BEARDED DRAGON HELP!!! INJURY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
roachbreeder
BEARDED DRAGON HELP!!! INJURY

hello, there is somthing wrong with my beardy. his front legs are sort of limp... he can move them, but can support his body well. I have looked for any swelling ect. and cant see anything wrong. He isnt eating either. Just yesterday he was enjoying some mealworms and superworms and i was playing with him. I dont know whats wrong, plz help me!

thanks

Old 05-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Tere Salazar
Is there anything he could have fallen from? If there is, I'd say get him to he vet.

If there isn't, let's go over some stuff quickly. How big is your dragon? What size is his tank? What type of lighting and heat do you have? Does he get calcium supplements?

Those are the main things I can think of right this second. So let's go from there. Okay?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
punkie
Your poor beardie! I have heard that if they get impacted they can become paralyzed. I'd get it to a vet asap unfortunately most vets aren't open on the weekends and will probably be closed until Tuesday due to Memorial day.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Crazy4Herps
I agree. Take him to a vet asap!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Gina Gauvin
Lightbulb Could be a few different reasons..

If there's a possibility you over fed him, you can help him by putting him in a sink of warm water that's chest high, for about 10 minutes. But stay with him with your hand in the water if he needs to lean on it. Usual symptoms are dragging rear legs.
Also, it could be if under or over supplemented. But he would be shaky and have a hard time aiming for crickets.
If you remember dropping him by accident it could have injured his spine. They're quick and accidents happen! Posting his age, diet, supplement schedule, lighting, will help pinpoint any problem and help correct it!
Concerning superworms, I err on the side of caution and don't feed them too many or every day. Usually 4-6 of them every other day when a young adult, on the side of the rest of their diet. The chitin in them takes time to digest and can bind if they become dehydrated.
Freshly rinsed greens and veggies, every day will help that. If he's not eating anything with moisture, dehydration copuld play a role in the problem. Also, with warmer months here have you watched the temperature's in your tanks well, because just one high heat day can cause neurological disorders.
Sprinkling the veggies in an empty bowl in the tank, daily will get his attention. He may eat them when he runs out of good stuff. Most problems start with husbandry, so work on that, get the info out here for us to help where we can!

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
angie.h
What size is your beardie?As Gina said,he may be too small for superworms...as for taking to a vet,be sure he/she is knowledgeable about herps.One thing that can help if it's possible that he has metabolic bone disease starting is get him out in the sun.This can also boost the appetite,and don't handle it too much.If you do put it out for sun exposure,be sure not to leave it unattended and be sure not to overheat This can possibly be the best treatment right now,and do so for about 20-30 min.at a time.Hope you can solve the problem!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bearded dragon, injury