generation albino boa when the boa is normal looking?

Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Sand&SunReptile
There is no such thing as a 50% Pastel Ball Python. 50% of the babies logically will be pastel, but either they are Pastel, or they aren't. Also, breeding a normal to a proven line of burgandy will result in all 100% Burgandy babies, if it is an unproven line, then they may or may not be 100% het babies but you dont get possible hets from breeding morphs to normals, unless there are heterozygous animals involved....

Old 12-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
robin d.
Quote:
Also, what is a third generation albino boa when the boa is normal looking?
now that one you got me on. I would stay clear of the persons responsible for those ( i am assuming) ads

Old 12-11-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
Sand&SunReptile
I agree with that Robin. No reason to buy from somebody (if this is a seller) who is saying all of this. Albinism doesnt just pop out of random normals. Only gene carrying animals will produce Albinos as I'm sure a lot of us know...

Old 12-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
SPJ
Yeah. They were ads. I am not sending this joker any money.
I thought it was all BS but figured I'd double check first. I don't want to respond to a seller and tell them they are full of it unless I am positive they are.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
Good to see some people still somewhat human. I have seen people get jumped on for backless accusations, and lose business because of such. Good to see you atleast make sure someone is wrong, and full of it before accusing them.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #7
SPJ
Question and answer time with the seller. LMAO. His replies are in red.

May I ask, what do you mean by "50% pastel and 75% burgandy"?

mother was a pastel father was a straight. father was burgundy mother was a staight......

If the mother was a pastel and the father was a normal, then these offspring are normal. Not 50% pastel. There are no hets since pastel is a dominant trait. A pastel to a normal will produce 1/2 pastels and 1/2 normals in the clutch. By calling them 50% pastels you are implying they carry the pastel gene which they do not. Calling them normals who are siblings to pastels would be the best terminology to use so as not to confuse anyone.
I'm not even going to try and figure out how you came up with 75% burgandy. That one doesn't even make any sense.

even if you have different parents you would still have both genes present,,one might show one might not...75 %burgundy meaning one was full the other half (meaning the parnets//!!!!!!!!!

Then the 50%'ers are really just normal. The pastel gene is dominant. They either have it and visually express it or they don't.

As far as the 75%'ers go, if you bred a 50% het for burgandy (which is a simple recessive trait) to a normal, you would have 33% hets. Not 75%'ers.

The animals are really all normals and a few possible hets for burgandy.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 AM   #8
robin d.
steven,
pastels are co-dominant... thats why you get a 50/50 split... otherwise if dominant when bred to a normal all offspring would be pastel... and i dont know jack about burgandy but if its recessive and from what i can comprehende from his response one parent is a burgandy and one is a het.... which would result in 50% burgandy's showing the trai and 50% het but appearing normal.... either way the guy doesnt know jack about genetics and may not even have the animals he says... just selling normals as some sorta hets for more... but it just makes him look like an ass

Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
Sand&SunReptile
Yeah. It is a growing problem, a real shame but there is nothing you can really do to stop it.
People are more frequently selling off their normals, or poss hets as 100% for this or that, just to add money. I've seen several times "hets" being bred together several seasons producing all normals every single time.
To anybody buying hets, buy from someone you know personally, or a reliable big breeder.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
pythonmdk
I don't really get the difference between co-dominant and dominant in pastels, doesn't co-dom mean that it is made up of several genes to make the phenotype? Jaguars are considered co dom because more variation have been seen to come out of the gene. Pastels x normal you get 50 50, but isn't that because they only carry one of the paired genes, there is super pastels but i haven't seen any pics, do they look different then normal pastels or can you only tell they are super when you breed them out and get all pastel babies? Just wondering that, and if so wouldn't that make pastels dominate not co dom.

Ya by the way that guy doesn't sound very reliable because burgany is recessive and maybe he has a wild caught one who isn't even proven and thats why it was 75% het and he was just blowing some smoke up your @$$? How much was he asking just out of curiosity.
John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!