Robert (Bob) Mackin.... Hope you don't need it in a hurry?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Neil Gubitz
Robert (Bob) Mackin.... Hope you don't need it in a hurry??

About 2 weeks ago, I had noticed an ad on KS selling LIVE MOSS.... I'm setting up a large enclosure for some Canary Chondros and they like it moist and humid.... The seller is Bob Mackin (EMa1689812@aol.com, (425) 746-9782).... I hadn't heard from him in a week or so, so I just figured he was out of live moss and let it drop, then on Saturday (March 18), I got an email from him saying that a "mini bale" would cost $31 (and change).... I PayPal'd him immediately with my shipping info and left it at that.... Then on Sunday (March 19), he emails me to tell me that the $31 was just for the "mini bale" and that the shipping would cost another $19 for PRIORITY SERVICE via UPS.... I figured, fine, he will ship it on Monday and I will have it by Thursday (at the latest).... Well, Today is now Friday (March 24) and I hadn't received it.... So I sent him an email asking what was up.... He emails me back telling me he just sent it out TODAY (probably because of my email, which WAS to the point), and he gave me a tracking number from UPS.... Well, tonight when I checked the number, I find out that he shipped it GROUND!!.... It won't arrive till NEXT Friday (March 31).... I emailed him immediately upon me finding out this info, and I told him how very disappointed I was, and that I was posting this thread.... I also told him that if he needed the extra shipping money that badly, he could KEEP IT!!....
Needless to say, I will never do business with him again, no matter what his live moss looks like.... Not one word to keep me informed untill I emailed him.... NOT very professional....
This is really not a big deal, but he sure didn't so what he said he would.... Just BE CAREFUL when dealing with him, and MAKE SURE you plan ahead.... you might have a long wait....

Neil

Old 03-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Corey Woods
Neil,

You've really gotten bent out of shape over $31 in moss. Is it really worth your time, effort and the stress to worry about moss that is going to be a week late? Sure it would probably aggrivate me a little........maybe even cause me to not do business with the person again.......but I probably wouldn't have a melt down on the BOI about it. Seems to me that there are bigger fish to worry about. Maybe next time someone takes 2 weeks to return your email you should realize they really don't want your business and deal with someone who does. There must be more people selling moss than this guy???????

Corey

Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
Neil Gubitz
Corey.... You're absolutely correct.... and as I said in the last paragraph.... it's really NOT a big deal.... He just really ticked me off with his total lack of professionalism and then turns right around and screws me for a little shipping money.... Again.... it was no big deal, I just wanted to vent.... As far as I'm concerned.... It's over....

Neil

Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Corey Woods
Good luck with the Canary Chondro's!............

Corey

Old 03-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
CheriS
I have to disagree with the dollar amount making it trivial in someone's eyes. It is not about the money, be it a $15 monitor, $200 dragon, $1000 gecko or a $25,000 snake, its about a person's ethics and principal.... yes the dollar amount can make you grasp more, but it still is a rip off.

Don't you think that someone who screws another over a time factor, does not bother to keep the buyer informed about changes and rips off any amount of small money, is more apt to really fry someone over larger amounts? I sure do!

Just look on the BOI how many really big problems trace back to some minor actions and they just grow until someone was seriously hurt financially by someones actions.

Another thing, $31 may not mean much to you, but to a kid still in school or in college, it can be the most they have all month to spend on extras for their animals.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Art Klass
I agree with you Cheri. It's black or it's white. There is no grey area in business. You are either honest and hold high moral values with integrity or you don't. What is "professional most of the time"? Nothing. A couple buck here, a few dollars there and the next thing you know it you majorly screwed someone. Neil, you were right to post in the BOI to expose a potential fledgling scammer. Art Klass

Old 03-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Neil Gubitz
I just can't wait to see what LIVE MOSS is going to look like after spending a WEEK in transit with no water and freezing cold temps.... It's coming from Washington State!!.... Man, did I put my foot in it on this one....

As long as it helps someone else, I'm satisfied....

Neil

Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
reptilebreeder
I agree with Cheri and Art. The past several months there are one or two people posting on the BOI, that the complaint is not "worthy" of the BOI, so they "sidetrack" the thread with a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Obviously their opinion. Whether the deal involves outright scamming, or apparently less important stuff like morals, honesty, and ethics, it can have it's place on the BOI. Poor customer service and charging someone for shipping one way (the expensive option), and then shipping another way (less expensive), is as big an issue ethically as any other of the problems on the BOI. If you are going to rip someone of on a $30 charge think about their ethics when it comes to a big dollar purchase.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
KNOBTAIL
Its a direct result of

very poor or just not caring business ethics. The amount is irrelevant, but dealing with the customer in a reasonable time frame is. Apparently the shipper knew very well in advance that Neil was in need of the moss. What would have been the big deal in a simple email for some clarification.

Had the sale went smoothly, I am sure Neil would have referred him to other potential buyers or possibly purchased more himself. This is the problem with people who get into this business without any moral consciousness , and have no compulsion to inconvenience anyone once they get their money in advance.

Thank you Neil for bringing this kind of person to the BOI. These are the worst offenders. You would be surprised how many $ 31.00 losses occur on a daily basis in this industry, by these louses who get a way with it all the time , thinking that because the dollar amount is so small, no one will be the wiser....................Is he wrong!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
Neil Gubitz
Well, even though I had to wait two weeks to get it, when I paid for PRIORITY service, and even though he, basically, ripped me off for a little shipping money.... I've got to admit, the LIVE MOSS is just what was described.... very well packaged and bright LIVE green.... Which makes this even MORE unfortunate, because I would LOVE to get more from him, but there's NO WAY!!.... I just won't do business with someone who has ethics like that, and that's a shame....

Neil

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!