Help Don't know what to do with a Tail Nip - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Titobattilocchi
Help Don't know what to do with a Tail Nip

So I have a Dragon that had its tail nipped about two inches back from the tip. I have separated the two Dragons and she seems to be doing fine. Her tail was just hanging their but know it is not limp. It looks like it is broke but there was no blood when it happened. I was told to just let it take it's coarse either it will fall off or it will heal its self. Would like some more input to help me decide what I should do. Thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Gina Gauvin
antibiotic ointment

Hi Jeff,
You can soak her daily in warm water to keep it clean till it heals. You can put a triple antibiotic ointment on it to speed healing. It's always good to have an antiseptic wash on hand. I use Povidone. It's the generic brand of Betadine, and can be bought at CVS over the counter (probably in the antibiotic ointment isle, for about $20.
If you do use Povidone, you should dilute it, till it is the color of a weak tea. Soak the dragon in plain water to get him to drink and eliminate, then empty the bowl and add the diluted povidone letting him soak about 5 minutes. Dry and add antibiotic ointment. Keep him on papertowel in tank. The same can be done for amputated fingers and feet.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
john.r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Gauvin View Post
Hi Jeff,
You can soak her daily in warm water to keep it clean till it heals. You can put a triple antibiotic ointment on it to speed healing. It's always good to have an antiseptic wash on hand. I use Povidone. It's the generic brand of Betadine, and can be bought at CVS over the counter (probably in the antibiotic ointment isle, for about $20.
If you do use Povidone, you should dilute it, till it is the color of a weak tea. Soak the dragon in plain water to get him to drink and eliminate, then empty the bowl and add the diluted povidone letting him soak about 5 minutes. Dry and add antibiotic ointment. Keep him on papertowel in tank. The same can be done for amputated fingers and feet.

Good luck!
how do you no about the fingers and feet have you amputated many

Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Gina Gauvin
I'm not a vet

No, I don't think I have the stomach to amputate or operate. I'm better at putting broken things back together. Sometimes lizards attack each other, either because their hungry, or just in close confined areas. And they bite off toes, sometimes so badly they lose a foot. The above treatment is good enough for when that happens, providing you keep them clean.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
john.r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.r1 View Post
how do you no about the fingers and feet have you amputated many
i thought you was talking about humans when you said amputate fingers and feet . how stupid

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Titobattilocchi
Thanks I will have to try that. What should I do if the tail starts to turn black. Will it just fall off over time or do I have to cut it off. Thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
CarolinaClassicDragons
The dead tissue will fall off. Just follow Gina's advice and all will be fine. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Titobattilocchi
So her tail is turning Black where it was bitten and it is really hard unless I soak her in water then it softens up. So I don't know how long it is going to take to break off or if it is even going to. What do you think I should do, I can try and take a photo and post it on hear if it would help you to determine what I should do.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
offroad537
if the tail came off then theres really nothing you can do. It might grow back some but not all the way. but if its nip it should heal up in couple sheeds.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Titobattilocchi
The tail ended up falling off today, about two weeks later. I'm just happy it still looks pretty good, it could have been worse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!