Climate Control Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Asutti
Climate Control Help

Hi,
So i own a juvenile ball python (Slinky) and i have a glass tank, the humidity is fine since i spray it atleast 2x a day and wrapped half the top with plastic wrap, but the heat seems to be seeping out. I have a heat day light on him during the day and i have a heating pad on under the tank 24/7, but since the thermometer says it is about 50 degrees inside the tank i bought a space heater and keep it on the tank all the time and it is at a steady 80 degrees on the hot side. Slinky doesn't seem to mind it either way he sleeps all day and comes out around 8pm like normal. He hands out around his log/tree in the basking spot, so not on the hot side nor on the cold side just in the middle. i just wanted to make sure that he is ok and not getting to cold and if i need to get a night heat light or not, so any tips or help is welcomed!

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
bcr229
Please tell me the 50*F inside the tank is a typo. That is way too cold. Or are you measuring right after you spray with water straight from the tap? If so fill the spray bottle and let it sit for a few hours to come up to room temp before spraying.

Is your UTH regulated by a thermostat? Unregulated they can get hot enough to burn your snake which makes for either a dead snake or an expensive vet bill, or both.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Randall Turner
First welcome to the forum, you'll find a large number of great keepers to provide help regarding many topics.

Regarding heating issues for your tank, I would wrap the tanks back and sides with some insulation, it'll help with heat loss since glass is a notorious heat sink. Regarding your ball python not showing any signs of distress, they are pretty durable and can appear fine when they aren't, with symptoms eventually showing up and quickly going down hill from there.

I hope you are successful dealing with your heating issues. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Asutti
Thats a good idea, it is very hard to keep heat in the tank as you said. I will be sure to keep a close eye on him to make sure he is ok

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Asutti
That was the starting off temp, once i put in the heat lamp and space heater next to the tank it warmed up to about 80 degrees. So i think the space heater is a good fit, im going to wrap the tank in insulation as well to make sure it stay warm and probably purchase a night heating lamp. And as for my UTH it is just one of those snake ones that are said to make sure their underbelly temp is good, i will be sure to check the heat coming from the bottom of the tank to make sure it isn't too hot. So i guess my plan is a day light, UTH, and space heater on during the day and a night heat light and UTH on during the night and the whole tank wrapped in insulation

Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asutti View Post
And as for my UTH it is just one of those snake ones that are said to make sure their underbelly temp is good, i will be sure to check the heat coming from the bottom of the tank to make sure it isn't too hot.
Get

A

Thermostat

Last year I took in a severely burned ball python; she died after $400 in vet bills.

Two weeks ago I took in a mildly burned ball python; he will likely recover.

Neither owner used a thermostat because they were told by the big box pet store employee that it wasn't necessary. It is.

They can be had for $30 on Amazon. Get one.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Asutti
Ok i will be sure to get one! Im sorry for those snakes, i've always loved snakes but i am on a tight budget but will do everything i can to make sure my snake is safe and well taken care of. I see him growing to 4 feet one day wrapped around me watching TV XD

Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
she died after $400 in vet bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
They can be had for $30 on Amazon.
Quote:
i am on a tight budget
$400>$30. Being on a tight budget makes it all the more imperative to provide the best care possible for your animal, since you can less afford to create a problem that will be a serious financial burden.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
Asutti
Hello everyone, I am happy to report that the climate and humidity are perfect in Slinky's tank!! The humidity is around 60% and the temp is in the mid 90s. Thanks for all your guys help and for your great suggestions like the insulation (which I did end up wrapping the cage in, big help and difference!) And making sure I know the temp of the UTH.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Hello everyone, I am happy to report that the climate and humidity are perfect in Slinky's tank!! The humidity is around 60% and the temp is in the mid 90s. Thanks for all your guys help and for your great suggestions like the insulation (which I did end up wrapping the cage in, big help and difference!) And making sure I know the temp of the UTH.
I'm glad things are looking up.

Mid 90s is the hot spot, right, and the ambient temp is cooler?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!